Burning Horse! The Saturday Candlelight Thread

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Burning Horse! The Saturday Candlelight Thread

Post by Zicat on Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:35 pm

I was just listening to that song on You Tube, but it wasn't a good copy. Plus, with all these beer songs everyone will think I'm an alco. Smile
And as I said, I'm not really a fan of Slims.
It's a good song for a camp-out though. Been here, done that!

Zicat
Honorary Ranch Family Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Trisha Louise on Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:52 pm

It is Sunday night here and the very last minutes of light as I read everyone's diverse contributions. My candle is sadly more functional than spiritual: citronella to keep the mosquitos at bay as I read this sitting in my vegetable garden with my cat twisting about my ankles.

After uni I moved into a very shabby share house in the inner city. I was on a tram heading home from work before going to my night job feeling so depleted. My back was a line of fire from too many manual handling moves and no equipment, my feet had been sodden early that morning and remained so all day, and the peak hour tram was steaming with the wet coats and umbrellas of all the passengers who just wanted to be Home. 

No one was talking, at least in my memory. 

An elderly man got on at the stop by the Greyhound Hotel. He declined the offered seat and stood swaying in the aisle amongst the school bags. 

"Ladies and gentlemen, does anyone object to the violin?"

The thin note he played swelled and flourished into the most amazing sound, both beautiful and melancholy. The tram lurched through the next stops, people disembarked and others boarded, shuffling for a seat or hand hold, but it was all mere background to this man who lifted us up out of the most ordinary day with his violin. And then he was gone, out into the rain. 

I only ever heard him that one time but I asked after him and several people mentioned him stepping into their day like that. I looked him up when thinking about this thread for Burning Horse and found that he regularly travelled the city's public transport and visited its markets and restaurants to play. He was Lajos Czuczor, "Lolly", a retired engineer originally from Hungary, and he travelled into the city to play every day from 1988 until his death in 2010. Sadly there was very little online about him but this tribute that was published upon his passing, ten years after I had the pleasure of his music on that rainy day.

http://www.onlymelbourne.com.au/m/19674/lajos-lolly-czuczor

Last edited by Trisha Louise on Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

Trisha Louise
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Zicat on Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:09 pm

How Blessed you were to meet such a man and listen to him play. Thanks for sharing this, Trisha.

Zicat

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:12 pm

A lovely memory, Trisha. Sometimes someone steps out of obscurity to touch your life in some way and the experience stays with you and enriches your life and you smile when you bring it out to look at it. Have a good night.
Hayjude
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by Trisha Louise on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:13 pm

You too, Judy.
Trisha Louise
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:07 am

That's lovely, Trisha.  It's amazing how something like that touches your life.
jkfan
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolf101 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:47 am

https://explore.org/livecams/orcas/orcalab-cracroft-point-surface

A day late, but it's getting dark now and I have two electric candles that just popped on and am going to light a hot maple toddy scented candle. Always a lovely smell during the cold of the winter.

The link I shared has been shared before. There are an array of live cameras set up for whale watching, which is where I leave it most of the time. Now isn't the best viewing for the whales, but as the summer months arrive, so do they. Magnificent to see a group of whales making their way across the camera's view, or rarer still, see one breach. Right now it's cloudy but you can see snow on the mountain tops and can soak in the stillness of the scene.

Rolf
Rolf101
Womble in Charge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by AndaMitchy on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:51 am

Rolf, that really is lovely. I could put headphones on, close my eyes, and listen to that all day. Thank you for sharing.
AndaMitchy
Polar Bear Wrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeDee on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:03 am

What wonderfully calm waters.  I watched for a while in the hopes of seeing a whale, sadly only saw a lone bird flying by.  But the sound of the water is so very relaxing.  

Thanks for that share - and it's never too late.  

Dee
DeeDee
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:21 am

@rolf101 - I didn't realize there were livecams like this available, and I love the idea of leaving it on the TV during the day.  I can't afford to live right on the water, but this is the next best thing.  I must have missed it when it was posted before.  Thank you for posting it again.
jkfan
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by Zicat on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:08 am

Thank you, Rolf. Hubby likes the live cams too, he watches a lot of Aussie ones, but I know he will love this Site. Plus, most Sites don't have sound, so it's nice to listen to the water on this one.
Zicat

Back to top Go down

Post by Trisha Louise on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:14 am

@hellspark72 wrote:Hi everybody, happy weekend. 

I would like to share one of the funniest things I've come across the past year: a story about toilet training a cat. One of the best things about this story, I think, is the deadpan Canadian delivery. Enjoy.

toilet training the cat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdUoYMO823o&t=85s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpjWmbYBuo4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owusiEVOww8

I am about to light a few candles, settle on my couch with a cup of tea under a warm blanket (it is nasty cold and wet, today) and catch up on all the previous posts. 

Pat

Oh god this made me laugh. You are absolutely right, his delivery makes it.
Trisha Louise
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Trisha Louise on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:34 am

@knox0606 wrote:I am sitting by a cinnamon stick candle imagining all of us on the ranch.

I came late to the work of Robert B. Parker (Spenser, Jesse Stone, Sunny Randall). Though I had loved the Spenser TV series, I had not read any of the books.  When I met my husband, about 15 years ago, I discovered his vast collection and became a fan.  Parker dedicated almost every book to his wife Joan.  In the forty Spenser books, each dedication could be the line in a lifelong love sonnet.  Some of my favorite:

No one is as interesting, nor nearly so luminous.
Like gold to airy thinness beat.
No dream in vain.
Music all around me.
Still the taste of wine.
Every town is Paris, every month is May.
The rest is decoration.
Priceless.
The fact is the sweetest dream of all.

In SUDDEN MISCHIEF, Parker writes a line of dialogue that has become a touchstone for my husband and me.  Spenser says to Susan,

"Every day I have loved you has been a privilege."

It is a thought that is always with me.  I had two lovely friends who married late in life. She was 72 when she married for the first and only time. I was 42. She always said it was worth the wait.  I feel the same way.  Every day has been a privilege.

Having love in our life is a great privilege--love of partners, parents, friends, pets, spouses, family.  If I was wishing on a star at tonight's campfire, I would wish for each person to feel valued and cherished and loved!

If I was more tech savvy, I would insert Eva Cassidy's recording of SOMEWHERE OVER THE RAINBOW here. The link is https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2rd8VkT8xY

Knox

Knox, what tender dedications and a really moving tradition between the author and his wife. Thank you for telling us about it. "Every day I have loved you has been a privilege" - I almost feel as if I am intruding on a private moment reading these words.

Tom, who many of you knew, loved Robert B. Parker. I know: I spent a long and dusty day organising Tom's many bookshelves. Scurrilous rumour has it that I may have thrown a very dignified fit by the time I reached the Ts. This is one of his that came home with me:

Trisha Louise
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Trisha Louise on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:41 am

@Rolf101 wrote:https://explore.org/livecams/orcas/orcalab-cracroft-point-surface

A day late, but it's getting dark now and I have two electric candles that just popped on and am going to light  a hot maple toddy scented candle.  Always a lovely smell during the cold of the winter.

The link I shared has been shared before.  There are an array of live cameras set up for whale watching, which is where I leave it most of the time.  Now isn't the best viewing for the whales, but as the summer months arrive, so do they.  Magnificent to see a group of whales making their way across the camera's view, or rarer still, see one breach.  Right now it's cloudy but you can see snow on the mountain tops and can soak in the stillness of the scene.

Rolf

SEA LIONS, ROLF! You brought huffing and sun baking sea lions into my lounge room! I love it!
Trisha Louise
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Trisha Louise on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:49 am

@KateM wrote:
I am also bringing to share some Sunflower Bread (seeds and grains are very important for Imbolc) and some freshly made butter (no brats were tortured in the making of the same)

Awww, that adds to the flavour. Wink I'm saving this recipe for a couple of months. When the first autumn fogs roll in I'll try my hand at bread making again. I just can't do it in warm weather. It's like crumpets. There is a Crumpet Season. 

Thank you for a haunting and beautiful song, and for an introduction to the word "imbolc" and a trailhead to explore those traditions.
Trisha Louise
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Trisha Louise on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:58 am

@Missty wrote:Mid afternoon here but pretty sure I am going to be asleep at dusk. I really like this song. This is Me (from The Greatest Showman)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEJd2RyGm8Q

On the very edge of the plateau with the safety of the three of them behind him, Jasper, Paul and Flynn, Riley looked out over the land below and without being quite sure why, 
spread his arms like an eagle drifting out on the wind. 

Eagle Canyon

I can hear Riley's clear voice singing this. It soars like he does. It's perfect for him. Thank you so much for sharing it, Missty.
Trisha Louise
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Zicat on Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:26 pm

R.I.P. Larry
Larry Harvey, influential Burning Man festival co-founder, dies aged 70.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-29/burning-man-festival-co-founder-larry-harvey-dies-aged-70/9708432

Zicat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum