Paul's books

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Paul's books

Post by hellspark72 on Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:46 pm

Hi all!

Every time I read about Paul being a succesful author I wonder: what would Paul's books be like? 

So question for you all: Which book you've read made you think that this would be something Paul could have written?

Wishing you all a great weekend, at the Hot Springs (this rain on the other side of my windows is the illusion!) or wherever you may be.

Patricia
hellspark72
Eagle

Back to top Go down

Re: Paul's books

Post by sassyshadowchance6 on Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:41 am

This is a really great question! I've always wondered what Paul's books would be like. I always guessed adventure because of the conversation between him and Dale in one of the books, but I'm not really sure. I would think that his characters would be very smart - for some reason Phileas Fogg from Around the World is coming to mind. A no nonsense character, but maybe that's just me putting a bit of Paul into his books. What do you think?
sassyshadowchance6
Coyote

Back to top Go down

Post by hellspark72 on Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:33 am

From that conversation you mention I also guessed that they were adventure/mystery novels. That conversation actually came as a bit of a surprise to me because before I read it I didn't expect Paul to write action-adventure. But maybe I haven't yet read any examples in that genre that I could imagine to be Paul's. So I was hoping that other FCR fans have. Not necessarily action-adventure or mystery but any genre.

And I think it likely that Paul puts a lot of himself and the men he loves in his books. 

I imagine Paul's main characters to be men and women he would admire. That probably means that they are respectful, honest, caring and loyal. Maybe not at first glance, but deep down inside... Smile

I wonder if his stories would contain an element of discipline (in the FCR sense) and if that would be acceptable to mainstream publishers. ('m afraid not)

If Paul wrote science fiction, would he write characters like Janet Kagan's? Men and women who are willing to keep an open mind when dealing with people who are not the same as they are?
hellspark72
Eagle

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeDee on Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:31 pm

I sort of think that he writes mystery type novels - sort of on the order of The Da Vinci Code.

Dee
DeeDee
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Trisha Louise on Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:33 pm

Wonder if their new bookseller friend realises who was in her shop and if she has any copies of his work on the shelves?
Trisha Louise
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:35 pm

I imagine Paul writing something along the lines of Tinnean's Spook vs. Spy series.  They are well written with just the right balance of action/mystery and mm romance.  I could also imagine him writing Abigail Roux and Madeline Urban's Cut and Run series.

Back to top Go down

Post by MizbehavinOne on Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:39 pm

I figuredmore Thriller type, like Tom Clancy.

MizbehavinOne
Foal

http://www.athiathing.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:00 pm

@MizbehavinOne wrote:I figuredmore Thriller type, like Tom Clancy.
I tend to agree.  I'm remembering a conversation he and Dale had where he was trying to figure out how to get
someone out of Egypt I think?  And Dale helped him out.  I'll find the exact conversation later and post here.
jkfan
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by JL on Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:05 pm

For me, I've always imagined that Paul wrote in a variety of ways.  I see him delving into action/adventure with some mild romance involved, or mystery books that aren't predictable, or strong emotional books that draw the reader in while teaching life-lessons in the pages, and also books with a lot of laughter as well as deep characters.  I often think of Dale reading Paul's books and commenting about being able to hear Paul's voice in the pages, so I imagine that a lot of Paul's humor, domesticity, intelligence, and understanding come through the words.
JL-
JL
Honorary Ranch Family Member

https://storiesbyjl.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochnariel on Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:44 pm

I always pictures mysteries. Mainly because I know mystery authors and their conversations are great times that I think Dale would have fun with when talking to Paul about his books.

Rochnariel
Foal

Back to top Go down

Post by hellspark72 on Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:52 pm

@JL wrote:For me, I've always imagined that Paul wrote in a variety of ways.  I see him delving into action/adventure with some mild romance involved, or mystery books that aren't predictable, or strong emotional books that draw the reader in while teaching life-lessons in the pages, and also books with a lot of laughter as well as deep characters.  I often think of Dale reading Paul's books and commenting about being able to hear Paul's voice in the pages, so I imagine that a lot of Paul's humor, domesticity, intelligence, and understanding come through the words.
JL-

You've really thought about this, JL. I like what you've come up with.
hellspark72
Eagle

Back to top Go down

Post by hellspark72 on Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:56 pm

hannahblake1972 wrote:I imagine Paul writing something along the lines of Tinnean's Spook vs. Spy series.  They are well written with just the right balance of action/mystery and mm romance.  I could also imagine him writing Abigail Roux and Madeline Urban's Cut and Run series.

I was thinking of Mark Vincent when I wrote that I imagine Paul's main characters to be men and women he would admire. That probably means that they are respectful, honest, caring and loyal. Maybe not at first glance, but deep down inside...

I adore that series almost as much as FCR.

For some reason I always imagined Paul's books to be mainstream, though. Now I don't know why...
hellspark72
Eagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:11 pm

Patricia,

My original thought was that Paul probably wrote mainstream books, but some of the best thrillers/mysteries I have read in the last few years have had an m/m component.  Tinnean's books are so well written and edited that I can totally imagine Paul revising and proofreading them until they are polished. Plus Mark and Quinn are great characters that I can believe Paul created.

Back to top Go down

Post by 5116sue on Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:28 pm

Paul probably writes the same way he does everything; seemingly effortlessly but with consummate skill. I’m sure the likes of Arthur Conan Doyle, Daphne Du Maurier, Wilkie Collins and Agatha Christie would, like us, feel proud to be in his company and feel they were in very safe hands. So I’m hoping one day in the future to see the name Paul Benoit on the library shelves.

Does he have a nom de plume? If not I wonder what name he’d adopt?
5116sue
Polar Bear Wrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by gmilway on Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:28 pm

After Jake's comment about Paul saying that they could publicize them if they wanted but he had baking to do, or something like that, I've wondered about that part of Paul's life. We've seen him when he's writing and researching, but never dealing with editors publishers, being recognized.

As much as I love Tinnean, and Mark and Quinn especially (I've read them at least as often as FCR), I assumed that Paul didn't include very much in the way of gay themes, and especially not discipline, partly because he would consider that personal and private, but mostly because it was so easy to find his books in mainstream bookstores.

It sucks that I think like that but I was at a bookstore this morning, and it had a table with a rainbow on it and maybe around 20 different books on it including everything from kids books to biographies. And if I search for the authors I like on their website, you can get the books, especially for kobo, but all the paper ones are "not available in stores" /rant

gmilway

Back to top Go down

Post by hellspark72 on Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:56 pm

@gmilway wrote:

As much as I love Tinnean, and Mark and Quinn especially (I've read them at least as often as FCR), I assumed that Paul didn't include very much in the way of gay themes, and especially not discipline, partly because he would consider that personal and private, but mostly because it was so easy to find his books in mainstream bookstores.

It sucks that I think like that but I was at a bookstore this morning, and it had a table with a rainbow on it and maybe around 20 different books on it including everything from kids books to biographies. And if I search for the authors I like on their website, you can get the books, especially for kobo, but all the paper ones are "not available in stores" /rant

I agree with your comments about his books probably being mainstream.

Also, I don't know where you are in the world, gmilway, but here in the Netherlands it is also impossible to find the paper books I want to read in stores. I've had decent luck with the Bookdepository with regards to paper versions of MM romances and they ship for free all over the world (not sure how long that's going to last though.)
hellspark72
Eagle

Back to top Go down

Post by hellspark72 on Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:59 pm

@5116sue wrote:Does he have a nom de plume? If not I wonder what name he’d adopt?
I have wondered about that, too, Sue. Would Paul use a pseudonym? Or would that seem dishonest to him?
hellspark72
Eagle

Back to top Go down

Post by hellspark72 on Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:02 pm

hannahblake1972 wrote: but some of the best thrillers/mysteries I have read in the last few years have had an m/m component.  
Would you have examples, Gretchen? I am always interested in recommendations.
hellspark72
Eagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Dells on Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:03 pm

@hellspark72 wrote:
@5116sue wrote:Does he have a nom de plume? If not I wonder what name he’d adopt?
I have wondered about that, too, Sue. Would Paul use a pseudonym? Or would that seem dishonest to him?
I don't think he does because in Silver Bullet Everest, there was a line where Gerry explains how the Mama Loudon social media publicity will affect the ranch: "I know exactly what the media will do if this story is popular and I won't agree to sitting around waiting for it to happen because you're innocent of just how nasty people can be. Paul's a known name. Flynn." And he goes on to mention Niall, Dale, and more. So I always got the impression that Paul never used a pseudonym.
Dells
Polar Bear Wrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by JL on Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:18 pm

At one point Dale also about the experience Paul must have of seeing his name on a novel, so I'd assume that Paul uses his real name.  See below....
JL-

Which reminded Dale of something. For a moment he sat in an agony of indecision. Then took a breath and leaned over to the bedside table to open the drawer, taking out the two very well thumbed paperbacks he had read over and over again in New York. Paul stopped half way through folding a t shirt, and his eyebrows rose at the sight of them.

"I didn't know you'd read those?"

"They were the first thing I sent Caroline out for when I got to New York." Dale admitted, watching Paul take the books and wondering how it must feel to see your own name written in print on the cover. They were second editions, both of them; the books obviously sold well.
JL

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:22 pm

@hellspark72 wrote:
@JL wrote:For me, I've always imagined that Paul wrote in a variety of ways.  I see him delving into action/adventure with some mild romance involved, or mystery books that aren't predictable, or strong emotional books that draw the reader in while teaching life-lessons in the pages, and also books with a lot of laughter as well as deep characters.  I often think of Dale reading Paul's books and commenting about being able to hear Paul's voice in the pages, so I imagine that a lot of Paul's humor, domesticity, intelligence, and understanding come through the words.
JL-

Me too, JL.
jkfan
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by JL on Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:23 pm

@jkfan wrote:
@hellspark72 wrote:
JL-

Me too, JL.
Thank you! Smile
JL

Back to top Go down

Post by gmilway on Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:21 pm

@hellspark72 wrote:
@gmilway wrote:

I agree with your comments about his books probably being mainstream.

Also, I don't know where you are in the world, gmilway, but here in the Netherlands it is also impossible to find the paper books I want to read in stores. I've had decent luck with the Bookdepository with regards to paper versions of MM romances and they ship for free all over the world (not sure how long that's going to last though.)

I'm in Canada, so the available books are fairly similar to what you'd find in the US, with more Canadian and UK added in. I'd probably be able to find Paul's books if they existed.  It was a major chain bookstore, Chapters/Indigo.  I'd probably have more luck with independent bookstores if we still have any left, it's hard to keep up.  Mostly I just get everything on Amazon, usually kindle, but a couple of paper books.

gmilway

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:23 pm

@gmilway - yes, thank heavens for Amazon and the kindle.
jkfan
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:13 am

@hellspark72 wrote:
I wonder if his stories would contain an element of discipline (in the FCR sense) and if that would be acceptable to mainstream publishers. ('m afraid not)

Actually, since the FCR series takes place in a literary world where big corporations are ok with sending their CEO's to ranches in the middle of nowhere, aware that corporal punishment is used, there is a chance that the mainstream is also more aware and accepting of it? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:07 am

@hellspark72 wrote:
hannahblake1972 wrote: but some of the best thrillers/mysteries I have read in the last few years have had an m/m component.  
Sure, I highly recommend The Long Fall of Night by AJ Rose, Shattered Glass by Dani Alexander, anything written by Tinnean, and Latakia by JF Smith.  I particularly like the following authors although they aren't strictly mystery/thriller writers: HJ Brues, Rob Colton, Tamara Allen, MA Church, Jane Elliot, Jeff Erno, Nick Wilgus, Lia Cooper, Eresse, and Christopher Dangerfield (although his work is only online, and we need a new story soon...hint hint)

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:49 pm

hannahblake1972 wrote:
@hellspark72 wrote:
Sure, I highly recommend The Long Fall of Night by AJ Rose, Shattered Glass by Dani Alexander, anything written by Tinnean, and Latakia by JF Smith.  I particularly like the following authors although they aren't strictly mystery/thriller writers: HJ Brues, Rob Colton, Tamara Allen, MA Church, Jane Elliot, Jeff Erno, Nick Wilgus, Lia Cooper, Eresse, and Christopher Dangerfield (although his work is only online, and we need a new story soon...hint hint)
Thanks for the list, Gretchen.  I second the motion about Chris - loved his Todd and Jessie series and we SERIOUSLY need to know what happened the following week when Todd was grounded - Monkey Training Week.  Also would love the story of the early days for Nakatoni-san and Koyo.
jkfan
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by hellspark72 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:36 pm

hannahblake1972 wrote:Sure, I highly recommend The Long Fall of Night by AJ Rose, Shattered Glass by Dani Alexander, anything written by Tinnean, and Latakia by JF Smith.  I particularly like the following authors although they aren't strictly mystery/thriller writers: HJ Brues, Rob Colton, Tamara Allen, MA Church, Jane Elliot, Jeff Erno, Nick Wilgus, Lia Cooper, Eresse, and Christopher Dangerfield (although his work is only online, and we need a new story soon...hint hint)
Thanks for the recs. I've read most of Tinnean's work and really love it. Some of these are on my to-be-read list but some of these are new to me, so I will check them out.

In turn I would like to recommend Amy Lane, Anna Martin, Jane Seville, Charlie Cochrane, Chris Owen, Ethan Stone, Sloan Parker, Jordan Castillo Price, Julie Bozza, KJ Charles, Kaje Harper, Manna Francis, Marie Sexton, NR Walker, Rhys Ford, Roan Parrish, SE Jakes, TJ Klune, Tere Michaels, Victor J. Banis, Gabriel Morgan, M. Chandler.
hellspark72
Eagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:16 pm

Patricia,

It sounds like we have very similar book tastes.  If you (or anyone ) read on Kindle (or Kindle app) and have a particular book that interests you, send me a message. If I haven't loaned it before, Amazon will allow me to lend it one time.  I would just need your email address associated with your Kindle account. If you (or anyone) want to access my Goodreads library to see what is on my shelf, just PM me for the details.

Back to top Go down

Post by hellspark72 on Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:47 am

Gretchen, thanks for the offer, I will keep it in mind. I am first trying to get through the many e-books I already own. I keep getting distracted by this ranch in Wyoming though...
hellspark72
Eagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum