Let's Picnic...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Let's Picnic...

Post by Tarabeth on Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:44 pm

Over the next few days Dizzy and I will post recipes of some of the favorite foods of the beloved Falls Chance Ranch men.  These will include: 

• Funnel Cake
  • Grilled Trout
  • Cowboy Rolls
  • Plum Jam
  • Grilled Fish Kabobs with dipping sauces
  • Moonshine
  • One of Paul's cakes -- Plum Skillet Cake

We highly encourage you to share your favorite picnic food recipes as well.  
Tarabeth
Polar Bear Wrangler

http://tarabeth1012.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Funnel Cake

Post by Tarabeth on Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:56 pm

"They stood at a magic show eating some sugary confection that Riley referred to as a funnel cake..."
                                                - Mustang Hill Chapter 2

Ingredients

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 Tablespoons brown sugar, packed
  • 2 Tablespoon white sugar
  • ¾ cup whole milk
  • 1 egg
  • powdered sugar
  • strawberries, sliced (optional)
  • Whip Cream (optional)

Instructions

[list="box-sizing: border-box; margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-left: 0px; line-height: inherit;"]
[*]In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
[*]In a large bowl beat brown sugar, white sugar, milk and egg until well blended.
[*]Add half of the flour mixture into the egg mixture, beating just until incorporated and then beat in the other half of mixture.
[*]Let the funnel cake mixture rest for about 10 minutes. Pour the batter into a liquid measuring cup to make it easier to pour into the funnel. Prepare your desired topping while waiting like slicing strawberries, etc)
[*]Heat oil in a skillet to about 365 to 370 degrees.
[*]Pour a third of the mixture into a funnel. Use your finger to cover the end of the funnel.
[*]Hold the end of the funnel close to the oil and then remove your finger.
[*]Quickly make circles in the oil using a spiraling motion.
[*]Fry until lightly golden, about 1-3 minutes and then flip. Fry the other side until golden.
[*]Remove funnel cake from the oil and let drain on a paper towel.
[*]Garnish and serve immediately with powdered sugar, strawberries and whip cream. 
[/list]

Notes
~TIPS~ Make sure oil is just right (between 365-370 degrees) If oil is too hot, cakes will burn. Too cold, cakes will be greasy and soggy. Serve these funnel cakes hot out of the oil. Cold funnel cakes suck! Top with fresh fruits, canned fruits in syrup, or chocolate. Powdered sugar is a MUST always.  

This recipe comes from Divas Can Cook http://divascancook.com/funnel-cake-recipe-how-to-make-easy-funnel-cakes/
Tarabeth
Polar Bear Wrangler

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's Picnic...

Post by Tarabeth on Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:01 pm

Dizzy thought we should invite him to the picnic...
Tarabeth
Polar Bear Wrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by Mackenzietwin on Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:12 pm

Tarabeth, I love the recipe for funnel cake although I believe an essential step was left out.  When garnishing with powdered sugar, it is also necessary to garnish with CHOCOLATE!!!!  Just mentioning that important step for those out there who didn't know.  (While pure melted chocolate is the best for this, chocolate ganche, chocolate "syrup", or Nutella may be substituted if necessary.
Mackenzietwin
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarabeth on Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:15 pm

Ah Mac I was adding Chocolate as you were typing The Cook

Optional Funnel Cake Toppings: 

* apple pie filling
* lemmon curd
* cherry pie filling
* hot fudge
* Nutella 
* ice cream
* rainbow sprinkles
* marshmallow topping
* chocolate chips
* bananas
* peaches
* butterscotch sauce
* Cinnamon
* maple syrup
*chocolate sauce

Last edited by Tarabeth on Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Tarabeth
Polar Bear Wrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by Mackenzietwin on Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:51 pm

SPEEDY CINNAMON ROLLS
(Speedy because it is not my 3-10 day starter plus overnight rise)

2 cups plus 4 ½ cups bread flour (although I have used all purpose)
2 cups warm water (105-115 F) (40-46 C)
½ cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 packages active dry yeast (One package of yeast is 2 and 3/4 teaspoons of yeast)
2 eggs
1/3 cup lard (I use shortening)
6 tablespoons margarine or butter, softened
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

In a large bowl combine 2 cups of flour with water sugar salt and yeast
Beat the mixture for 2 min with a wooden spoon (I use a stand mixer), then add the eggs and lard.
Stir until well blended.
Gradually add the remaining 4 ½ cups flour to mixture and stir until firm dough is formed.
Cover bowl and set in a warm area to rest for 20 min (I cover with a wet dish towel)

After resting, punch dough down, divide it in half and form into two balls.
On floured surface, roll one ball out as thinly as possible.  (I go for a rectangle shape)
Brush half of the softened margarine evenly over the dough.
Sprinkle with half the brown sugar and half of the cinnamon.
Roll the dough up like a jelly roll. And cut into slices about ½ in thick (I get about 12 slices. Easiest is to cut roll in half and set the two halves next to each other and cut each into thirds)
Place slices about ½ inch apart in a buttered jelly-roll pan (casserole dish works for this also)

Repeat  the same steps with the second ball of dough.

Place the rolls in a warm area and allow to rise for about 45 min or until double in size. (I cover again)

Preheat oven to 350 F (176 C)

After the rise, bake for 15-20 min until golden brown.  Allow to cool for 15 min.

For those who use measurements instead of cups, check out http://dish.allrecipes.com/cup-to-gram-conversions/ for conversion amounts

FOR ICING

Unfortunately, my icing recipe is harder to give.  I don’t know how much of anything I use for it. 

Put a stick of soft butter in a bowl and a bit of confectioners sugar (to start). Begin mixing with a hand mixer (or a stand mixer).  Slowly add more sugar.  Add a bit of milk and vanilla to taste.  Keep adding sugar until it’s the right consistency and taste.

Depending on how rich you want it, you can make glaze with just confectioners sugar, vanilla, and milk. Leave the butter out.
Mackenzietwin
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger52899 on Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:00 pm

I love you lot! group hug

I was just coming to start some threads and find you're already here and getting started, what a lovely bunch of people you are.

I'll be back later to offer some additions, I cant wait to try the funnel cake!
Ranger52899
Womble in Charge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mackenzietwin on Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:18 pm

In honor of Paul

Homemade Bread

2 and 3/4 teaspoons of yeast
2 ½ cups lukewarm water
Lard (amount the size of an egg)
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
Enough bread flour to make a soft dough (4-6 cups??)

In a small bowl, dissolved the yeast in ½ cup warm water. Set aside for about 5 min
In large bowl, combine the lard, sugar, salt and the remaining 2 cups of water.
Add the yeast mixture and stir to combine.
Add the flour, ½ cup at a time, mixing until the dough is elastic and doesn’t stick to the sides of the bowl
Cover the bowl loosely with plastic wrap or a damp cloth and let the dough rise until double in size, about 1 ½ hours in a warm, draft free place.  ( I tend to let rise in my oven with the oven off)

Punch the dough down and form it into two loaves with your hands.  Place each half into a greased 5x9 in loaf pan. (So making 2 loaves of bread)
Cover with a damp cloth and let rise again until the dough is level with the loaf pan, about an hour.

Preheat oven to 325 F

Bake bread for about 45 min.  The bread will sound hollow when tapped.  After removing bread from the oven, brush with butter or margarine for a softer crust. Remove the bread from the pans and cool on a wire rack.  After completely cool, it can be stored in a sealed bag and frozen for up to 6 months. If bread is stored in a sealed plastic bag at room temperature, it should be consumed within 4 days.
Mackenzietwin
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dizzy on Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:36 pm

The men love to go fishing.  It tends to calm them and make them one with the world around them.   Here's a Grilled Trout recipe from http://allrecipes.com/

• 2 whole trout, cleaned
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
  • 1 pinch coarse sea salt to taste
  • 1 pinch ground black pepper

• lemon, thinly sliced

• 1/2 sweet onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
  • 2 sprigs fresh thyme

[list="yiv5760846265list-numbers yiv5760846265recipe-directions__list"]
[*]Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil the grate.
[*]Rub each trout generously with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt; sprinkle inside of cavities with salt and black pepper. Place half the lemon and onion slices into cavity of each trout, along with minced garlic, and place a sprig of rosemary and thyme into cavities.
[*]Turn preheated grill down to low and place the trout directly onto the grill; cook until flesh flakes easily and the skins are browned, 6 to 7 minutes per side, flipping once.
[/list]

Let's all go fishing and enjoy some fresh trout!

Dizzy
Dizzy
Hike Leader

http://dj-wl.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Trisha Louise on Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:48 pm

God those cinnamon rolls. Worth transporting across state lines and two flights, I tell you.
Trisha Louise
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dizzy on Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:58 pm

@Tarabeth wrote:

Dizzy thought we should invite him to the picnic...

Oh, yes, please, Tarabeth.   I think this is the most delicious dish of all!!  I'd have no problem at all eating him all up. Very Happy

Dizzy
Dizzy
Hike Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Trisha Louise on Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:01 pm

You remembered the funnel cake! You stars!
Trisha Louise
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mackenzietwin on Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:26 pm

"These are Cornish pasties." Dale said in surprise through a mouthful of warm pasty. - FCR

Cornish Pasty Recipe
This recipe is for six good sized Cornish pasties.

Ingredients

For shortcrust pastry (rough puff can also be used):

500 g strong bread flour (it is important to use a stronger flour than normal as you need the extra strength in the gluten to produce strong pliable pastry)
120 g lard or white shortening
125 g butter
1 tsp salt
175 ml cold water

For the filling:

450 g good quality beef skirt, cut into cubes
450 g potato, diced
250 g swede, diced
200 g onion, sliced
Salt & pepper to taste( 2:1 ratio)
Beaten egg or milk to glaze

Method
1. Rub the two types of fat lightly into flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
2. Add water, bring the mixture together and knead until the pastry becomes elastic. This will take longer than normal pastry but it gives the pastry the strength that is needed to hold the filling and retain a good shape. This can also be done in a food mixer.
3.Cover with cling film and leave to rest for 3 hours in the fridge. This is a very important stage as it is almost impossible to roll and shape the pastry when fresh.
4.Roll out the pastry and cut into circles approx. 20cm diameter. A side plate is an ideal size to use as a guide.
5.Layer the vegetables and meat on top of the pastry, adding plenty of seasoning.
6.Bring the pastry around and crimp the edges together (see guide to crimping).
7.Glaze with beaten egg or an egg and milk mixture.
8.Bake at 165 degrees C (fan oven) for about 50 55 minutes until golden.

Top tips:
Beef skirt is the cut traditionally used for Cornish pasties. This is the underside of the belly of the animal. It has no gristle and little fat cooks in the same amount of time as the raw vegetables and its juice produces wonderful gravy.

Use a firm waxy potato such as Maris Peer or Wilja. A floury potato will disintegrate on cooking.

How to crimp

Crimping is one of the secrets to a true Cornish pasty. A good hand crimp is usually a sign of a good handmade pasty.

To crimp a Cornish pasty;
1. Lightly brush the edge of the pastry with water.
2. Fold the other half of pastry over the filling and squeeze the half circle edges firmly together.
3. Push down on the edge of the pasty and using your index finger and thumb twist the edge of the pastry over to form a crimp.
4. Repeat this process along the edge of the pasty.
5.When you’ve crimped along the edge, tuck the end corners underneath.

Other types of Pasties.  Fruit and Chocolate. 

Ingredients

Pastry:
9 1/2 ounces all-purpose flour, approximately 2 cups
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2 1/2 ounces shortening, approximately 6 tablespoons
3/4 cup milk
1 egg mixed with 1 to 2 teaspoons water
Vegetable, canola oil or butter, for frying

Curried Mango Filling:
4 mangos, peeled and diced, approximately 2 cups or 12 ounces
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice

Chocolate Filling:
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
Pinch kosher salt
10 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
Add Checked Items To Grocery List

Directions
Pastry:

In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, baking powder and salt (purpose is to sift and to mix, so can use a sifter instead of a food processor for this step if you want). Pulse for a few seconds and then pour into a large mixing bowl.

Add the shortening and knead it into the flour with your hands until it is crumbly. Add the milk all at once and mix in with a spatula until it begins to come together. Lightly flour your hands and the countertop and turn the dough out onto the countertop. Knead the dough ball, folding over 10 to 20 times. Using a rolling pin roll the dough to 1/3 to 1/2-inch thickness, then cut into rounds using a 2 1/4-inch ring. Roll each round as thinly as possible or to 5 to 6 inches in diameter. Spoon 1 to 2 tablespoons of filling (SEE BELOW) onto the dough, brush the edges of half of the dough lightly with the egg wash, fold over and seal the edges together with the tines of a fork, dipping it into flour as needed. Gently press down to flatten and evenly distribute the filling and snip or cut 3 slits in the top of the pie. Dock pies that are going to be deep-fried, instead of snipping or cutting slits.

To pan-fry pies, place a medium saute pan over medium low heat along with 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable, canola oil or butter. Once heated, place 2 to 3 pies at a time into pan and saute until golden on both sides, approximately 3 to 4 minutes per side. Allow to cool 4 to 5 minutes before serving.

To deep-fry pies, heat vegetable oil in a deep-fryer or a large heavy pot to 375 degrees F. Once hot, add 1 to 2 pies at a time and fry until golden brown, approximately 3 to 4 minutes.

To bake pies, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place finished pies onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Curried Mango Filling:

Place all of the ingredients into a small saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a bowl and place in refrigerator to cool completely before using as filling.

For each pie place 1 to 2 tablespoons onto the center of the dough. Follow directions above.

Yield: enough for 10 to 15 pies

Chocolate Filling:

Place the sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and butter into a large zip-top bag and squish to combine. Cut a whole in 1 corner of the bag.

For each pie, pipe 1 to 2 tablespoons of mixture onto the center of the dough. Follow directions above.

Yield: enough for 10 to 15 pies

Mackenzietwin
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Stocking on Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:33 pm

Macaroni and Cheese for Dale and Riley
(This is a slight variation on the Mueller's Recipe that I make for my family).

NOTE:  I use twice as much cheese as recommended and bake it until the top is slightly burned (yummy!).  I normally triple the recipe since it makes wonderful leftovers.

Ingredients
8 ounces Mueller's Elbows
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 cups milk
2 tablespoons  butter
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese, divided

Preheat oven to 375°F. 
Cook pasta 6  minutes. Drain. 
In medium saucepan, combine cornstarch, salt & pepper in medium  saucepan. Stir in milk until smooth. Add butter, stirring constantly.
 Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil 1 minute.
Remove from heat. Stir in 1-3/4 cups cheese until melted. Add cooked pasta. Pour into greased 2-quart casserole. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. 
Bake uncovered 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.

Last edited by Blue stocking on Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:38 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : formatting--both times)
Blue Stocking
Three Trader's Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Trisha Louise on Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:05 pm

*drops ten years of Dale's Hotel Room Chocolates on the picnic rug*
Trisha Louise
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dizzy on Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:12 pm

With so many yummy dishes at our picnic (and I've already sent the Mac and cheese one to the Nenaderthal-double yummy!), I thought we might like some special picnic plates.  These have cup holders on the plate!
Dizzy
Hike Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by KateM on Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:56 pm

Okay, not sure if Paul's ever tried making them, but I am sure they'd go down better than other "fiddly foods"

Scotch Eggs

• 10 large free-range eggs , 2 beaten
  • 800 g quality sausage meat
  • 1 small bunch fresh chives , finely chopped
  • 1 small bunch fresh parsley , leaves picked and finely chopped
  • 1 whole nutmeg
  • 1 tablespoon English mustard
  • sea salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • plain flour , for dusting
  • 150 g good-quality white breadcrumbs
  • 2 litres vegetable oil
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable or corn oil

Often, the best way to get quality sausage meat is to buy some really lovely sausages, slit them open, then squeeze out the meat. I like my Scotch eggs a little runny in the middle, but if you like a harder boiled centre, simply boil them for an extra couple of minutes at the start.

You want the pork cooked through, the outside golden and crispy and the inside hot and runny. That’s when you know you’ve got yourself a good Scotch egg. 

Put the first 8 eggs into a pan of cold water and bring to the boil. Boil for 3 to 4 minutes, then transfer to a bowl of cold water. Once cooled, carefully peel them. 

Put the sausage meat into another bowl with the herbs, a good grating of nutmeg, the mustard and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Give it all a good mix together then divide into 8 balls. 

Have 3 plates ready - one with a small handful of flour, one with the beaten eggs and a third with the breadcrumbs. To make the Scotch eggs, start by flouring your hands. In the palm of one hand, flatten one of the sausage balls into an oval-shaped pattie. Roll a peeled egg in flour, then pop it in the middle of the pattie. Gently shape the meat evenly around the egg, moulding it with your hands. 

Roll the meat-wrapped egg in the flour, shake off any excess, then dip into the beaten egg, followed by the breadcrumbs. Roll in the egg and breadcrumbs again for a really good coating. 

Heat the oil in a deep pan or deep fat fryer to about 150ºC/300ºF. If you have a cooking thermometer it’s a good idea to use it. Otherwise, test if the oil is hot enough by adding a piece of potato and leaving it for about a minute – if it sizzles and browns, it’s ready. Carefully lower the eggs into the pan and cook for about 4 minutes, turning them every so often, until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. (If you’re worried about the meat being under-cooked, deep-fry the scotch eggs until they’re golden and crispy, then pop them in a hot oven for a couple of minutes.) 

Cool the eggs slightly, then arrange them on board with a good piece of Scottish Cheddar, some pickle and a few pickled onions

Recipe courtesy of  http://www.jamieoliver.com

Vegetarian alternative - substitute the sausage meat with "sos-mix" or similar but really season well
KateM
Bunkhouse & Hot Springs Guest

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:37 pm

Wow - GREAT recipes.  Lots to try.
jkfan
Honorary Ranch Family Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kinneydu on Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:06 am

Mmmmm yes.  Have to make a special folder for these recipes, and give them a try.  I still find my favourite picnic food is the good old bacon and egg pie - with tomato, and lots and lots of cheese!

kinneydu
Foal

Back to top Go down

Post by Dizzy on Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:13 am

@kinneydu wrote:Mmmmm yes.  Have to make a special folder for these recipes, and give them a try.  I still find my favourite picnic food is the good old bacon and egg pie - with tomato, and lots and lots of cheese!

Kinneydu, if you have a recipe, I'd love to have it.  It's sounds fabulous!

Dizzy
Dizzy
Hike Leader

Back to top Go down

Moonshine Mash/Beer Recipe Video with instructions

Post by Tarabeth on Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:21 am

Flynn took the chair behind the desk and poured two generous glasses of slightly amber fluid from the uncorked bottle, pushing one over to me. I recognised the scent of it. 

“David’s bootleg stuff?” 

“This is from the new haul Dale and Riley found, to do with the train Dale’s been researching.” Flynn leaned back in his chair, propping one knee against the side of the desk as I took the armchair across from him. “Remind me to tell you that story when you’ve got an hour.”

I

Last edited by Tarabeth on Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tarabeth
Polar Bear Wrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by kinneydu on Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:37 am

Bacon and Egg pie recipe - okay, it's really easy.  You roll out some pastry to fit the bottom of a large pie plate, then you can blind bake the pastry if you wish until it is just starting to brown.  Then lay chopped bacon over the pastry.  Beat together about 6 eggs (more or less depending on the size of the pie you are making), then add whatever - slices of tomato, onion, etc.  Corn kernels are nice.  Then sprinkle over grated cheese.  I don't put a top on the pie, but some people do.  Or strips of pastry latticed over is nice as well.  Bake at 180 degrees C (I guess that is about 360 degrees F) for about 30 minutes, or until egg is set and cheese all melted.  Then enjoy.

kinneydu
Foal

Back to top Go down

Post by kinneydu on Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:39 am

Also, you can not beat the eggs - just break them over the bacon etc.  Also nice.

kinneydu
Foal

Back to top Go down

Post by kinneydu on Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:00 am

I just realised that sounds more like a quiche - but the pie plate should be a shallow one, and it is probably better to leave the eggs whole.

kinneydu
Foal

Back to top Go down

Post by alunmo on Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:15 am

Dale was making his way back through the woods towards the bank when he heard a giggle. A child’s giggle. It was a happy sound, somewhere through the trees to his left, and as he looked, he saw her. Perhaps four or five years old, barefoot, dark haired, in a faded blue cotton dress, running down the path towards him. She was singing to herself and the sound was faint and very slightly out of kilter, like the movement of her dress and hair. The song was in German. Dale crouched down, bringing himself much nearer to her height, and said softly, “Guten tag!” 

The 'must have' for every german picnic:

Nudelsalat

Ingredients

400g    pasta (Spirelli or Farfalle)
250g  ham, cut into cubes
150g  Cheese (Gouda or Appenzeller), cut into cubes
150g  yoghurt
3       bell peppers, cut into stripes
1         can of corn
1       red onion, finely chopped
3       hard boiled eggs, cut into cubes
salt, pepper and mustard

Instructions

Cook pasta until al dente to the package directions. Drain and add other ingedients. Mix well and chill for at least 2-3 hours.

Best regards,
Andy

alunmo
Foal

Back to top Go down

Post by Karvd on Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:18 pm

“Not real food.” Flynn leaned in the pantry doorway, looking until Paul reached past him with an exasperated sigh and put a tin of large, rough edged chocolate cookies in his hand.

The kind of cookies Finn would approve:
Oatmeal Cookies

http://www.joyofbaking.com/OatmealCookies.html

Karvd

Back to top Go down

Post by Dizzy on Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:19 pm

In Freeman's Field, Jasper talks of plum jam.   I thought maybe some plum jam would go well with the homemade bread.

"A wild plum." Jasper said with his mouth full. "Jam should be good come fall."  Freeman's Field

Plum Jam

About 3 pounds plums

3 cups of sugar

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Directions to Make Plum Jam

1. Rinse plums and remove pits. Finely chop or force plums through a food chopper.

2. Place plums in a heavy-bottomed, 4-quart pot, stir in sugar and lemon juice and let stand for 15 minutes.

3. Bring the pot to a boil over high heat—about 10 minutes–mashing the fruit with a potato masher. Stir occasionally to make sure the fruit does not stick to the bottom. Bubbles will rise to the top of the mix. You will see chunks of fruit in the mixture. Skim foam off top and lift and discard skins with a fork if desired. Cook on until the showing mixture thickens and clings to a spoon, falling off in clumps, another 10 minutes or so.

4. In the meantime, scald half-pint jars in a large pot with a fitted rack. Soak lids in a pan of hot water to soften the rubber seal. Lift jars out of hot water one at a time, draining water.

5. Ladle hot jam into hot jars using a wide-mouth funnel or transfer the jam to a heat-proof pitcher and pout into jars. Leave ½ inch headspace. Slide nonmetallic spatula between jam and jar to release trapped air bubbles.

6. Wipe rims and threads of jar with a clean, damp cloth. Remove lid from hot water and place on jar. Screw each band down evenly and firmly until resistance is met. Place jars rack and lower into boiling-water canner until they are covered by about 1 inch of water.

7. Put lid on canner. Bring water to a boil. Process ½ pints 10 minutes at a gentle but steady boil. (Start keeping time after water comes to rolling boil.)

8. Turn off heat and remove canner lid. Let canner cool 5 minutes then remove jars and set them upright on a dry towel or rack. Do not retighten bands. Let jars cool 12 to 24 hours.

9. After jars have cooled, check lids for a good vacuum seal: pressing the center of each lid. If center is pulled down and does not flex remove the band. If the lid does not flex and cannot lift it off, the seal is set. Wipe lid and jar with a clean, damp cloth. Label each jar. Store jam in a cool, dry, dark place. 

Recipe from harvettotable.com

Dizzy
Dizzy
Hike Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Dizzy on Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:31 pm

@kinneydu wrote:Also, you can not beat the eggs - just break them over the bacon etc.  Also nice.

Thanks tons for the recipe, Kinneydu!!!    I'm definitely going to try this for breakfast!

Dizzy
Dizzy
Hike Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Dizzy on Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:34 pm

@Karvd wrote: “Not real food.” Flynn leaned in the pantry doorway, looking until Paul reached past him with an exasperated sigh and put a tin of large, rough edged chocolate cookies in his hand.

The kind of cookies Finn would approve:
Oatmeal Cookies

http://www.joyofbaking.com/OatmealCookies.html

I love the quote as well as the recipe, Karvd.   I so get Flynn here when he says not real food!!  Paul just reaches and gets the cookies.  That always makes me laugh!!

Dizzy
Dizzy
Hike Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Dizzy on Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:03 pm

@alunmo wrote:
The 'must have' for every german picnic:

Nudelsalat

Andy, we are always looking for new "side dishes" for family events.   This is one we're going to make for the next get together!   Thank you!

Dizzy
Dizzy
Hike Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:59 pm

My current favorite picnic food is watermelon salad. Watermelon season is just getting started in the southern United States, and I am a watermelon addict. "Hi, my name is Gretchen, and I have a 3 watermelon per week habit."  

Ingredients:

1 large ripe watermelon
3 limes juiced and zested (just zest one)
10 or so nice large fresh spearmint leaves
coarse sea salt
(Optional: 1-2 shots of good Tequila)

Instructions:
*Cube the melon or use a medium sized melon baller.
*Microwave the limes for 30 seconds. Zest one lime and then slice all three in half. (Pro tip: If you are using a hand held juicer, put the lime halves in upside down.  It will get every last drop of juice from your limes as it turns them nearly inside out.) Add juice and zest to watermelon cubes and stir lightly.
*Chiffonade mint leaves and add to melon.
*Add any booze now.
*Refrigerate for several hours or overnight. 
*Add coarse salt to taste just before serving. 

Back to top Go down

Post by KateM on Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:27 pm

*waves at Gretchen*
I have the same watermelon addiction during summer Smile

Alternative watermelon and alcohol recipe...

Take one watermelon
'Drill' a hole in the skin and remove a small plug of fruit
Inset funnel in hole
Slowly pour in vodka u till no more will go in
Remove funnel and replace plug
Put in the freezer for least 12 hours
Remove and cut into slices
Serve to adults only!!
KateM
Bunkhouse & Hot Springs Guest

Back to top Go down

Post by Dizzy on Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:00 pm

If KateM and Gretchen are bringing alcohol, I'm placing my bedroll next to them.  Booze soaked watermelon would surely get me through a night out in the wilds.

Dizzy
Dizzy
Hike Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochnariel on Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:47 pm

Just picnicked last night with rolls, orzo salad, and blueberry cheesecake macarons for dessert. I'm not home right now, but I'll post the recipes later if anyone is interested. The bread is the easiest dough ever, considering its a no-knead dough.

Rochnariel
Foal

Back to top Go down

Post by Dizzy on Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:01 pm

@Rochnariel wrote:Just picnicked last night with rolls, orzo salad, and blueberry cheesecake macarons for dessert. I'm not home right now, but I'll post the recipes later if anyone is interested. The bread is the easiest dough ever, considering its a no-knead dough.

Yes, please!! Sounds perfect for a late night picnic!  camp fire

Dizzy
Dizzy
Hike Leader

Back to top Go down

Tuna Kebabs with Ginger-Chili Marinade

Post by Tarabeth on Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:56 pm

“Tuna, monk fish and sea bass, Hot sauce in the box – dill sauce there Ri, the dark skewers are the spicy ones. The mackerel will be done in a minute.” Paul handed the bottle of hot sauce across to Jake. Tom, gingerly lipping very hot fish from the wooden skewer paused as the flavour hit him, a mixture of delicate lime, chilli and ginger, light enough not to have smothered the flavour of the fish itself."              

- Mary Ellen Carter Chapter 1 

INGREDIENTS

3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
2 tablespoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
2 tablespoons peanut oil
2 tablespoons Asian sesame oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 serrano chile, seeded, minced
Freshly ground white pepper
1 1/2 pounds 1 1/4 -inch-thick ahi tuna, cut into 1- to 1 1/4 -inch cubes
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
1 large sweet onion (such as Maui or Vidalia), cut into 1-inch squares
6 (12-inch-long) metal skewers
Additional chopped fresh cilantro

PREPARATION

Whisk first 8 ingredients in medium bowl to blend; season to taste with ground white pepper. Transfer 3 tablespoons marinade to small bowl and reserve. Add tuna to remaining marinade in medium bowl and toss to coat. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes and up to 45 minutes.

Spray grill rack with nonstick spray. Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Alternate tuna cubes, bell pepper squares, and onion squares on each of 6 metal skewers. Grill to desired doneness, turning frequently, about 4 minutes total for medium-rare. Transfer to platter. Drizzle reserved marinade over; sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
Tarabeth
Polar Bear Wrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by emma_enchanted on Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:25 pm

Paul might not approve of this recipe because it calls for a bread maker, but I think he'd approve of the end results.

GARLIC DINNER ROLLS
Recipe from http://livlifetoo.yummly.com/2012/12/garlic-dinner-rolls.html?m=1

Dough:
1 cup water
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tbs butter (we use Earth Balance Butter Substitute) **
2 Tbs sugar
3 cups All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 tsp Red Star Brand Active Dry Yeast

Garlic Butter Topping:
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 cloves garlic, crushed or pressed
2 Tbs freshly grated Parmesan Cheese

Place ingredients into your bread machine in the order directed by the maker of your machine. Select "Dough" setting, and push start.

When dough cycle is complete, remove the pan from the machine and turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough a couple of times, then, using a large knife or a bench scraper, cut the dough into equal pieces. The book recommends 24 pieces with this size batch, but I never seem to get that many. We usually end up with 15-18 nice sized rolls.

Place the dough pieces into a greased pan.

In a small bowl combine the butter and garlic. Spoon the garlic butter over the rolls, then sprinkle with the grated cheese. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled in size (about 30 minutes depending on the temperature in your house). Preheat oven to 375º.

Bake rolls until golden brown, 13-16 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for a few minutes. To serve, we flip the entire batch out onto a plate or board (plate is easier if I've used a round baking pan), and then flip again so the rolls are right side up. I place the whole thing on the table and have the guests pull off a roll. Alternatively, you can pull the rolls apart and serve in a bread basket.

emma_enchanted

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarabeth on Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:35 pm

II
"He makes cakes.” Philip said to David, raising an eyebrow. David snorted, sitting down stiffly at the table.

“Where do you come from to go making cake?”

Freeman's Field

4  tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for skillet

1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for skillet

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Coarse salt

1 large egg

1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk (I used yogurt) 

2 ripe medium plums, thinly sliced (I used a lot more than 2)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter an 8-inch ovenproof skillet (preferably cast-iron); dust with flour, tapping out excess. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Beat butter and 3/4 cup sugar with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Beat in egg. Add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk. 

Pour batter into prepared skillet, and smooth top with an offset spatula. Fan plums on top, and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool slightly.
Tarabeth
Polar Bear Wrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarabeth on Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:08 pm

Cowboy Biscuits -- these are actually between a roll and a biscuit

• 2  (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast, dissolved in

• 1  cup  warm water

• 7  cups  flour

• 1  teaspoon  salt

• 1/2 teaspoon  baking soda

• 4 teaspoons  baking powder

• 1/2 cup  sugar

• 2 cups  buttermilk (dry may be used after you add the water)

• 1/2 cup vegetable oil

DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl dissolve the yeast in the warm water.

In the same bowl mix all the rest of the ingredients.

Let the bowl of dough sit for about 1/2 hour, but you do not have to--you can bake them right away.

Roll to 3/4" thickness and cut with biscuit cutter.

Make as many as you want; the rest can be saved for another time.

Place on ungreased sheet and bake in 375 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.

LEFTOVER DOUGH--store in refrigerator up to 2 weeks in an airtight container making sure there is enough room in it as it grows.
Tarabeth
Polar Bear Wrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger52899 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:54 pm

A special thank you to everyone on this thread, especially Tarabeth and Dizzy for starting it and stocking it so well - I am falling over things I am now dying to make! I did try the funnel cake one this afternoon Smile Smile Smile Goes brilliantly with strawberries! I think the garlic rolls are next on the list Smile
Ranger52899
Womble in Charge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Orzo Salad

Post by Rochnariel on Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:54 pm

Sorry all. I meant to post these last night, but we didn't get home from my dad's birthday party til late.  Also, I don't measure when I cook, so there aren't exact amounts in this recipe (the next two will because well baking requires it); this often leads to my partner calling cooking black magic, since she doesn't get how it works.Very Happy

1 pound orzo
2cups-ish graph or cherry tomatoes halved
1 orange bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 English cucumber
1 cup or so of green onions
6 chicken tenders defrosted
Feta
Your favorite salad dressing (I usually use a sun dried tomato dressing or a balsamic vinegar dressing with this salad)

Chicken marinade
1/2 cup rose wine
2 Tbl olive oil
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Paprika
Salt 
Pepper
Thai chili pepper (optional)

1. marinate the chicken overnight in the rose wine, olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. If you like spice, feel free to add some hot pepper to your marinade. I personally prefer to add about a half teaspoon of dried Thai chili pepper.
  2. Grill the chicken and set aside to cool slightly.
  3. Cook the orzo according to the package, drain, and also set aside to cool slightly. You don't want it fully cold or it won't mix well.
  4. Slice the cucumber and peppers into bite sized pieces.
  5. Slice the green portions of the green onions into about 1/4 inch pieces.
  6. Cut the tomatoes in half.
  7. Cut the cooled chicken into bite sized pieces
  8. Add everything to a large bowl and mix in the dressing
  9. Cool and eat.

This isn't an exact science so feel free to swap ingredients. Most people I know like to add olives, but I hate them, so I don't.

Rochnariel
Foal

Back to top Go down

The Easiest Bread Ever

Post by Rochnariel on Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:14 am

I no longer buy bread thanks to learning this recipe in a cooking class. We make a batch of this every week or so and bake it off as needed. It is ridiculously easy, and so much better than the store bought crap. I agree 100% with Paul on this.

8 cups (1000 g) flour (weighed, not measured if possible)
1 Tablespoon dry active yeast
1 Tablespoon salt (just regular table salt)
3 cups warm water (it needs to be warm to activate the yeast, but too hot will actually kill it)

1. Add all of the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl. We add the flour first, then the salt and yeast on opposite sides of the bowl; fun fact, salt kills yeast, so don't pour them on top of each other. 
  2. Pour the water in.
  3. Mix with your hands or a spoon until all the ingredients are incorporated. You don't need to knead the dough, just mix, so this doesn't take too long.
  4. Move the dough to a sealable container that has been lightly oiled. We spray the bottom and edges with cooking spray.
  5. Cover lightly with the containers lid and leave to rise.  The dough should at least double in size (ours usually triples or so). The timing of this depends on how warm it is, but leaving it out for four hours or so is usually good. You can also leave it out overnight but that adds to the time needed for this recipe.
  6. Seal the container and stick in the fridge at least overnight but up to two weeks.
  7. When ready to bake, pull the container out of the fridge and lightly flour the surface you are going to be working on. 
  8. Remove as much dough as you want to bake. You don't need to bake it all off at once. The rest can be put back in the fridge until you want to use it.
  9. Deflate the dough you are baking. You do this with your fingertips making a bunch of little divets in the dough.
  10. Shape the dough. You can make loafs, rolls, baguettes.etc.
  11. Transfer to a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
  12. Cover with a towel.
  13. Let rise for 2 hours
  14. Bake at 450 degrees Fahrenhiet for 20 minutes
  15. Cool and eat

A note about the baking time and temp: this, like any baking, is going to depend on your oven and the size of bread you are baking. I usually bake at 435 for 20 minutes. It is all oven dependent and they all have quirks.

One more note: if you want a crispier crust on your bread, fill a cake pan with water and put it in your oven on a lower rack when preheating and baking the bread. This will increase the humidity in your oven and develop a better crust.  However, use an old pan or one you don't plan on reusing except for this purpose. The pan can warp if the water all evaporates.

Feel free to message me with questions.

Rochnariel
Foal

Back to top Go down

Blueberry Cheesecake Macarons

Post by Rochnariel on Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:03 am

one more recipe for today, unless I think up some other awesome picnic food. Sorry, all of the weights for this one are in ounces. My kitchen scale does ounces and grams, so I never tried to convert it.  I'll try to make this as clear as possible, but feel free to ask me questions.  Macarons have become one of my favorite things to bake since learning the technique. Once you learn how to make them, they get addictive to make and experiment with flavor wise.

4 fluid ounces aged egg whites (about the whites from 4 large eggs)
4 ounces almond flour
7 ounces powdered (confectioners) sugar
3.5 ounces granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste

Filling
2 tablespoons blueberry jam
4 ounces softened cream cheese

1. Separate the eggs and leave the egg whites out at room temperature for 24 hours.
  2. Combine almond flour and powdered sugar in a food processor. Pulse food processor for 30 - 60 seconds to remove the large pieces.
  3. Sift mixture and discard anything that doesn't sift.. This should not be more then 1/2 teaspoons of the mixture. Large bakeries do steps 2 and 3 like 9 times, but I do it once and it is fine.
  4. Add the egg whites to a stand mixture with a whisk attachment.
  5. Turn the mixture on to a medium speed until slightly frothy.
  6. With the mixture still running on medium speed, slowly stream in the granulated sugar.
  7. When all of the sugar is added, turn mixture to high speed and beat the egg whites to stiff, glossy peaks.
  8. Add the dry mixture in thirds.
  9. Add the first third to the egg whites and fold in until incorporated.
  10. Repeat step 9 with the second third of the mixture.
  11. Add the third third and the vanilla bean paste. Fold in until the mixture resembles molten lava. When you fold the mixture onto itself and leave it for a minute or so, it should incorporate so you can't tell what you folded.
  12. Put mixture in a piping bag with 1/2 inch tip.
  13. Pipe batter onto parchment paper lined or silicone baking sheet lined cookie sheets. You can pipe any size cookies that you wish, just try to keep them all the same size. You can use a macaron baking sheet or trace circles onto the parchment paper to help keep them even.
  14. Once the batter is all piped, pick up each cookie sheet and hit it firmly and evenly on the table or counter three times to remove any air bubbles.
  15. Leave to rest for 45 minutes or so. This is dependent on how humid it is that day. When you first pipe the cookies, the tops will be shiny and sticky to touch. Once the cookies have rested they should no longer be shiny and will not be sticky to the touch. This forms a skin on the top so that the macarons distinctive feet develop when baked.
  16. Bake at 350 for about 14 minutes rotating the cookie sheets halfway through the cooking time. This is also unfortunately oven dependent and not exact. However, the cookies are done when you can no longer wiggle the the tops, so reach carefully into the oven and try to move the tops of the cookies to check that they are done.
  17. When done, remove the parchment paper or silicone mats to cooling racks.
  18. Once the cookies are fully cooled, remove from mats and match cookies of similar sizes. If the cookies stick, use an offset spatula to help.
  19. To make the filling, beat cream cheese and jam together until fully combined, and add to piping bag with 1/4 inch tip.
  20. Pipe the cheesecake filling on the flat of one of each cookie pair and sandwich them.
  21. Store in airtight container in fridge.

If you are having trouble getting the egg whites to whip, you can use 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar to stabilize.

Also, you can substitute other jam flavors to make different cheesecake flavors.

If you want to add food coloring, use a food coloring gel, not liquid, and add it with the third third of the dry mixture.

Rochnariel
Foal

Back to top Go down

Post by duskpeterson on Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:21 pm

My apprentice Jo/e and I had our traditional Fourth of July feast: hot dogs, potato chips, Jo/e's homemade potato salad, and my homemade chocolate pudding. Here's our recipes.

JO/E'S EGG-FREE POTATO SALAD

Recipe handed down from his mother.

Jo/e doesn't cook to exact directions, so these are all "as much as will fit in the pot" and "however much tastes right to you."

Red potatoes, boiled and then chopped to bite-sized pieces.

Kosher dill pickle pieces, chopped to the same size as the potato pieces.

Green onions, "about four," chopped.

Celery, chopped.

Red wine vinegar.

Vegan mayonnaise, enough to hold it all together.

DUSK'S DAIRY-FREE CHOCOLATE PUDDING

Adapted from a recipe by Kathleen Amos-Robel at allrecipes.com.

3/4 cups cornstarch
1 cup sugar
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
8 cups vanilla soymilk

Preferably with a whisk, stir dry ingredients in saucepan or pot that's at least 3 quarts in size. Stir in soymilk gradually. Cook over medium heat, stirring periodically, until the pudding is as thick as you prefer. Remove from heat and pour into small containers or a large serving bowl. Can be eaten warm, or refrigerate until cool. Sprinkle with broken nuts if you like. Licking the pan (when the pan is cool enough to do so) is the best part.

Last edited by duskpeterson on Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a couple of missing words.)

duskpeterson
Coyote

http://duskpeterson.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum