Questions and Answers thread

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Questions and Answers thread

Post by Ranger52899 on Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:17 pm

So go on, what did you really want to know about FCR or the stories? 

Put the questions here and Rolf and I will answer all we can! (Without giving away spoilers, natch.)  Twisted Evil
Ranger52899
Womble in Charge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Re: Questions and Answers thread

Post by Mackenzietwin on Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:19 pm

Ummm, Can Tom and Jake come to my house to play?
Mackenzietwin
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Stocking on Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:54 pm

Sooooo--I have many questions that fall into 2 bins--details and story questions.  I figured I would start with the details. A lot of these are the sort of little things that keep me up at night but likely are not so important to other people so just tell me to STOP if I am too far down in the weeds but I do want to ask:

1.  Did Dale go to Oxford or Cambridge?
2.  How many degrees does Dale have and what are they in?  (I know it is more than one and that the first degree was, I believe, in Mathematics.)
3.  How old was Phillip when he died?  
4.  How many books has Paul published?  
5. Are all Paul's books mysteries?
6. How many degrees does Tom have?  ( I know it is a lot.....)

Thanks for any you can/will answer!

Last edited by Blue stocking on Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : skipped a word)
Blue Stocking
Three Trader's Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Trisha Louise on Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:54 pm

Do you two do the voices when running through scenes as you write? Who has the better NZ accent?
Trisha Louise
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mackenzietwin on Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:57 pm

My real question is more about writing process. (Although I will take an answer to my Tom and Jake question. Or you can just ship them to me!)

How do you keep these stories straight in your head? Do you have a master plan on where the stories are going? Keep notebooks or lists?

For example, while writing FCR did you know Silver Bullet was going to come one day? Did you know who all lived and loved on the ranch? Or was there a "vague" idea of what Philip and David established on the Ranch and the specifics of the people came later in the process.
Mackenzietwin
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Trisha Louise on Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:09 pm

Do you imagine Dale will ever take on a client?
Trisha Louise
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by curious1_53 on Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:14 pm

Since Dale knows sign language, maybe he'd take one on if the client were hearing impaired. That woudl be interesting.

curious1_53
Polar Bear Wrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeDee on Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:15 pm

Will we see Evan in any of the stories? What about Trent, will we see him in any of the current stories?

Dee
DeeDee
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dells on Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:18 pm

Current random questions that I've got are:

1. How does the writing process work? I'm always so amazed that most of the time I can't figure out who wrote which bit, because it all flows together so well. I've co-authored for years with my best friend and we just write differently; I'll structure a sentence one way and my best friend another, which is fine, we're all human--but you two always seem to be on the same page and on point. I find it awesome, and just wonder how did you guys perfect that? 

2. How did you come up with characterizations of the main 5? Based off anything/one in particular, or did those characters just start out as a random thought and develop over time?

3. Did Philip ever spank Jake? 

4. Do either of you have a character that is easier for you to write? If so, which FCR characters? Do you find yourself writing more of that particular character compared to the other author?

5. What's a ranch New Years like? (Does anyone turn into a pumpkin after 9? o_o XD)

All I've got at this moment. Appreciate any and all answers! Very Happy
Dells
Stallion

Back to top Go down

Post by mc on Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:23 pm

How is it to write characters that you know aren't alive in the "present time" of the Ranch? I'd exclude David from this, because he actually IS in the present time of the Ranch! I'm thinking about Roger, Charlie...

And this is personal so ignore it, as you will, but do your loved ones know about the magnificent world you've created here for us, and your immense talent (and adoring audience?) The Ranch is not something anyone I know would necessarily understand, which made me wonder about it on your ends.

Thank you for this thread, this weekend!

mc
Honorary Ranch Family Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:26 pm

I'm very interested in the writing process as well.  When I read the books/stories, I only 'hear' one voice.  I never get the sense that there are two different styles - which amazes me.

Interesting question by Dells about whether Philip ever spanked Jake.  I can't imagine Jas or Paul getting spanked - but then I couldn't imagine FLYNN getting spanked either.

As an aside, I thought that scene between Philip and Flynn was beautifully done - especially the end, when Philip puts his hand on Flynn's neck.  What a lovely first step for Flynn in learning how to accept another man's touch.
jkfan

Back to top Go down

Post by gmilway on Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:58 pm

Do we get to hear how Roger or Darcy came to the ranch?  And really any of the ones we haven't heard.

gmilway

Back to top Go down

Post by Dells on Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:06 pm

Got another bc I was rereading SBE when admittedly I really ought to be sleeping (oops)

Just read the bit where Tom refuses to communicate and it's too cold to be spanked so he must face the cream....
And his inner dialogue at Jake: "Oh good God who have you been talking to? Whoever it is I’m going to kill them…"

Curious as to who DID Jake talk to to get that idea? I don't expect they've got a really big--in the words of Tom (I love Tom)--"kinked gay" community outside the ranch and so far no one at the ranch has ever used that method.
Dells
Stallion

Back to top Go down

Post by robyn smith on Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:35 pm

Do Dale's brothers / sisters ever want to get in contact with him? They must be adults by now -  Do they ever break out of just accepting their mother's version of reality? I think it would be awesome for Dale to have a sympathetic sibling......

robyn smith
Coyote

Back to top Go down

Post by JL on Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:07 pm

When ANZ was informed of the aspects of the Program Dale was being sent to, did any of them question or raise their eyes at the corporal discipline aspect of things?  Flynn did say that the corporation was made fully aware of the aspects of the program.
JL-
JL

Back to top Go down

Post by Fallschancefan on Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:19 pm

Mini question please: How come Jasper uses a fishing rod instead of his hands now? Is it just because they usually fish in deeper water?

Fallschancefan
Foal

Back to top Go down

Post by loyalpainter88 on Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:29 pm

Wow ! Its amazing just reading the questions ..... I cant wait for the answers !!!!
Mm is there a limit to asking the number of questions ??? LOL!!! My questions are in writing as well .... Its all in the name ...i want to know how you came with the names of the characters and how you matched their personality ...coz... I think each of them are named to fit their character .
Then plots of each story .... Each taking you to a new level of self discovery .... How do you do it?? And then the sub stories in each story like the ghost stories in pumpkin patch . The fisher king story in SBR .... How you fit it in so perfectly??? Its amazing ...its a well balanced tasty recipe!
And then some useless trivia coz that's fun am waiting see what you will say...what are the character s favourites book/food/ music/colour/ their birth dates ...so will know their sun signs ?? I can guess some ... But it would be cool to get official word .... (Expert opinion! ) then maybe am encroaching on the on goin plot .... But I think in SBR when dale and jasper discuss about colour and their significance to Caleb ..he mentions green being associated with a healer ... And in starting of MEC we see dale picking a general book on nursing ...is he goin to train to be a healer .... ??? Body mind soul???? Hmmm these are a few questions at present ......need to think more ...

Thank you guys !!

loyalpainter88
Foal

Back to top Go down

Post by gmilway on Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:57 pm

I was also wondering if we've seen the last of Phoenix the Loud One

gmilway

Back to top Go down

Post by Fallschancefan on Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:32 pm

And what Flynn thinks about several of the others experiencing the train going past after Dale solved the puzzle - did he sense anything?

Fallschancefan
Foal

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:02 am

This is so basic, I'm almost ashamed to ask it.  I thought I knew what a brat was, and thought that Flynn was a brat when he first came to the ranch.  However, in the chat with R&R yesterday, I discovered I was dead wrong - Flynn was NEVER a brat.  I've listed below my reasons for thinking this - so HELP please.  What did I miss??

In Paget Creek - Luath to Flynn.  "Yeah, you don't scare me, brat."

And Luath continues to refer to Flynn as a brat - although now it's a term of affection.

And when Flynn asks for Philip's help to beat "The temper.  The bad habits." Philip asks what Flynn needs:

It had been in his mind all night.  If he dared to ask this man to include him as one of his own -

And he says that if Gerry or Roger did what he had, Philip would spank them.  Philip replies that he WOULD spank them, not because he's entitled to do it, but because "... we choose to live together by an agreed code.  They prefer boundaries in their life and to entrust the guarding of them to me ... "

It seemed to me that Flynn needed those boundaries, at this time of his life, and was asking for Philip to enforce those boundaries.  SO, that's why I thought Flynn fit the definition.
jkfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Dangerfield on Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:08 am

Which author is the bigger Brat? (what?) Cool
Chris Dangerfield
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:11 am

@Chris Dangerfield wrote:Which author is the bigger Brat? (what?) Cool
Not going there, Chris.
jkfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger52899 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:38 pm

@Blue stocking wrote:Sooooo--I have many questions that fall into 2 bins--details and story questions.  I figured I would start with the details. A lot of these are the sort of little things that keep me up at night but likely are not so important to other people so just tell me to STOP if I am too far down in the weeds but I do want to ask:

1.  Did Dale go to Oxford or Cambridge?
2.  How many degrees does Dale have and what are they in?  (I know it is more than one and that the first degree was, I believe, in Mathematics.)
3.  How old was Phillip when he died?  
4.  How many books has Paul published?  
5. Are all Paul's books mysteries?
6. How many degrees does Tom have?  ( I know it is a lot.....)

Thanks for any you can/will answer!

Ok Smile It looks like you're stuck with just me for the moment but let me see if I can help here!

1. Oxford.
2. He has several, Mathematics is only one, he has post grad qualifications too and they would be in fields such as economics and political science, it was very much the skill set that ANZ wanted him to have and put in front of him.
3. In his very early 80s.
4. We think about 4.
5. There's a mystery component, he likes complex plots!
6. Not sure, probably about 6.
Ranger52899
Womble in Charge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger52899 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:40 pm

@Trisha Louise wrote:Do you two do the voices when running through scenes as you write? Who has the better NZ accent?

LOL

We won't discuss which of us has the satnav in the NZ accent to keep it in our ears Wink 

Yes, each character has a voice, some more than others. Gerry is very clear, so is Philip.
Ranger52899
Womble in Charge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger52899 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:42 pm

@Mackenzietwin wrote:My real question is more about writing process. (Although I will take an answer to my Tom and Jake question. Or you can just ship them to me!)

How do you keep these stories straight in your head? Do you have a master plan on where the stories are going? Keep notebooks or lists?

For example, while writing FCR did you know Silver Bullet was going to come one day? Did you know who all lived and loved on the ranch? Or was there a "vague" idea of what Philip and David established on the Ranch and the specifics of the people came later in the process.

We have no idea how we keep it straight. Rolf has an amazing memory for detail, he holds on to a lot but we like oral history. We tell each other stories. We probably don't have anything like the notes and lists we should do.

We did know Silver Bullet was out there - particularly the Everest part, we were setting that up from Three Traders onwards - like we know several books yet to come that are built on what is happening 'now' in the time line. The big books are really one long story. The side stories and shorts are ones that can be more 'well what happened there' and spontaneous (which is fun!)
Ranger52899
Womble in Charge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger52899 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:43 pm

@Trisha Louise wrote:Do you imagine Dale will ever take on a client?
Yes one day. In the current timeline this is not the time, he has too much work to do on himself first.
Ranger52899
Womble in Charge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger52899 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:45 pm

@curious1_53 wrote:Since Dale knows sign language, maybe he'd take one on if the client were hearing impaired. That woudl be interesting.

He would be the obvious one of them to take that client, wouldn't he? Although very sadly the chances of someone with that severe a communication disability getting to that level of business to which their client comes from are probably quite low in 2008 where they currently are?
Ranger52899
Womble in Charge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger52899 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:47 pm

@DeeDee wrote:Will we see Evan in any of the stories?  What about Trent, will we see him in any of the current stories?

Dee

Evan will probably turn up eventually, there are plenty of family members not met yet although they've been 'around' at Christmas and in Three Traders at the big family gatherings. The ones we haven't met, most of them were at the ranch in the 50s and 60s. We think they're probably quite a tight knit group like the 1940s gang is and the 1970s-1980s gang are (and the 1990s-2000s!)

Trent has his own story. We'll get to it eventually Smile
Ranger52899
Womble in Charge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger52899 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:58 pm

@Dells wrote:Current random questions that I've got are:

1. How does the writing process work? I'm always so amazed that most of the time I can't figure out who wrote which bit, because it all flows together so well. I've co-authored for years with my best friend and we just write differently; I'll structure a sentence one way and my best friend another, which is fine, we're all human--but you two always seem to be on the same page and on point. I find it awesome, and just wonder how did you guys perfect that? 

2. How did you come up with characterizations of the main 5? Based off anything/one in particular, or did those characters just start out as a random thought and develop over time?

3. Did Philip ever spank Jake? 

4. Do either of you have a character that is easier for you to write? If so, which FCR characters? Do you find yourself writing more of that particular character compared to the other author?

5. What's a ranch New Years like? (Does anyone turn into a pumpkin after 9? o_o XD)

All I've got at this moment. Appreciate any and all answers! Very Happy

Hi Dells, its lovely you can't tell us apart! 1. We've been at this a long time. We take it in turns to edit which I think helps smooth the whole, I have occasionally written a bit of ranch for Rolf as a gift and it is HARD to get that 'voice' alone, it really is a two way thing.

2. We started with Dale and Flynn who came from another story that never saw the light of day. We knew who they were but we wanted that group marriage and we did sit down and plan it. Paul was a character type I am very fond of, Riley and Jasper were both Rolf's creations and they seemed to fit together so well.

3. Not since Jake was about ten Wink   No, it was nothing like the relationship Flynn has with Philip for example, Jake's a Top from the heart outward. The messing about is all very surface and a lot of it is put on.

4. We have characters that are generally easier - Gerry for example is bliss to write because he chatters and is so active and involved in everything that you always have somewhere to go, its very easy writing. Dale and Flynn don't say that much out loud, they are much more internal and move a lot more discreetly so writing the same scene from their viewpoint is much harder. There are also characters we're particularly fond of, for example I'm very fond of James, Paul, Gerry, Rolf loves Philip and Riley and he writes them the most, he has their voices down best and knows them best. I probably write a higher amount of Dale, but there is only so long one of us can handle a character without starting to lose the 'balance'. Rolf has the 'brat' balance much better pinned down and sometimes we have to hand characters back and forth to get a scene to work out.

5. They love New Years, and no, they're not so worried about bedtime that night! Smile (Although for some of the brats that means an early bed time the next night, it's not the same for every couple and not every brat needs sleep the way others do)
Ranger52899
Womble in Charge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger52899 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:02 pm

@mc wrote:How is it to write characters that you know aren't alive in the "present time" of the Ranch? I'd exclude David from this, because he actually IS in the present time of the Ranch! I'm thinking about Roger, Charlie...

And this is personal so ignore it, as you will, but do your loved ones know about the magnificent world you've created here for us, and your immense talent (and adoring audience?) The Ranch is not something anyone I know would necessarily understand, which made me wonder about it on your ends.

Thank you for this thread, this weekend!

MC - its like a jigsaw puzzle or tapestry, all of the times matter all of the time, that's what we love about it. Time doesn't have that much meaning, what went before is as much a part of now as what will be in the future, so if it makes sense, to us all the characters are alive. We try to keep a very light touch about the losses in the family, Roger is still a part of them, Charlie is, Philip and David very obviously are, but those losses are part of life and part of the story.
Ranger52899
Womble in Charge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger52899 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:03 pm

@gmilway wrote:Do we get to hear how Roger or Darcy came to the ranch?  And really any of the ones we haven't heard.

Maybe one day Smile They're not in a currently planned plot but it's bound to come up!
Ranger52899
Womble in Charge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger52899 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:05 pm

@Dells wrote:Got another bc I was rereading SBE when admittedly I really ought to be sleeping (oops)

Just read the bit where Tom refuses to communicate and it's too cold to be spanked so he must face the cream....
And his inner dialogue at Jake: "Oh good God who have you been talking to? Whoever it is I’m going to kill them…"

Curious as to who DID Jake talk to to get that idea? I don't expect they've got a really big--in the words of Tom (I love Tom)--"kinked gay" community outside the ranch and so far no one at the ranch has ever used that method.

LOL

Probably the same person who gave Flynn a lexan paddle Wink 

The family's pretty large and Jake's been around, it's something he probably heard of somewhere at some point and filed it quietly away. It's not that unknown as a 'silent spanking' possibility for dd couples.
Ranger52899
Womble in Charge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger52899 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:06 pm

@robyn smith wrote:Do Dale's brothers / sisters ever want to get in contact with him? They must be adults by now -  Do they ever break out of just accepting their mother's version of reality? I think it would be awesome for Dale to have a sympathetic sibling......

Ah now for most of THIS one you need to keep reading Mary Ellen Carter, Robyn! You're going to enjoy this. Wink
Ranger52899
Womble in Charge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger52899 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:08 pm

@JL wrote:When ANZ was informed of the aspects of the Program Dale was being sent to, did any of them question or raise their eyes at the corporal discipline aspect of things?  Flynn did say that the corporation was made fully aware of the aspects of the program.
JL-

Yes they knew, it's up front information.

However this is fiction and not real world where that would be more of an issue. Wink
Ranger52899
Womble in Charge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger52899 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:10 pm

@Fallschancefan wrote:Mini question please: How come Jasper uses a fishing rod instead of his hands now? Is it just because they usually fish in deeper water?

Hi Smile 

He can do both. But he likes fishing, properly, he is a good fly fisherman. Using his hands is a skill he has but to him it isn't the peaceful hobby that fishing is. Plus at the time Flynn sees Jas use his hands, it's just the quickest, easiest way Jas has for them to eat.
Ranger52899
Womble in Charge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger52899 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:22 pm

@loyalpainter88 wrote:Wow ! Its amazing just reading the questions ..... I cant wait for the answers !!!!
Mm is there a limit to asking the number of questions ??? LOL!!! My questions are in writing as well .... Its all in the name ...i want to know how you came with the names of the characters and how you matched their personality ...coz... I think each of them are named to fit their character .
Then plots of each story .... Each taking you to a new level of self discovery .... How do you do it?? And then the sub stories in each story like the ghost stories in pumpkin patch . The fisher king story in SBR .... How you fit it in so perfectly??? Its amazing ...its a well balanced tasty recipe!
And then some useless trivia coz that's fun am waiting see what you will say...what are the character s favourites book/food/ music/colour/ their birth dates ...so will know their sun signs ?? I can guess some ... But it would be cool to get official word .... (Expert opinion! ) then maybe am encroaching on the on goin plot .... But I think in SBR when dale and jasper discuss about colour and their significance to Caleb ..he mentions green being associated with a healer ... And in starting of MEC we see dale picking a general book on nursing ...is he goin to train to be a healer .... ??? Body mind soul???? Hmmm these are a few questions at present ......need to think more ...

Thank you guys !!

LOL   What a Face

Wow!

Ok, let me see what I can do with some of that... when we talk and plan the names kind of fit the person we have in mind. The original five came named, we knew the name and the person from the start. Philip and David just came out of mid air and were perfect for the people we were thinking of, but often we're plotting and have pulled names out of thin air. The plots, we love telling each other stories, and often we find coincidence plays a huge part. We know we're going for example to talk about the grail so we start reading and researching and the details just seem to gel so well with the story we want to tell. Those ideas feed in.

Dale's 'colour' is green and yes that's the sign of a healer, you'll have to read more Mary Ellen Carter to find out more, but as Tom said it's a kind of Shaman role.

Birthdays and starsigns... I'm sure somewhere at some time years ago we talked about this! I see Riley as probably Gemini, lively and social and two sides to him, the very playful and the very sensitive and able horseman; Paul is probably a water sign, Flynn is so Aries he's almost incapacitated, Jasper's probably somewhere around Scorpio or Libra, Dale is probably a Virgo or Leo, (need to check with Dee on this, I know she figured out Dale's approximate birthday and I don't think it's what I'm thinking right now?)

Favourite books - Paul, very eclectic, he reads absolutely everything and has read most well known books and classics. Jasper also very eclectic, Flynn likes fact rather than fiction but reads very widely on a lot of subjects, biography, history, etc. Riley likes mostly the Tom Clancy type of thing but will take a quick break on lighter fic too. Dale is very new to the idea of reading for pleasure and Paul is working on it.
Ranger52899
Womble in Charge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger52899 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:23 pm

@gmilway wrote:I was also wondering if we've seen the last of Phoenix the Loud One

Short answer: yes for the moment. Long term answer.... the jury is out on that one, we could see it go either way!
Ranger52899
Womble in Charge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger52899 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:25 pm

@Fallschancefan wrote:And what Flynn thinks about several of the others experiencing the train going past after Dale solved the puzzle - did he sense anything?

They all felt the train go past.

Flynn works on always having a scientific/ordinary answer, in part because that's his first way of thinking and part because it keeps Dale calm. There's always a reasonable explanation for almost all things - until you have two partners who are very sensitive, and as Jasper says, the two of them sensitive together probably pull up more than either of them would see or feel alone. Flynn may need to get more open minded about these experiences!
Ranger52899
Womble in Charge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger52899 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:32 pm

@jkfan wrote:This is so basic, I'm almost ashamed to ask it.  I thought I knew what a brat was, and thought that Flynn was a brat when he first came to the ranch.  However, in the chat with R&R yesterday, I discovered I was dead wrong - Flynn was NEVER a brat.  I've listed below my reasons for thinking this - so HELP please.  What did I miss??

And Luath continues to refer to Flynn as a brat - although now it's a term of affection.

And when Flynn asks for Philip's help to beat "The temper.  The bad habits." Philip asks what Flynn needs:

It had been in his mind all night.  If he dared to ask this man to include him as one of his own -

And he says that if Gerry or Roger did what he had, Philip would spank them.  Philip replies that he WOULD spank them, not because he's entitled to do it, but because "... we choose to live together by an agreed code.  They prefer boundaries in their life and to entrust the guarding of them to me ... "

It seemed to me that Flynn needed those boundaries, at this time of his life, and was asking for Philip to enforce those boundaries.  SO, that's why I thought Flynn fit the definition.

Hi Cheryl

Not a silly question at all. It's a huge question and one that probably could take up a thread in itself, you may get more out of starting one just on that subject in the family room after that Paget Creek scene?

The short answer - Luath teases Flynn about being a brat (or rather behaving like a brat) but it's only teasing. Flynn needed help, structure, and asked for Philip's help with discipline to manage it, however that want for discipline for a specific matter isn't the same as Riley or Gerry or Dale's desire to live in a power exchange discipline relationship with someone in charge who likes to make decisions, who is comfortable setting the rules and boundaries for them, to live 24/7 within that structure, accountability. Does that make any sense?
Ranger52899
Womble in Charge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger52899 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:32 pm

@Chris Dangerfield wrote:Which author is the bigger Brat? (what?) Cool

Ranger52899
Womble in Charge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:39 pm

@Ranger52899 wrote:
@Fallschancefan wrote:And what Flynn thinks about several of the others experiencing the train going past after Dale solved the puzzle - did he sense anything?

They all felt the train go past.

Flynn works on always having a scientific/ordinary answer, in part because that's his first way of thinking and part because it keeps Dale calm.  
I never thought of that, Ranger.  That it helps keep Dale calm if he thinks there's a rational explanation for what he's experiencing.  I like that.
jkfan

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:42 pm

@Ranger52899 wrote:
@jkfan wrote:This is so basic, I'm almost ashamed to ask it.  I thought I knew what a brat was, and thought that Flynn was a brat when he first came to the ranch.  However, in the chat with R&R yesterday, I discovered I was dead wrong - Flynn was NEVER a brat.  I've listed below my reasons for thinking this - so HELP please.  What did I miss??

Hi Cheryl

Not a silly question at all. It's a huge question and one that probably could take up a thread in itself, you may get more out of starting one just on that subject in the family room after that Paget Creek scene?

The short answer - Luath teases Flynn about being a brat (or rather behaving like a brat) but it's only teasing. Flynn needed help, structure, and asked for Philip's help with discipline to manage it, however that want for discipline for a specific matter isn't the same as Riley or Gerry or Dale's desire to live in a power exchange discipline relationship with someone in charge who likes to make decisions, who is comfortable setting the rules and boundaries for them, to live 24/7 within that structure, accountability. Does that make any sense?
Yes, Ranger, thank you.  And I AM going to start a thread on that topic.  I've been meaning to do so for some time.  Looks like that time has arrived.  Next week for sure!!
jkfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Stocking on Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:47 pm

Thank you so much Ranger!  I will sleep much better Wink.

Last edited by Blue stocking on Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blue Stocking
Three Trader's Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Samantha_kathy on Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:54 pm

How long before Dale came to the ranch for the first time did Philip die? I'm pretty sure it can be found in the books - at least a reference to it when some of the characters are talking about Philip and David's bedroom still being the same  - but whenever I try to find it, I fail.

Samantha_kathy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger52899 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:56 pm

Hi Samantha Smile  Information is scattered all through the books, it's not easy to find!

Philip died in the summer of the year 2000, and Dale comes to the ranch in March 2007. So it's about six years.
Ranger52899
Womble in Charge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Samantha_kathy on Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:01 pm

Longer than I thought, then. I figured it was about a year or two. Wink

Last edited by Samantha_kathy on Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Samantha_kathy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger52899 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:05 pm

Dee has fixed it! We made a mistake in Madison's Hall, Dale's birthday is the 28th July and NOT August - he bought Three Traders at the beginning of August and was definitely in Wyoming for good by then. So he is a Leo. And I need to go fix Madison's Hall. Wink
Ranger52899
Womble in Charge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by loyalpainter88 on Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:23 am

Ooooh !!!! Wow wishes do come true !!! Thanks a lot ranger ! You guys are the best!
I have more questions !!! Cant help it!!!
I think in SBR Riley tells mason that they all name the foals they are born ... Did dale ever name a horse ? Who named bandit??? I know riley named moo .... Did jasper or Flynn or Paul name any special horse??? I think Paul named belle ... But any other horse apart from her ?? Mmm it's just that I was watching the secretariat....and this just popped in my mind and I had to ask !!!

loyalpainter88
Foal

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:14 pm

And I have one more.  We've had a topic running before about making the FCR movie, and who we see as playing each character.   Doesn't have to be an actor, but who would you pick to play the main characters?
jkfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Dangerfield on Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:51 pm

Oh my old friend, Mr. Red Phone, how I've missed you!  Very Happy
Chris Dangerfield
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content