The Around the World Thread

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: The Around the World Thread

Post by Hayjude on Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:36 am

I'll join you, Dee. I yearn to sail the canals and I want an old tub like the boys bought!

Hayjude
Honorary Ranch Family Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Stocking on Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:44 pm

I have been to England several times but last summer I finally got north to Hadrains Wall.  It was my favorite part of the trip-  I loved how it seemed to go on forever. 
https://goo.gl/images/TkyrfE

I am also a fan of the Burren in the southwest of Ireland-  so stunningly windswept with all the unexpected  prehistoric monuments.

Blue Stocking
Three Trader's Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by JL on Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:02 pm

I'd also like to visit the Broads after reading the Sealark.  My dream trip would be to New Zealand though, followed closely by Australia.  Then I'll head to Italy with my mom, because that's her dream trip...and I'm willing to travel just about anywhere Smile
JL-

JL

https://storiesbyjl.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by hellspark72 on Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:40 pm

I've experienced quite a bit of the Western World already and most places were awesome for different reasons: the mystique and sense of prehistory of Stonehenge and Old Sarum, the Britishness of Victoria until you realise you're also looking at a totempole (!), the history and culture of London, Rome and Paris, the fairy tale like atmosphere in Hoh Rain Forest in Washington State, the tranquility of a weekend on an old fashioned sailingboat in the Strait of Juan de Fuca, the gorgeous, but - to somebody from one of the most densely populated countries in the world - scarily unpopulated and empty deserts of Utah, to name just a few.

I am now really looking forward to experiencing a different kind of culture than that I am used to. My best friend and I are planning on visiting Istanbul in the near future. Middle Eastern architecture and mosaics,

markets (Paul would love this),

hamams,

and Turkish food

I can't wait.

Pat
hellspark72
Eagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Trisha Louise on Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:42 pm

That sounds like a brilliant trip, Patricia.
Trisha Louise
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:20 pm

Jake and Tom will be with you in spirit, I bet!
Hayjude

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeDee on Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:10 pm

@hellspark72 wrote:
I am now really looking forward to experiencing a different kind of culture than that I am used to. My best friend and I are planning on visiting Istanbul in the near future. Middle Eastern architecture and mosaics,

I can't wait.

Pat
Maybe you can post a few pictures for us?  And if those were stuffed grape leaves I saw in that one picture, taste one for me!  I would love to make some, some day!  

Dee
DeeDee
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:44 am

Way late, I know, but my sister just sent me these fantastic photos of the Northern Lights that she took on her recent trip to Norway. I’d like to see it for myself, but I don’t know if I could survive 19 degrees below zero!
Hayjude

Back to top Go down

Post by jefftd on Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:07 am

@Ranger52899 wrote:
Pick the most exciting or wonderful place you've ever been to - or a place that's on your bucket list, even if only in your dreams? 

Pictures, links to videos, descriptions and anecdotes, information - whatever you'd like to share. Tell us about that place!

If it is allowed to be the next place I go that I haven't been, then mine will be Costa Rica, but I leave in less than a week for San Jose, so it won't be an unvisited place for long.  New places are always exciting, and it was a toss up between there and Hawaii (I want some sunshine!), but I was in Honolulu two years ago, so off to Central America I am.  (I still want to go to Volcano National Park on the Big Island, so another trip to Hawaii is actually somewhere down the pike.)

Last edited by jefftd on Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)

jefftd
Silver Bullet Engineer

http://brizbrizuri.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:30 am

Good one - we were in Hawaii last year and saw volcanic lava flowing into the sea - amazing!
Hayjude

Back to top Go down

Post by Trisha Louise on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:06 am

Have a wonderful trip, Jeff.  Magic Carpet
Trisha Louise
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by robyn smith on Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:00 am

Mission Beach in Queensland, Australia - it's roughly half way between the major airports north and south, so it's been a bit slower to be developed. It really is that beautiful. And theres a caravan park next to thebeach, as well as a more luxurious and pricey resort. Just avoid the blue ringed octopus season!

robyn smith
Sheepdog

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:03 am

...and the blue bottles...!
Hayjude

Back to top Go down

Post by Mlle.Lilly on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:12 pm

I don't know how to choose between British Columbia (Canada) and Scotland (United Kingdom) as the place with the most stunning landscapes. There's of course history in Scotland, but such life in BC! And of course, you can tour Scotland in a 3 week roadtrip, which you can't really do on the same scale with BC!

I'm leaving in a few month for a 'round the world trip, so I'm going to watch closely your advice in this thread! I plan to drive the Great Ocean Road in Australia, I'm hoping to see the Atacama desert in Chile, I'm going to Easter Island... and so many other places!

I'm disappointed that I couldn't go to India, so that will be, hopefully, for another trip.
Mlle.Lilly
Sheepdog

Back to top Go down

Post by Trisha Louise on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:19 pm

Jake and Tom would be proud of you! What a magnificent trip you have ahead of you, Lilly.
Trisha Louise
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Missty on Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:31 pm

Googled images of San Jose looks like a beautiful and interesting place to visit. Have fun on your trip Jeff.
Missty
Three Trader's Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by jefftd on Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:34 pm

@Mlle.Lilly wrote:I don't know how to choose between British Columbia (Canada) and Scotland (United Kingdom) as the place with the most stunning landscapes. There's of course history in Scotland, but such life in BC! And of course, you can tour Scotland in a 3 week roadtrip, which you can't really do on the same scale with BC!

I'm leaving in a few month for a 'round the world trip, so I'm going to watch closely your advice in this thread! I plan to drive the Great Ocean Road in Australia, I'm hoping to see the Atacama desert in Chile, I'm going to Easter Island... and so many other places!

I'm disappointed that I couldn't go to India, so that will be, hopefully, for another trip.
Lilly, if you choose to visit India, either make sure you have a great deal of time or make a choice to keep your destinations all within a reasonable radius.  While the trikes with refrigerators moving down the road were always a sight to see and to impress, I think India is one of those countries who true dimensions are misrepresented by a map.  When I was there for business in Delhi, a trip to the Taj Mahal was an all day event, so those kilometers separating places are a bit deceptive, since so many think there is the possibility of first world transit times.  (I will just stop here and hopefully regain my breath from the amount of laughing at that expectation.)

jefftd
Silver Bullet Engineer

Back to top Go down

Post by jefftd on Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:36 pm

@Missty wrote:Googled images of San Jose looks like a beautiful and interesting place to visit. Have fun on your trip Jeff.

In the spirit of just sort of seeing what happens, I haven't booked any local tours, which is something I anticipate doing once I get there, because it sounds like there quite a few fun possibilities, between volcanos and turtles and whatever else they may have.

jefftd
Silver Bullet Engineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Missty on Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:50 pm

Does look like the sort of place you could do on the fly. Pretty built up, so should be lots to do with short notice and actually checking at where your staying for ideas can get you some neat places you might not have noticed in the overwhelming amount of travel info out there. We stick close to home when we do vacations but I always check the hotel lobby for pamphlets and chat up clerks in the tourist trap stores for smaller interesting local places we might be able to squeeze in.
Missty
Three Trader's Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by jefftd on Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:05 pm

Actually, when I was in Hawaii, I did the arrange trips while at the hotel, trip, day of rest, trip, day of rest, etc.  I turned out kind of nice, so I am hoping for a repeat because this is not the time of year to revisit the Olympic Peninsula.

jefftd
Silver Bullet Engineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Missty on Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:25 pm

That sounds really nice. My mother in law ran them ragged in Italy. Which is part of why I didn't want to go, knew I wouldn't be able to keep up the pace. No not the best time of year for a northernish forested area. We were in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in April last year and got lucky even then the weather was decent. Proper winter gear was still a must for walking around.
Missty
Three Trader's Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by jefftd on Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:10 pm

While I love the Olympic Peninsula, I want a bit of sun and a break from the constant drizzle.  I think one of the hazards of living close to National Parks is that everyone else wants to visit, but they don't understands why you don't want to visit (again and again).

jefftd
Silver Bullet Engineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Denicemarcell on Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:34 pm

I am gathering up the travel guides to Ireland for my trip in May, my first non-family, non-school group tour. I have days before and after to wander on my own. Will see if I like traveling with librarians.
Denicemarcell
Polar Bear Wrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by Zicat on Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:22 pm

@Mlle.Lilly wrote:I don't know how to choose between British Columbia (Canada) and Scotland (United Kingdom) as the place with the most stunning landscapes. There's of course history in Scotland, but such life in BC! And of course, you can tour Scotland in a 3 week roadtrip, which you can't really do on the same scale with BC!

Just remember that if you do drive the Great Ocean Road in Australia, or anywhere in Australia for that matter, to stick to the left. We drive on the left-hand side of the road and a lot of people from overseas tend to forget and start driving on the right. But it is worth the road trip as it is so beautiful.
Cheers, Cat
Zicat
Sherpa [शेर्पा]

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:04 pm

Couldn’t agree more...
Hayjude

Back to top Go down

Post by Jjkerner on Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:12 am

Everywhere I haven't been but Italy first.
Jjkerner

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:41 am

Further to your plans of driving in Australia, just remember this handy little rhyme -

The left side is the right side
And the right side is the wrong side.

Simple, yes??
Hayjude

Back to top Go down

Post by Nonni on Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:56 am

I saw a picture today of the roads in New England with potholes and frost heaves galore.  The caption said, "In England, they drive on the left side of the road.  In New England, we drive on what is left of the road!!"  (-;

Nonni
Stallion

Back to top Go down

Post by Zicat on Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:04 am

@Nonni wrote:I saw a picture today of the roads in New England with potholes and frost heaves galore.  The caption said, "In England, they drive on the left side of the road.  In New England, we drive on what is left of the road!!"  (-;
ROTFL
Zicat
Sherpa [शेर्पा]

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:03 am

We have quite a few of those roads out our way, too!
Hayjude

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:19 am

@Nonni wrote:I saw a picture today of the roads in New England with potholes and frost heaves galore.  The caption said, "In England, they drive on the left side of the road.  In New England, we drive on what is left of the road!!"  (-;
I live in Maine, and I can testify to the truth of this statement!
jkfan
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by carinucha on Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:12 pm

Three magical places: Bamyan with its lake of two colors, where you can see the world with the poet Rumi's eyes in Afghanistan, Timor Leste with its landscapes of sea and mountain and people with the most beautiful brown eyes on Earth, and the Peninsula Valdes (where you swim with dolphins and have high tea because the Welsh were among the colons of this mostly empty province). Buenos Aires because it is the most exciting city on Earth.

carinucha
Bunkhouse & Hot Springs Guest

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:54 pm

Wow, magical, far off, exotic places, Carina.
Hayjude

Back to top Go down

Post by carinucha on Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:41 pm

One of the perks of my job and my age: travel and being a citizen of the world. But you could visit Timor Leste, Judy. Is relatively close to your place (all things are relative) and is much more beautiful than Bali!

carinucha
Bunkhouse & Hot Springs Guest

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:12 am

Yes, Bali is not somewhere I really want to go.
Hayjude

Back to top Go down

Post by Zicat on Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:33 am

Nope, me either. I'm not a bit interested in visiting Bali. If I ever won the Lottery, I'd go to N.Z. Though I've been to Auckland this time I would like to do the South Island. Or Canada, I would really love to visit Canada, as I have friends over there, but first I would travel around Australia again. But I'd do it in Summer. I've been reading the News and the UK, Europe and the North of America are having some extremely savage cold weather so this Little Black Duck is going to stay right here in the nice warm climate of Australia for a little while longer. LOL
Warm Wishes to All suffering in those horrid blizzards.
Zicat
Sherpa [शेर्पा]

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:32 am

Yes, warm blessings to anyone who’s feeling the cold. Come to Australia - our Autumn is like other country’s Summer!
Hayjude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:45 am

Here is another pic of our Australian autumn colors - and more trees for Dizzy!

Last edited by Hayjude on Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a bit)
Hayjude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum