Welcome to this weekend's camp! The chat thread.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Welcome to this weekend's camp! The chat thread.

Post by Ranger52899 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:30 pm

Welcome to the camp out! Feel free to settle in and enjoy! 

Please start any threads here that you'd like. Any and all subjects are welcomed, these events are about having lots to read and talk about - and please say hi and let us know who has stopped by. 

The general plan for this weekend: 

Threads to play with: a folklore/ghost story thread for where you are in the world; a virtual around the world thread - amazing places that you have been to or would love to go to (and where Tom and Jake would hang out); a campfire thread to share campfire songs, the more annoying the better.... Very Happy (we have Dizzy's Neanderthal to keep annoyed, and you may have that special someone who needs irritating in your life) and a Haiku thread for anyone who would like to try their hand. Smile 

A burning horse thread will take place tomorrow evening (whenever it gets dark where you are). If you haven't joined in one of these before, then when it gets dark in your part of the world, you join in by lighting a candle (feel free to post a picture of it if you'd like to) and posting something/anything on the thread that you'd like to gift. It might be a favourite poem, a youtube link, a meme, anything at all that makes you laugh or think or you'd like to share. 

Rolf and I have a new story - and we're going to ask for your input into it. The first chapter of Washington Square, a new FCR story, will be posted this weekend and we're going to be asking for suggestions/input on where it goes! 

And this thread is for saying hi and for general chat amongst campers. If you'd like to see if we can organise a time this weekend for a big group chat in the chatroom then post here and we'll see what we can arrange. (And what we plan to talk about!) 

So I declare this weekend open, I'll get the fire lit, come settle in and enjoy yourselves!
Ranger52899
Womble in Charge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Re: Welcome to this weekend's camp! The chat thread.

Post by Meirene6307 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:51 pm

I’ve got my blanket and I’m ready for the campfire.  But.  I have less Social skills than Dale managed on his arrival at the ranch.   Maybe I should just watch from a distance.
Meirene6307
Stallion

Back to top Go down

Post by Trisha Louise on Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:08 pm

@Meirene6307 wrote:I’ve got my blanket and I’m ready for the campfire.  But.  I have less Social skills than Dale managed on his arrival at the ranch.   Maybe I should just watch from a distance.

Whatever level of involvement you feel comfortable with, Dawn, but it is already lovely knowing you'll be around the fire.

Cheers 

Trisha
Trisha Louise
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by LLALVA on Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:22 pm

Hello All! Good morning from Mexico, it is 7.45 am over here and it is colder than usual, we have 8C/46F so the fire is appreciated. 

Hugs

Last edited by LLALVA on Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Move a part to another thread.)

LLALVA
Stallion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dizzy on Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:14 pm

I wasn’t really sure where to share this, but I thought we could sit under my favorite tree and listen to it’s song.

Dizzy

Dizzy
Honorary Ranch Family Member

http://dj-wl.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger52899 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:40 pm

Oooh! If we're collecting trees - and what a lovely idea.... 

Ranger52899
Womble in Charge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dells on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:25 pm

We should do a big chat room chat! (If possible) It’s been so long since we’ve done one! Perhaps Sunday to finish us off??

Oooh! Washington Square already has me intrigued... I’ll say it now, I’m already very thankful that you two are so generous with your writing, this is going to be so exciting!

And if we’re sharing trees... well I’ve got a picture of one which looks relatively spooky, so maybe this tree should wait until it gets dark... oh well, here it is. 

Last edited by Dells on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sorry about the image self-rotating, idk how to fix it...)
Dells
Polar Bear Wrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by Dizzy on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:03 pm

I’m saving all these tree pictures!  They make such great wallpapers for your iPad screen.

@Ranger52899. Weeping willows always seem to me that they are whispering the words of the ancients.  yes?

@Dells. I love, love, LOVE your tree against the cloudy sky.  It’s a gorgeous picture.  All dark and almost mysterious.  

Thanks tons!

Dizzy
Dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger52899 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:08 pm

I'm here on Sunday Dells - anyone else?
Ranger52899
Womble in Charge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by LanaBlade on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:11 pm

It's working hours here in the States, but I'll happily chime in with hellos before I run back to my task list.

Smile

LanaBlade

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:21 pm

Sunday for you will be Monday for me but I’ll chime in when I can.
Hayjude

Back to top Go down

Post by Dells on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:32 pm

@Dizzy according to my phone's camera roll, I took that picture in April 2016 - and can you believe it, I've never been able to find that tree again? I always wanted to go back on a sunnier day to capture it, but I cannot remember where I found it! I was driving at the time (I live in a small town surrounded by corn fields - one of which you can see peeking in the background of that pic - so I like to take the back roads on what I call 'adventures' to see what sort of things I can find) and no matter how many times I've retraced my steps, I can't remember where that tree was! But I've come to like the picture now, since the tree was all branches and no leaves, the overcast day really sets a mysterious tone to the picture :-)

Omg I'm sorry for rambling. I just had to share the story apparently lol

I have to work on Sunday but as I work from home and I'm a bad employee who plays on her phone a lot of the day (I still get my work done, it's fine), I'll be around to chat if anyone else wants to/is around!
Dells
Polar Bear Wrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by Dizzy on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:44 pm

@Dells, I enjoyed your ramble!!   I’m in a neighboring state-Missouri, in the heart of the Ozarks.   We have many corn fields here!  Maybe that is why I love your picture so much-it looks just like home.   And the fact that the tree is most awesome.

I travel tons and tons for my job-all over the state.  I tend to do the same thing you do and take back roads (which I then tend to get lost). I pull over all the time to take pictures of trees, the  sky, playful calves and goats, just all sorts of things.   

I’ve a very understanding Neanderthal who will pull over and let me take all the pictures I want.  

Not a tree picture but the most gorgeous sunset that I had to pull over and take a picture of.

Dizzy

Dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:45 pm

Wow, that’s impressive!!
Hayjude

Back to top Go down

Post by Dells on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:01 pm

@Dizzy Ooo the Ozarks! I’ve never been, but I would love to sometime! 

I LOVE that picture!!! What a beautiful - yet ominous? - sunset! Okay, now I have to share a few of mine, because the sun setting is one of my most favorite things to capture... (have to share more than one because I can’t choose just one to share!) (also really sorry most of them self-rotate to their sides, idk how to fix it!)

Dells
Polar Bear Wrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:09 pm

What fantastic sunsets - we get the blazing colors, but no trees - or not many. Place of flat plains where I live. Have to dig out some pictures.
Hayjude

Back to top Go down

Post by Dells on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:11 pm

Yes, please do, Judy! Would love to see them!
Dells
Polar Bear Wrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by Dizzy on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:13 pm

Thank you, @Hayjude and @Dells.   I tend to take tons of pictures so on Sunday evening, I schedule time to unload all the pictures I’ve taken throughout the week.

When I go visit the ranch, I’ll have to schedule time each day to download all the pictures I’ll take!  At the hot springs, at Three Traders, of the horses (from a large distance), of the dogs, and of course the men! 

I love zombie novels, and this sunset was very ominous to me.  I pulled over, took the picture, and sent it to Neanderthal warning him that the zombie apocalypse was on it’s way.

This is a picture from Top of the Rock.

Dizzy
Dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dizzy on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:13 pm

@Hayjude wrote:What fantastic sunsets - we get the blazing colors, but no trees - or not many. Place of flat plains where I live. Have to dig out some pictures.

I’d love to see them, @Hayjude.

Dizzy
Dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dizzy on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:15 pm

@Dells wrote:@Dizzy Ooo the Ozarks! I’ve never been, but I would love to sometime! 

I LOVE that picture!!! What a beautiful - yet ominous? - sunset! Okay, now I have to share a few of mine, because the sun setting is one of my most favorite things to capture... (have to share more than one because I can’t choose just one to share!) (also really sorry most of them self-rotate to their sides, idk how to fix it!)

Oh, @Dells.  Just beautiful!!  I can’t choose a favorite but the one with the tree standing tall and proud as the sun sets, is very thought provoking.

Dizzy
Dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dells on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:35 pm

@Dizzy I bet you'd be the best person to make a photo journal of everything to see on the ranch. Make sure you have lots and lots of memory cards for all your photos!
Dells
Polar Bear Wrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeDee on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:56 pm

I hope I'm able to post this picture.  It's not one I took, but I did see this tree many years ago.  It's over 300 years old and a good portion of it is supported by 2x4s.  It's a Banyan tree.  This one is in Hawaii.  It was absolutely amazing!  

DeeDee
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dizzy on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:01 pm

Oh, that is a beautiful tree, @DeeDee.  I’d have to climb it and just lay on the big branches for hours.  To see it in person must have been magical.

Dizzy
Dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:02 pm

You must be part panther, Dizzy!
Hayjude

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeDee on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:06 pm

@Dizzy wrote:Oh, that is a beautiful tree, @DeeDee.  I’d have to climb it and just lay on the big branches for hours.  To see it in person must have been magical.

Dizzy
The tree is considerably larger than the picture - you'd be amazed by it - it spreads 'forever'.  I really don't know how large it is, but huge seems to fit.  

Dee

Last edited by DeeDee on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : whoops)
DeeDee
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dizzy on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:11 pm

@Hayjude wrote:You must be part panther, Dizzy!

Sadly, no, not part panther.  I broke my arm...twice...climbing trees as a kid.   But they still fascinate me.  Partly because of the things they see in their long lives.

Dizzy
Dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dizzy on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:14 pm

@DeeDee wrote:The tree is considerably larger than the picture - you'd be amazed by it - it spreads 'forever'.  I really don't know how large it is, but huge seems to fit.  

Dee

As amazed as I am of just the picture, I can’t image how big, and beautiful, it would be to see it in person.  You kind of get a small idea by the man that’s walking by it.  Pictures just never give the true beauty.

Dizzy
Dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Zicat on Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:40 am

I'm going to Wyoming to play Burning Horse.
I've got my trusty compass so I won't go off course.
A new game to play and it sounds like fun.
I'll be lighting a candle with the setting sun.

I'm hoping to meet so many friends there.
And taste other Countries unusual fare.
I'll be taking meat pies, with tomato sauce,
And I hope no one offers me Ukrainian Borscht.

I'll give all a biscuit, with Vegemite to try,
And trust me, I know, it's as good as apple pie.
I'll put them on a plate, with confidence and flair.
Hope they all try some. I'll make it a dare.

We'll be singing lots of songs until late at night,
While telling ghost stories in the campfires light.
Once we're all tired we'll go off to sleep,
Listening to the baaing of think fleeced sheep.
Zicat
Sherpa [शेर्पा]

Back to top Go down

Post by Dizzy on Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:50 am

Oh very clever, @Zicat!!  I’m so impressed.

I’ll try your biscuit and Vegemite just because you dared.   My favorite Latin phrase is Audere est Facere (to dare is to do).

Dizzy
Dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Zicat on Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:06 am

Thank you @Dizzy.
I will be kind and only put a teeny bit of Vegemite on the biscuit. Most Aussies put too much on and people, who are not used to it, find it hard to like. It is a taste one must acquire to fully appreciate. Tom and Jake would love it!
Zicat
Sherpa [शेर्पा]

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarabeth on Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:36 am

The window of my college dorm room looked out at Redwood National Park, and I had an apartment where I opened the front door to look at three beautiful redwoods.  I think they are the most magestic tree on earth and one of the world's great treasures.
Tarabeth
Polar Bear Wrangler

http://tarabeth1012.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeDee on Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:50 am

That must have been a great view to have, Tarabeth!

Dee
DeeDee
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Zicat on Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:05 am

Oh, now I have to put a visit to Redwood National Park on my Bucket List. So beautiful.
Zicat
Sherpa [शेर्पा]

Back to top Go down

Post by Zicat on Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:52 am

@LanaBlade wrote:It's working hours here in the States, but I'll happily chime in with hellos before I run back to my task list.

Smile

@LanaBlade!! Please, chime in as often as possible.
Cheers, Cat
Zicat
Sherpa [शेर्पा]

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger52899 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:32 pm

So how did everybody sleep? 

Today is a full day for hiking, reading, soaking in the hot springs, fishing in the river, and anything else that seems fun. It's pouring with rain here so the idea of being in HOT water seems very tempting! 

I will go and start the burning horse thread now, please join in as it gets dark where you are (my deepest apologies to our Antipodean members for being late, this is the first chance I've had to open it today!) 

And later today Rolf and I will be sharing a new story if anyone wants something to read. Smile The chat room is open, there's room for plenty of threads, go have fun!
Ranger52899
Womble in Charge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dizzy on Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:33 pm

@Tarabeth wrote:
The window of my college dorm room looked out at Redwood National Park, and I had an apartment where I opened the front door to look at three beautiful redwoods.  I think they are the most magestic tree on earth and one of the world's great treasures.

The Redwoods are the most majestic trees and definitely one of the world’s great treasures.  We would visit the National Park often as a kid.  I went back a few years ago and I swear the trees were whispering a welcome home.   The history these trees have seen!

Dizzy
Dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Zicat on Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:23 pm

No apologises necessary, Ranger. I was busy watching the Aussies thrash the Kiwi's in a 20/20 Cricket match last night, so was a little too busy for soaking in the Hot Springs. I did take a minute to light my Vanilla Scented Candle at about 8.20pm, so all's good. Smile
Zicat
Sherpa [शेर्पा]

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:30 pm

First, a warm welcome to @LanaBlade.  I'm so glad you're joining in.

I'm not much for taking pictures, so don't have any beautiful tree or spectacular sunsets of my own to share. 

However, I remember vividly seeing this sculpture at Disney World - The Tree of Life in the Animal Kingdom.   It was absolutely fascinating to see all the animals carved into the tree - just flowing seamlessly from one to another.

There are over 300 animals carved into the roots, trunk, and branches.

Last edited by jkfan on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
jkfan
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:31 pm

@Ranger52899 wrote:I'm here on Sunday Dells - anyone else?
I'd love to.  Any ideas on the timing?
jkfan
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by Dizzy on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:34 pm

Oh, I love the Tree of Life!!  We went the first year it was open.  My parents and I took my children.   My dad had to drag me away.  I could have spent the whole vacation just looking at it.

I’m so glad you shared this, @jkfan!

Dizzy
Dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by mc on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:37 pm

Hi, LanaBlade! Welcome!

mc

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:38 pm

Thanks, Dizzy.  Like you, I could have spent hours looking at it.  Someday, I hope to revisit Disney.  The Tree of Life will be my first stop, and I plan to indulge myself.
jkfan
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger52899 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:41 pm

Hi Lanablade! 
Ranger52899
Womble in Charge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by panda1213 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:43 pm

Hi everybody! Smile

panda1213
Foal

Back to top Go down

Post by Dizzy on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:50 pm

Hi @panda1213!  I was just thinking about you!  Your 20 seconds of courage post to be specific.  There’s a hashtag on Twitter about loneliness and I remember you posting about it.  I was honestly just thinking, I hope @panda1213 posts.

Peace and happiness to you!

Dizzy
Dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by LanaBlade on Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:39 am

My husband's dad works at Disney World, JK, so we do all sorts of park-related things when we go.  Some of my favorite things are on the Animal Kingdom side of the parks, since (before they opened the new Avatar area) not as many people go to that park or the resorts on that side.

When I was in High School, my school had two massive fig trees that had grown up in the center courtyard.  I loved them, and I spent my last day of school taking pictures of them.  The teachers thought I was crazy.  Two years later, they had to remove them because they were growing into the building and broke some of the structure.  I was heartbroken.

LanaBlade

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:56 am

That's awful about the fig trees, Lana.  Good for you for taking pictures of them.

The old high school in my town was perched on a hill that had a very long sidewalk going from the street to the front door.  On each side of the walk were majestic elm trees.  Our school song started with

From elm trees tall, soft shadows fall

Years later, they all had to be cut down because of Dutch Elm disease.  Now, they live only in my memory - and the opening line of the school song.
jkfan
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:05 am

Travelled 3 hours yesterday to go see the new born twins so was off the air. Cute as, still in hospital with feeding tubes as they are not yet strong enough to feed entirely on their own. They’ll get there. Had a nurse - very tiny armful.
Will light my fire and candle tonight. My husband will be wondering what anniversary he forgot - LOL!! Can’t wait to find the new story. Hello and hugs to everyone.
Hayjude

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:07 am

@Hayjude wrote:Travelled 3 hours yesterday to go see the new born twins so was off the air. Cute as, still in hospital with feeding tubes as they are not yet strong enough to feed entirely on their own. They’ll get there. Had a nurse - very tiny armful.
Will light my fire and candle tonight. My husband will be wondering what anniversary he forgot - LOL!! Can’t wait to find the new story. Hello and hugs to everyone.
Hi Judy - glad to hear the twins are doing OK, and I'm glad you're here.

The new story is great - and a bit of a surprise.  You'll see what I mean when you read it.
jkfan
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by Dizzy on Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:09 am

@Hayjude wrote:Travelled 3 hours yesterday to go see the new born twins so was off the air. Cute as, still in hospital with feeding tubes as they are not yet strong enough to feed entirely on their own. They’ll get there. Had a nurse - very tiny armful.

Oh, how wonderful for you, @Hayjude!  Hugs back to you and tons of hugs and cuddles for the babies!

Dizzy
Dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum