New FCR Story - Washington Square part 1

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

New FCR Story - Washington Square part 1

Post by Ranger52899 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:07 pm

This is part one of a brand new FCR story. It's set in and around the time of Cathedral Close, and this one is a little bit different - in that we're inviting you to help. So read part one first.... 

Washington Square 

The chaos going on downstairs would continue for hours yet. The woman standing at the window in the dark could see the flashing of cameras on the street outside, the endless line of waiting cars, and while inside the large, blooming Italian gardens the catwalk show was over, the party was just beginning. Champagne would flow until the early hours.

She put a hand up to her eye, running it precisely along the line of one lid to prevent the smudging of immaculate mascara. The softness of the footfall behind her made her glance around less warily than she might have done. The man behind her was slender, simply and beautifully dressed as he always was and tonight that was in black jeans that appeared to be painted on over a very taut behind. An expensive and exceptionally high quality black silk shirt hung open over a very crisp white roll neck. He was carrying a glass in his hand which he brought to her, his dark eyes concerned.

“Are you all right?”

No.

Leila Perrin drew a deep breath, standing a little taller. The dress she was wearing was low cut, phenomenally tight and it swept the floor behind her, and despite the warmth of the evening she was trying not to shiver. The man held the glass out, waiting until she took it.

“I heard. Are they serious? Are things really that bad?”

“Apparently they are.” Leila managed a hollow laugh and a swallow from the glass large enough to make her cough slightly. Champagne. She had never been less in the mood for it.

“Is it true?” the man asked her softly. “Leila? Is it?”

“No, of course it isn’t.” Leila said shortly. “I have been shafted. Thoroughly.”

“Will they really be able to sue you?”

“For my having driven Empire into the ground? Oh yes.”

“But you didn’t.”

“No.” Leila looked down into the glass. “I didn’t. But it’s not as if I have anywhere I can go. They’ve trapped me very efficiently. There’s press all around the building, this is going to be in every major paper in America in the morning. Leila Perrin committed fraud and brought down Empire, despite all the advice of her board…. ”

The board. She drained the champagne. Bastards, all of them.

“What if there was somewhere?” her companion asked her.

“There is nowhere.”

“But what if there was?” The man with the soft voice sounded convinced about it. “Somewhere you could just disappear? Is there any evidence you have?”

“Oh the evidence is in the computer system, I know it is.” Leila waved a bitter hand at the desk and the computer behind her. “If I had long enough and dug deep enough, but they’ll cover their tracks, they have access to all this themselves. They’ll make sure it shows what they want it to show.”

“The place I’m thinking of – Leila, I have a friend who is a top forensic accountant. He’s the best of the best. And he lives at the back of beyond somewhere no one would find you. If you can take him the data-”

“But there isn’t any way out of here,”

“Yes, there is.” The man had his phone in his hand. “Authorise the funding for a chopper and a plane, that’s all I need.”

They probably hadn’t thought to rescind her access yet, either to the computer system or to access the Empire accounts. Word wouldn’t have spread beyond the several hundred people who just saw her both publically fired and accused on stage. And they would be waiting for her to face the mob outside the doors… not expecting her to disappear from the roof. Yes. Leila took a breath and not for the first time in her life, reached for a grim will to rise up above this mess and fight. Fight with all she had.

She gave him a short nod and sat down in front of the computer, taking a memory stick from her drawer. Five minutes later she removed the memory stick, located the files, entered her authorisation code…. And the programmes and files began to delete in front of her. The only evidence of anything relating to Empire was now on the memory stick she shut in her small, diamante clutch that matched her dress. The man lowered his phone to watch, giving her a small smile in the dim room.

“It’s done. A chopper’s heading for the roof pad.”

“I’ve got nothing with me,”

Except literally what she stood up in. Five inch heels which were near to making her feet bleed, a ball gown and a thin satin stole, a clutch which held a lipstick and her phone, and the memory stick.

“They’ll take care of you when you get there.” The man guided her to her feet as the computer screen flashed up the message. Files deleted.

“Why? Why should they?”

“Because they’re good friends of mine and the accountant one in particular – this is what he does.” The man gave her a faint and rather mischievous smile. “He lives for bringing down the bad guys. He’ll love this.”

She entered another code, one to blank the hard drive, and left it running as she left with him. She led the way silently through dark and abandoned office hallways towards the stairs to the roof, and he accepted her brief and rather chilled kiss on the cheek as she clambered into the chopper’s interior. The chopper lifted away, leaving him alone on the roof below.

A horse auction was a highly interesting thing, and it was the first one that Dale had experienced.

This one being some two hundred miles off the ranch, they had gone together, all five of them, on an outing somewhat in the manner of the group expeditions they made to Cheyenne occasionally, although this trip required jeans and riding clothes rather than anything smarter. And Riley and Flynn appeared to be considerably keener than they ever managed to get about any other form of shopping. On the mornings they went to Cheyenne mall Flynn never impatiently banged doors about in the yard and inquired whether they intended to take all day or get on with it any time soon, and Riley was never out in the yard with him waiting, not only ready to go without being chased out of the house by Paul, but actively enthusiastic.

The site of the auction was a large, well-kept farm with extensive stables in three separate buildings. Multiple horses were in view loose in the paddocks beyond the farm buildings too, being watched over the fences by some of the many people walking around. The site was busy and the yards full of horse boxes. They had brought their own large box out of its usual mooring by the winter corral, capable of transporting six horses at a time.  

“The auction itself will be over there in the barn,” Riley said to Dale as they walked into the main yard. “In about two hours. That gives us plenty of time to take a good look at the stock first.”

They were, by Flynn and Riley’s judgement and Dale had joined in the discussions around the stock book over several evenings, in the market for potentially three new mares on the ranch, as well as an additional ‘armchair ride’ horse to add for clients and less experienced family members. Riley and Flynn were side by side, strolling calmly but purposefully straight towards the stables, ahead of Jasper who was mostly by Dale’s observations, interested in the farm buildings and machinery, and Paul, who was mostly enjoying the mid morning sunshine.

“The potential breeding mares are in the paddocks over this way?” Dale suggested, having read the signs clearly laid out in the yard that pointed away from the stables. Paul smiled, slipping his hand through Dale’s arm.

“They know. Trust me on this, they plan on looking at every single horse on this site. Not just the ones they might buy.”

“That’s the whole fun of coming to one of these,” Riley pointed out. “Who doesn’t like looking at horses?”

“I know.” Paul agreed. “Whole stables full of horses. Fields full of horses. More horses than you can shake a packet of lifesavers at.”

“This is a planned gap to fill in our stock?” Riley said severely as if he felt that Paul was not taking this seriously enough. “We’re not just randomly shopping here?”

“Oh you and Flynn never randomly shop for a horse.” Paul agreed. “You never do it anywhere there’s coffee either. But it’s fine, go right ahead. I have a book.”

Riley dropped back a step to barge Paul’s shoulder with his. “You just mean we’re getting you back for every shopping trip and every museum visit you’ve dragged us on!”

Paul laughed, accepting the barge without complaint. “There’s a certain irony to me, yes. Go on love, take Dale and enjoy yourself. Try on horses all day if you want to.”   

It was a very entertaining couple of hours. They walked slowly through the line of loose boxes in the extensive stable blocks, and for all his teasing Paul came with them and took his own time hanging over the half doors, stroking noses and talking to horses of all shapes and sizes. They ranged from the tiniest children’s ponies up to heavy horses. Each stall was numbered with a clipboard and attached information, which Dale, who had appreciated horses all his life and knew the details of every horse on the ranch, read as they went, processing them in an organised fashion with an ear on Riley and Flynn’s listing of key points and observations. The two of them swiftly homed in on one large and soft eyed gelding, middle aged and easy going, who one of the auction grooms brought out of his stall for them to see his gait. The gelding seemed to enjoy the attention and having been offered a lifesaver by Flynn, spent several minutes gently and hopefully trying to pick his pockets for more.

“Known as Bodger,” Riley read from the card, “Bodger? Who came up with that gem? Riding horse, two known previous owners at a riding stables. What’s he going to be like over rough ground?”

“We’d have to do some teaching,” Flynn agreed. “But he’s used to strangers and inexperienced riders, he’s fit and well built, and I like his temperament. He’s a good size too, Luath and Jake could ride him when they’re home. We’re not likely to get a client too big and heavy for him to handle. Lot number 38.”

“Willing to bid for him?” Paul asked. Flynn glanced at Riley for confirmation and nodded.

“Yep, he’d do us. He can go on the list as a possible.”

In the next half hour they identified two more; one a young but solid horse that lacked experience with riders but seemed placid and what Riley termed as bomb proof, and a heavy mare that Riley dismissed on sight but which Flynn lingered over, taking some time checking her legs.

“We don’t need another mare around Bandit,” Riley argued, “Gucci’s got a foal because of having a corral horse who’s a mare, and we only kept her because Jas fell in love and doesn’t take her up near Bandit’s gang much. Besides, this one’s way out of condition.”

“She’s been left to stand around over eating and not getting enough exercise, we can fix that.” Flynn stood back to look critically at the mare’s build. The mare eyed him back with deep suspicion. “Look at her neck. And chest.”

“Yes, she’s pretty,” Riley agreed, “But she’s standing as sloppy as hell. Lazy. She won’t want to do corral work. We could stick her up with Bandit as a brood mare, maybe, although she’s a bit old for that, and it’s going to come as a bit of a shock to a stable couch potato to get turned loose all year round in all weathers.”

“Attitude can be fixed too.”

“Is she really going to throw a colt worth all that work?” Riley flipped the clipboard up to look with Dale and the information. “Argh. Flynn, she’s called Twinkle for pete’s sake, I’m not having a horse on the ranch called Twinkle.”

Lupins.

Having been enjoying the bickering between two of his favourite people in the world, Dale suddenly breathed the soft, subtle scent of the flower, a second before he thought the word. He knew the scent and loved it. The lupins grew thick in early summer, up on the tops where the wild flowers were knee deep and the horses loved to graze. It was one of the most beautiful spots on the ranch.  

There were no flowers anywhere in sight in the middle of a large, busy stable.

About thirty other people were surveying horses in the large loose boxes up and down the sides of the building. Their conversations made for a steady buzz of sound interrupted by the occasional snort, stamp and hurrumph of horses, and all of them were oblivious to the scent of wild flowers. Flynn was pointing out he didn’t care what Riley called a horse so long as it was a useful contributor to the ranch, and Riley was pointing out equally firmly that he didn’t see the mare was going to contribute anything except trouble.

The scent of lupins was still there. And it was accompanied now by a sense of alertness. A sense of purpose.

This tended to happen, usually at the most inconvenient of times and in the most random of places. Familiar with it by now, Dale intentionally took a breath, let himself relax and clear his mind, and waited. The sense of purpose was strong and the pull of it was ahead of him. Some way ahead of him, further up the building. Leaving Flynn and Riley discussing, Jasper talking to a grey cob in the next box and Paul chatting to a couple of people also considering the mare, Dale walked slowly and unhurriedly up the line of stalls as if just stretching his legs. He knew which stall it was going to be fairly quickly. The pull was strong, the sense of calm importance was strong. And now he could see the head looking over the half door, the head swung in his direction.

It’s you, isn’t it?

Dale reached him, and almost at once the horse stooped its head towards him. Not towards his face, but towards his jacket, breathing it. Then it abruptly danced a little on the spot, the way the foals did when excited, and produced a sound that came from a shockingly deep horse voice. The horse was big. Unusually big for a hunter, with long, strong bones. Nearly sixteen hands by Dale’s judgement, with long legs and gentle but intent eyes that were looking straight at him.

Buy me.

That was ridiculous. Horses did not demand to be bought. It was always difficult to sort his imagination from any real information he could gather, and Dale reined his in sternly. He still couldn’t help staring back at the horse. He was, in an elegant kind of way, utterly magnificent.

“Dale? You missed a few, what are you doing? Who’s this?” Riley leaned on the half gate beside him, and ran a hand down the horse’s neck. “Wow, now he’s a beauty. Tall! You don’t often see anything this big outside of the Shires.”

“Cleveland Bay.” Flynn had followed them. “He is spectacular. Especially for such an old boy.”

“How old?” Riley leaned over to read the clipboard Flynn picked up. “Twenty six? He doesn’t look it.”

“He’s in good condition.” Flynn opened the half door and went into the stall, running his hand along the bay shoulder and down one leg. The horse easily let him lift the foot and move it. “Good blood. Very good blood, and he’s been well cared for. Nice horse.”

“Worked on a dude ranch, now needing a retirement home.” Riley read off the clipboard.

“Is that likely at an auction?” Dale asked him. Riley nodded, lifting the sheet to read the last details.

“Yeah, you find all kinds of everything here. Sometimes people’ll buy a steady, elderly horse as a field companion or a nanny to youngsters in a field. Half our batchelor herd are our retirees.”

Buy me.

Horses didn’t have words like that; it wasn’t exactly a thought so much as a sensation that came from this horse in a way Dale had never felt from an animal before. A determination of I’m coming with you. It was powerful.

“You like this one, don’t you?” Flynn glanced across at Dale with a neutral expression that would have fooled anyone who didn’t know him. “You’re so like Philip. Always the big ones. Want to see his pace?”

“We can’t take another retiree on the ranch.” Dale said lightly.

Flynn shrugged. “We’re on how many square miles? You could have a herd of elk and a couple of elephants if you wanted them, kid. It’s no kind of problem.”

Somehow that was a surprise to hear. Dale looked back at the horse, who was fixedly gazing at him. “Really? You wouldn’t mind?”

“He won’t break the bank – not that that would matter for the right horse – and we’ve got plenty of room.” Flynn patted the heavy neck, looking the horse over. “He couldn’t do a working day or run with the bachelors, much too rough a life for this old man, and we’d need to stable him in bad weather, but he’s probably got a few good years left in him if he gets good looking after, and good company.”

“You know we’ve both done it ourselves?” Riley said lightly, leaning on the door beside him. “Often. Philip did too. Flynn and I have often taken home a hard luck case or an interesting one we wanted to work on, it’s ok. I found a kid’s pony here about four years back who was freaked out of its mind and unsaleable, and spent about six months sorting her in my spare time. She was fun, I learned a hell of a lot from her, and she’s the favourite kids’ ride on the Waterfields dude ranch over by Pinedale now. It’s what we do, we like horses around here.”

“I have Hammer.” Dale pointed out, and his attachment to Hammer was a powerful one. Amongst stiff competition there was no better riding horse on the ranch in Dale’s eyes. Riley snorted.

“You can have more than one horse you know?”

He moved on to the next box with a delicacy Dale appreciated, stooping to scratch the ears of the stocky, shaggy pony there. Flynn came out of the stall, latching it behind him, and ran a hand lightly down Dale’s arm, his deep voice quiet enough to be for Dale’s ears only.

“It’s just as ok if it’s plain one you like. Doesn’t always need to be a purpose or a plan. We don’t need to be able to justify it.”

I still need reminding of that sometimes.

“He’d need a little gentle exercise a few times a week,” Flynn dug for a lifesaver and the horse accepted it quietly from his hand. “If you’re up for doing a little extra light riding on top of your chores I think you’d be good for him, and he’d be good for you. Think about it.”

Buy me.

The horse was still staring at him down that magnificent nose with those deep, amber eyes.

It was hard to make himself walk away from the stall and continue looking through the other horses like a mature adult. Despite himself, Dale didn’t remember or take in much information for any of the others; his mind strayed constantly back to the Cleveland Bay.  

In the auction barn, where the bidders were seated on bales of straw stacked in bleachers on either side of a large, central pen, Dale sat between Jasper and Flynn and watched each horse led out, walked and trotted in a circle. A large card with their allocated customer number on it was in Flynn’s hand, and as Bodger, the large and laid back gelding came out and the bidding began, Flynn waited until the couple of initial bids quietened, then raised their card. They bought him without difficulty, most of the bidders there were looking for riding horses for themselves, ponies for the many kids sitting on the straw bales, and a few like them looking for breeding mares. The bidding for the mares Riley and Flynn preferred was more heated and Flynn pressed for two of them, giving way on the third.

“Not worth it for the price,” Riley muttered across Jasper to Dale. “She’s nice but not that nice… oh lord it’s Miss Poutypants. Who called that madam ‘Twinkle’?”

The overweight, scowling mare refused to trot despite the galloping of the groom beside her, dug her feet in and turned her bottom towards the auctioneer in a clear refusal to co ooperate. Riley groaned as Flynn raised the card.

“You only like her because she’s a stroppy cow!”

“I like the depth of her chest.”

“Yes. Put her with Bandit and you’ll get fast, intelligent foals with deep chests and amazing stamina, who put it all into being stubborn, pouty pains in the asses! Do you want another Belle?”

“Belle throws beautiful foals, and Bandit can handle her.” Jasper reminded him from the bale of straw above and behind him, as Riley was largely leaning against his knees. There were not many bids for Twinkle and Flynn put in their winning bid for her.

“Next lot, Gareth; Cleveland Bay, 26 years old, lovely temperament for a companion horse,” The auctioneer announced. Dale’s chest squeezed in spite of himself. This was the moment to speak to Flynn, to ask him. And yet it was ridiculous. Impulsive, based on nothing more than an emotional liking for a horse who could be nothing more to the ranch than a pet – it made no sense. And yet he wanted with all his strength to ask. The bay walked with dignity into the ring, tall and stately, like an elderly knight. His pace was smooth and regal. An Arthurian knight’s name was perfect for him. “Starting bid $300.”

Even across the barn, the horse’s calm head turned and the eyes scanned until they found Dale.

Buy me.

He was looking. Actually looking, asking. It was far too powerful to resist. Dale drew in his breath to say something, but without looking at any of them, Flynn raised their card. Dale glanced at him, startled.

“Never mind if you’re not sure,” Flynn said back under his breath, and he looked perfectly relaxed about it. “I am. That horse likes you.”

I love this man.

Dale watched the mighty horse pace slowly around in a circle ahead of them. There was only one other bid; Flynn topped that promptly, and a moment later the gavel fell and Gareth, like Twinkle, was theirs.

Outside in the yard, as Flynn signed the paperwork at the desk, Jasper brought the horse box round in the queue of boxes collecting horses. Grooms gathered their five chosen horses and led them over. Dale went to take Gareth’s rein and looked up into his long, strong face of the horse that was now theirs- his - and for the first time truly let the feeling free to rush over him. Beautiful horse. There was something about him, something that grabbed Dale deeply and powerfully, and something about a peaceful certainty and satisfaction in the horse was tangible. Paul reached past him to stroke Gareth’s nose.

“Flynn’s right, isn’t he? You and this horse have really fallen for each other. He’s a beautiful boy, Philip would have adored him.”

Dale didn’t answer, and felt Paul’s hand slide into his back pocket and his voice, soft for Dale’s ears only.

“It’s ok to have possessions sweetheart; you are staying. You don’t need to guilt about it. It’s ok to like things just because you like them. You can spend the evening writing that some more if we haven’t practiced it enough yet?”

Dale glanced across at him with a wry smile, the reverie cracked. Paul was good at seeing it.

“No. Thank you, I think I have that one pinned down.”

Gareth strolled up the ramp of the horse box after Dale as if he’d been theirs all his life, and Bodger, who seemed to like Gareth, loaded beautifully too. So did two of the mares. Twinkle declined to load. Not by spinning or dancing or kicking, simply by standing still and glowering into the middle distance. Riley looked pointedly at Flynn. Flynn didn’t comment, just raised the ramp without letting go of her rein, closed up the horse box, and as Jasper climbed into the driving seat and started the engine, Flynn walked her down the long drive towards the road.

She walked with him initially, looking quite triumphant at having defeated them all. Within a half mile she was panting and getting hot, and looking considerably less triumphant, particularly as Flynn’s stride was long and brisk when he was working and she was having to trot to keep up with him. He walked her at least another half mile. When Jasper pulled over to the side of the road and Flynn opened the horse box and pulled down the ramp, this time Twinkle went up without hesitation, apparently now convinced that this mad bastard meant to walk her across the state.

They put the mares together in one pasture that evening, away from the corral herd with time to get used to the sights, sounds and smells of the ranch. Bodger and Gareth went into the small training paddock which was nearest to the house. On Flynn’s advice, Dale provided both of them with a hot mash, more for Gareth’s benefit than Bodger’s, as an elderly horse subjected to the stress of travel and a new place needed encouraging to eat and to be provided with something comforting. Not that Gareth looked in the least stressed. He walked with Dale into the paddock without hesitation and stood looking over the fence in each direction, snuffling the wind and taking in the view with great interest. He ate the mash with delicate enthusiasm and took a long drink from the newly filled trough, and was experimenting with rolling in the long paddock grass when Dale and Flynn left him.

It was about three thirty am when Dale snapped fully awake. Not with any kind of shock, just with a sense of something needing attention. It took him a moment to know what. Then he rolled over to Flynn, squeezing his shoulder gently. “A plane’s coming in.”

Flynn’s arm closed around him as he surfaced, Dale braced on one elbow and they listened together. The sound of an engine in the distance became slowly more audible.

“Do you know who?” Flynn muttered. Dale shook his head.

“No idea.”

They dressed and went quietly downstairs, Dale checking the phone – which held no messages – and Flynn taking the keys for the jeep. They met Jasper up standing on the landing strip, his arms folded, watching the plane on the grass. He appeared to have been there for some time. He gave them a faint smile in the darkness as they got out of the car. The plane steps were unfolding. The person coming down them – prepared for an ANZ representative, Dale raised his eyebrows at the woman in high heels descending the steps in an elaborate floor length ball gown and silk stole, wholly inadequate for a cool night.

TBC!

So.... we've been asked many times to write about a female visitor to the ranch house! Here's your chance to have a hand in this plot. 

If you were that female exec arriving at the ranch, what would you wonder? What issues might you experience? What do you see ahead for Leila? 

Have fun!
Ranger52899
Womble in Charge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Re: New FCR Story - Washington Square part 1

Post by Dizzy on Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:19 pm

I’m not super sure if I’m answering in a helpful manner, but I’ve a feeling I’m very different to Leila.  Very professionally driven, but in personal life have a lot of fears.  I’m an information junkie, I don’t like surprises, and I like everything spelled out explicitly.   So, what I would want to know might not be the same thing Leila would want/need to know.  

Keeping that in mind, the first thing I think Leila might want to know is what is the schedule of the house-any place off limits, a private place for myself, and most importantly, where’s the nearest coffee pot (just being silly with the last).

I’m very intrigued at the idea of a woman being on the ranch.  Especially in this context.  Will she want to lean heavily on Dale to quickly clear her name?  I think she might need to learn that things happen on Ranch time, which is a bit different than she’s probably used to.

Dizzy
Dizzy
Honorary Ranch Family Member

http://dj-wl.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Stocking on Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:29 pm

This is great! I had been wondering if Dale would move into the type of advising Execs that Phillip did.  Not to replace the Exec rescue work but as a supplement to it.  I see her in that role-  not a client like Mason and Dale were —but an advisee.  It seems a logical extension of Dale’s work.  

I am sure she is wondering where she is and who can help her way out in the middle of Wyoming.  ( I wonder who Darcy called if not the Ranch?).   Might be a bit intimidating to be the only female around as well.  I just had this conversation with a friend -  I am often the only woman in the room at a Board or Sr Exec meeting and even when you know all the other attendees it can be a bit —-I do not know what word to use.  Not awkward but there is a certain level of awareness with me.  

Thanks for this!  It will be fascinating to see it progress.
Blue Stocking
Hike Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by iam on Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:12 pm

I cannot express how excited I am for this story! A female exec visiting the ranch AND new horses?! I am beyond thrilled for the next chapter(s) Very Happy 

This made me chuckle: Wink
“You’re so like Philip. Always the big ones."

I'm a very anxious person, so I would definitely be vary when arriving at the Ranch, both because of being the only woman but also because of the, well, ranch setting. Leila surely is a lot more confident than me, but she also has that whole framed for fraud business going on... First of all, she needs more appropriate clothing, though! I wonder in who's shirts she fits the best Wink

I also wonder what made Darcy refer her to the ranch! After all, they don't just invite any exec in trouble...

In that context I also can't help but think about her sexuality. Sometimes you just know that someone's part of the club, right? Which can be incredibly calming, especially in stressful situations. And I bet Darcy has an excellent gaydar.

@Blue Stocking wrote: I wonder who Darcy called if not the Ranch?
I assumed he did call the ranch but Jasper was able to pick up the phone before anyone else woke up? Or maybe he knew how to reach Jasper more directly? Since those two are rather good friends...

iam
Coyote

Back to top Go down

Post by knox0606 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:32 pm

Wow! Wow! Wow!  What a treat at the already overflowing banquet table that is the Camp Out Weekend!

First, I am wondering if Darcy is also on the plane.  I can see him accompanying her for moral support as well as introducing her into the family. I wouldn't expect him to stay more than a couple of days, particularly if she will be on the ranch for a while.

If I was the sole woman, with a group I don't know, I would be concerned about feeling safe. Clearly, she trusts Darcy and his recommendation will go a long way.  I think giving her the third floor to herself would be good. The bunkhouse might feel a little too isolated particularly for someone used to city living.

Not knowing if she rides, I think she might spend a good part of each day with Dale and Paul initially.

I am so excited about the new horses, Leila and this story. I wonder if she will meet Clara when Clara comes to examine the new horses.  Hmmmm.....

Thanks R & R.

Knox

knox0606
Sheepdog

Back to top Go down

Post by HHK on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:13 pm

What a great start to a new story! 

I'm wondering how much Leila was told about the ranch and how it works. It takes a lot of confidence or desperation to go to an unknown place full of people you don't know, to ask for help.
She must be a good friend of Darcy to put that much trust in him. Or she's the kind of person who always jumps in at the deep end  Smile
I'm looking forward to see how confident she is that a cowboy accountant will be able to help her  Laughing

Just reread the beginning - it doesn't say "Darcy" anywhere - are we just basing that on the pretty clothes and good body  giggles

Last edited by HHK on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
HHK
Sheepdog

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarabeth on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:16 pm

This is off to a wonderful start.  I have a hard time offering things because I so love what the two of you come up with.  

I think as others have mentioned she would have concerns being dropped on a ranch with all Cowboys and not a woman in site.  

If Darcy isn't with her, I got the impression he wasn't.  She might have questions about when she will see or talk to him.  

I think she would need tea, warm comfortable clothes and most especially shoes/boots.  An overview of what Dale and family can do to help her and what their expectations of her are...and then I would imagine she would want something to remove her make-up so she could go to bed.  

Thank you for the start of what looks to be a fun journey.
Tarabeth
Polar Bear Wrangler

http://tarabeth1012.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by knox0606 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:21 pm

I just read this again and realized Darcy did not go with her. I can't wait to hear what kind of "heads up" he gave the family.

Knox

knox0606
Sheepdog

Back to top Go down

Post by KateM on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:27 pm

Thank you R&R for starting this story.
I love that the horse picked Dale and am looking forward to seeing what their bond means for them both.

And Twinkle.. I fear she will be a handful

Okay.. as to Leila... she's not a client.. she hasn't gone through the intake procedure nor does she have her firms backing so it will be her visiting as an exec that needs a hand - thinking along the lines of those Philip helped in the past and also the men who came for the meeting in The Brig. She's not there for sorting herself out but so Dale can help sort out someone/a company that is out to screw her over.

I am pretty sure Jasper knew she was coming to be up at the landing strip already.. but I doubt he has his own phone. If they were all off at the horse sale at the time then Darcy would only have got the answer phone. Maybe he cleared it with another family member... perhaps Luath?

I don't think Leila is in any fit state to worry about much just now. She seems to be in shock after i guess some sort of public take down of her work - Darcy mentioned 'on stage' ?? I see her needing a lot of tea and sympathy - probably from Paul - while Dale works his magic.

I am going to assume she is probably going to know who Dale is - if not by sight then by name and reputation

going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

And someone give Clara a bell and ask to borrow son clothes and toiletries.. if try aren't set up for woman on the ranch it's that or go shopping a very soon
KateM
Silver Bullet Engineer

Back to top Go down

Post by JL on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:50 pm

I'm making my own comments before reading anyone else's, or I'll get distracted.  LOL.  Well, if I was Leila, I think I would have had a few more questions for Darcy before getting on that helicopter.  However, considering the fear, hopelessness and desperation that was probably filling her, it's very possible I'd forget to ask anything and just cling to the one slim chance that me and my reputation could be saved.
   Once getting off the plane at the ranch, and met by three cowboys, I'm sure I'd have a thought to my safety as well as wondering if there were any other women around. 
   It would definitely be hard to trust these men at first, since I don't know them at all, and since I'm in a situation where people--some I probably trusted quite a bit--have hung me out to dry to either save themselves or garner money.  My heart and self-confidence would have taken a hard blow and I'd be reeling. 
   On the heels of all that--the five inch heels (LOL)--my mind would run to practicalities.  I have nothing more than the clothes I'm wearing, and have no idea how to get the basic apparel and toiletries that I need.  Also, if there is some loved one or family member who I still trust or I know cares, I'd need to contact them and at least let them know of my whereabouts. 
   I'd be worrying about my future.  Do I have a future?  Do I have to start from nothing in a business that has just thrown me away?  Do I have to find something new to do with my life?  Will I ever be trusted in my career?
   I assume Leila is a strong individually--emotionally and intellectually--but I think feelings of being overwhelmed, betrayed, and scared would be running rampant right now.  Along with, "Why the heck did Darcy think a bunch of cowboys could help me?  Did a twister just send me to Oz?"

JL-
JL

https://storiesbyjl.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by JL on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:51 pm

I have to also add in--she better not get too friendly with Jasper.  He's mine!
JL-
JL

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:11 pm

And we're all assuming it's Darcy who's sending Leila to the ranch - so did I.   

Leila must trust him, since she puts her fate in his hands, and the hands of his friends.  So much depends on what she knows when she gets off that plane.  Darcy told her that it's a remote location, so that won't be a surprise.  Does she know what state?  Or that it's a ranch?

Once she gets into some proper clothes (probably not fitting especially well - I think Dale's clothes would be the best candidates), and introductions are made, I would think the first thing that would happen is that Paul would offer some tea, get a room ready, and then suggest that a good night's sleep is in order before they tackle the problem.

Will she recognize Dale's name?  If she does, then she'll know she's in good hands.  If she doesn't, then I imagine a kitchen table pow wow will be in order after breakfast.  She won't have all the usual client rules, but will probably get the version Riley got when he first came to the ranch.

She might be a little suspicious, or wary, at first, but after a conversation with Dale, I think she'll start to feel more comfortable.  These are men that are used to making strangers feel welcome.  Think of The Brig, for example.  I may be naive, but I don't think gender will be a huge factor here.  

It was bound to happen eventually.  As more women join the ranks of corporate executives, eventually some might need the ranch.  I can't see any of the guys turning down someone because of gender.

I haven't got even a glimmer of an idea about the reason for the instant connection between Dale and Gareth.  I wonder if Philip is whispering in Dale's ear.
jkfan
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by JL on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:30 pm

I personally don't think Leila will know who Dale is.  If she is in the fashion world, as most of us are assuming, then I doubt there'd be a lot of crossover in their worlds.  Yes, Dale deals in big businesses, and fashion is a big business, but I still don't think Leila would necessarily know of Dale.
   On those thoughts, I'm thinking Dale would be pleased to be able to help someone  who doesn't immediately recognize his name.
JL-
JL

Back to top Go down

Post by Zicat on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:34 pm

Loving this story so far....Can't wait to read more. I know, I'm greedy. LOL
I know a girl who was raised in the city, met a truck driver in her thirties, married him, and is now driving road trains in the Northern Territory of Australia. So maybe Leila was born and bred on a Ranch in Texas, moved to the city, and knows all there is to know about Ranches?
This woman is desperate for help, any kind. Maybe she has met Dale before, she does work for a corporate, and once she sees him she knows she is in safe hands. Plus she was sent to the Ranch, so she would trust that person (Darcy?) to not send her into a situation she would be uncomfortable with.
Zicat

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:45 pm

@JL wrote:I personally don't think Leila will know who Dale is.  If she is in the fashion world, as most of us are assuming, then I doubt there'd be a lot of crossover in their worlds.  Yes, Dale deals in big businesses, and fashion is a big business, but I still don't think Leila would necessarily know of Dale.
   On those thoughts, I'm thinking Dale would be pleased to be able to help someone  who doesn't immediately recognize his name.
JL-
I agree, JL.  I remember how Dale pitched right in to help Gerry when Gerry arrived unannounced at the ranch, certain he was about to be arrested for a financial snafu.  This is what Dale does for fun.
jkfan
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by curious1_53 on Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:17 am

Sorry, I don't think I have anything I can contribute, but this is a delightful start to what I'm sure will be an excellent story. 

I kept thinking it was Darcy at the start, but how many others are sons of the Ranch? I seem to recall there were dozens at the funeral in 3T, so perhaps this is a new character. I'm sure Dale's reputation is very well known among the sons of the Ranch, especially since Gerry has first-hand experience and is never shy about telling others anything.

curious1_53
Polar Bear Wrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by Trisha Louise on Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:23 am

There is  real grace and confidence that radiates off Riley and Flynn when they are immersed in their horses, and an easy manner in their teaching regarding this business about which they are so passionate. There's an equal grace and wonderful pacing with which you both transmit information to the reader about a world and business unfamiliar to many of us. You deal with words as skilfully as Flynn deals with a horse - and oh how he won that round! So good. 

Darcy, is that you in the well fitting jeans? Who have you sent their way? I do hope whoever it is has not been misled by Leila's assertions of her innocence in the business strife she is facing with Empire. But would you fly out to see a top forensic accountant if you had something you didn't want uncovered? Or was it the offer of escape that was forefront in her mind at that moment? Whatever follows in the coming chapters, someone get this woman some comfortable socks, a cup of tea and a bed. 

The men have always been adamant that Dale limit his business work to previously agreed times that allows that healthy balance he's put so much effort into finding. Gareth could not have called out to Dale at a better time, giving him something else to claim his attention amidst whatever work he ends up doing for Leila. Yes, Mr Four Husbands, you can have more than one horse. This boy is a beauty.

Ranger and Rolf? Thank you for this gift this special weekend. 

Trisha
Trisha Louise
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Zicat on Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:39 am

Oops, naughty me, I forgot my manners. Thank you for reminding me Trisha, and thank you, Rolf and Ranger. I am loving this new story!
Hugs, Cat
Zicat

Back to top Go down

Post by Denicemarcell on Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:03 am

I am trying to decide whether Leila would be all “I need this solved right now!” Or more “I need help with this, are you the person who can do that?”
Would a non-client be expected to be keep to the plainness and uniformity of the clients?
Belle has competition she will not be pleased! Will Hammer be jealous of Gareth?
Thank you for a new story.

Denicemarcell
Three Trader's Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:16 am

I had to drop off for a couple of hours to do some work, but kept thinking about this story.  Trisha mentioned two possibilities that drove Leila to the ranch - desire to get help with the accounting or a desire to escape.  I think both are correct.

I was also thinking about the 'mechanics' of having a woman on the ranch - not a client, so no advance notice to buy clothes.  And Leila will need some.  Somehow, I can't see her in 5" heels and a ball gown for very long.
She'll probably be stuck in the house until she gets some appropriate footwear, and will have to make do with borrowing someone else's clothes (I'm thinking Dale is probably closest to her size) until Paul can shop in Jackson.  No hair dryers, so she'll have to rough it there.

I doubt she'll be there long.  When Philip had CEO's visit, it doesn't sound like they stayed more than a few days (I'm thinking about Riley's father, for example).  

Rolf and Ranger - thank you for an intriguing story and the chance to participate.  This is FUN.
jkfan
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by Dells on Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:19 am

Yay! Thank you for a new story! I'm excited to see where this one goes.

I'm glad others thought the man at the beginning was Darcy because I did too. It doesn't seem like he gave her a lot of warning about where she was going or give the ranch any warning about her coming. He must trust her. Maybe that's not the right way to word it, I'm mostly trying to say she must not be a Madeline Loudon type of gal (thankfully, we can only handle one of those!). They're clearly friends. This spells good things about her.

Okay, if I was Leila and in her situation, my first thought would be how in the world do I explain what I'm doing here and why. I saw someone else say something about safety being a concern - I would, too, if I was the only female in a group of men I don't know, but from my initial perceptions of Leila, I get a feeling that she wouldn't be all that bothered about it. She must have a lot of trust in Darcy to have gotten on the chopper in the first place, so she must trust she'll be safe where she's going, and I don't think the being surrounded by only men will concern her - as a female exec in 2009ish (?), she'll be used to being around men.

Also if I was Leila the first thing I'd do is kick off those heels. Lol. Then find 'the accountant' that Darcy talked about (Dale) and get it sorted out as quick as possible. I personally would want to get out of their hair ASAP because I wouldn't want to impose on them, given I'd just dropped in. 

I have no idea where you plan to take the plot next but I'm so looking forward to it! Is it extremely bad manners of me to ask when we might expect the next part? (Not that I'm pressuring! Just curious and a teensy bit insatiable. I can see myself to a corner if necessary)

Last edited by Dells on Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Dells
Three Trader's Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by synystraal on Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:24 am

A woman at the top of any field needs to be strong willed, have thick skin and be able to read other people.

If Leila's current predicament was a total surprise, her mind will be boiling with thoughts of her career. As a senior executive, she will not be terribly concerned with meeting or relying on strangers for various services - the job of an executive is essentially delegating responsibility. When she's more settled, future decisions come to play.

-Regarding career: what, if any, clues did she missed? who is behind her downfall? who did the dirty work? why was she targeted? how to repair the damage to her company? how to clear her name?

-Regarding the ranch family: who are these people [their relationship(s), skills, backstory]?

-Future: does/can she want to resume her job? [Dale did not.]

Thanks for a wonderful new story! Very Happy

Last edited by synystraal on Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correct list order)

synystraal
Sheepdog

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:27 am

I wonder if fixing this will entail Dale flying to another city, as he had to for Ms. Loudon.  If he does, I trust he's learned his lesson, and will let his husbands know what is planned.
jkfan
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:32 am

If this is set around the time of CC, as Ranger said, Dale is better about withholding or waking Flynn issues as beset him in SBE and MEC. He’s better at reading obscure signs when he sees them and he’s worked a lot more at grounding and interpreting with Jasper and Valerie and with taking one or more of his men with him if he had to relocate for a job.
I don’t know about a future direction for Leila, but it’s a fascinating start to another wonderful story. Loved the connection between Dale and the old charger. Loved that Paul and Flynn had to reassure Dale that he could have a horse, elk herd or elephants, if he wanted. Don’t anyone tell Bear or who knows what he’ll decide to acquire for them!
I presumed that Jasper heard the plane when he was out wolfing.
I thought it was Darcy too at the beginning - tight, classy clothes, dark eyes, familiar with the Ranch, Dale and the way they do things. I thought he was on the phone to organize the transport, using Leila’s credentials.
Just a thought - they’ll need Clara to check out the new horses - just sayin’ !!

Last edited by Hayjude on Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hayjude
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrisychris on Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:50 am

I am totally game for a women on the ranch.

I am I women and I would love to be surround by these men.

For her, I think it would be a bit refreshing after being surrounded by the male exec board "bastards" as she put it.

I love the new horses too. Being a horse person myself, I always look for that one that stands out to me.

So looking for to this!!!
Chrisychris
Coyote

Back to top Go down

Post by hellspark72 on Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:56 pm

Poor Paul! Another person he will want to take care of, but who will probably not want to eat as much as he wants her to, for fear of not fitting back into that gorgeous dress.

I wonder how much we'll see of Jasper while she is at the Ranch. Does he have any experience relating to women other than Clara? Probably very little.

Dale will regard her presence as merely another fun puzzle, at least in the beginning.

Flynn may want to pick her brain a little about her experiences in the world of business, where more and more women start playing big roles. If more of her male colleagues are like Mason was, it can't have always been a particularly supportive environment to work in.

Riley will be his usual friendly self unless she starts making eyes at Dale or Jasper (if she catches a glimpse of him).

Leila herself might be completely shell shocked in the beginning, because of the betrayal and the rather confusing place she ended up in. I can imagine her making a few phone calls to her friend (Darcy?) wanting to be reassured about the guys.
hellspark72
Eagle

Back to top Go down

Post by KateM on Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:13 pm

Okay, I re-read

Leila talks about bring "Empire" down and about "going against the advice of the board".  I know they are at a fashion show event as they talk about the cat walk.

So it makes sense that the FCR contact is Darcy... 

I have a feeling that Leila isn't a model or designer - but the Editor and that Empire is a fashion/lifestyle woman's magazine

Though, alas, I have one small problem... in my tiny mind Leila Perrin, sounds way too much like Lea & Perrins... and she has now been nicknamed Worcestershire Sauce...  sorry....
KateM
Silver Bullet Engineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lindawarner on Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:47 pm

I think Gareth was bred by Philip.
His origins are just waiting to be discovered in one of the books in the study. So many wonderful possibilities for interactions with Dale and Philip. Hope i'm right. No matter what I love that Dale has the pet  a lot of us had been longing to see. Just a little bigger than the dog we had in mind.
Thank you R & R for this early Valentine bonbon. I am savoring every word, repeatedly.

Lindawarner
Coyote

Back to top Go down

Post by Trisha Louise on Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:49 pm

Now THAT is an intriguing thought!
Trisha Louise
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Denicemarcell on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:08 pm

I thought they had an elk herd? Or just a wolf pack and stray cougars?
Twinkle could be renamed Trouble.
I want this Leila to be as strong as the Doctor Who companion (whose name was possibly spelled differently ) I think she will be.
Brain not buying clues last night, now I do agree the mystery fashion plate is Darcy.
@Lindawarner do you think the correct stud book will fall in the study?

Last edited by Denicemarcell on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Denicemarcell
Three Trader's Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Lindawarner on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:13 pm

Either the book will fall or the light will be on in the middle of the night and Philip will be studying the book at his desk.  The lupin smell is what made me go down this path. Gareth's desire to return to his nursery pasture. Can wait to see where this all goes.

Lindawarner
Coyote

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:16 pm

@Lindawarner wrote:I think Gareth was bred by Philip.
His origins are just waiting to be discovered in one of the books in the study. So many wonderful possibilities for interactions with Dale and Philip. Hope i'm right. No matter what I love that Dale has the pet  a lot of us had been longing to see. Just a little bigger than the dog we had in mind.
Thank you R & R for this early Valentine bonbon. I am savoring every word, repeatedly.
I like that idea, Linda.  A lot!!
jkfan
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by Dizzy on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:20 pm

Oh, I love this thought.  Or really “thoughts”.  I hadn’t thought about Gareth being bred by Philip.  But what a wonderful thing that would be.  And Gareth being a pet for Dale is really sweet.  They’d give each other comfort.

Dizzy
Dizzy

http://dj-wl.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nonni on Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:50 pm

Wow!  Once again you have created something that simply draws me in and makes me feel like I am right there experiencing the lives of these wonderful characters.  Thank you so very much.

From the very first sentences, I felt for Leila in her predicament right away and was so relieved that she might have a way out. (although later on I had a moment of wondering if she really did do something wrong, but I'm leaning toward not!). 
I loved the teasing with Paul about shopping, "try on horses all day if you want to". (-; 
Rather fascinating and sweet that Dale has to be told he can love more than one horse when he so obviously loves 4 husbands.   And when each of his husbands understands so perfectly what he is struggling with and gives him "permission" (and some gentle prodding from Paul) to accept his feelings/wants/needs it almost brought me to tears.  

And now, the piece you asked about, what about a woman on the ranch?  Mostly, I think that depends on who Leila is and also what she is going through right now.  
1.  I would imagine that she is generally very confident and assertive. However, she may be extremely shaken by what just happened to her and not be her "typical" self right now.
2.  She obviously travels a lot, but does she have any other experience with country life and/or horses?  If so, she will settle in a lot sooner, than if not.
3.  I wonder about her sexuality.  Is she straight, lesbian, bi?  Is she poly?  Monogamous? Had any experience with discipline relationships? That might make a difference in her openness to and feelings of comfort with ranch.  Which also makes me wonder if any of our guys that come to the ranch are bi.  
4.  What was she actually told, if anything, about where she was going?  Does she even know what state she is in?  That could make a big difference in how she handles this.  Does Leila handle her feelings of anxiety by being watchful and careful or does she handle them by being overly assertive and demanding?
5.  So mostly, I think these are questions that might come up for anyone coming to the ranch (male or female), but there are a couple of things that might be different because she is female.  The first one is rather trivial.  As men strip off to jump in the shower or the river, is that going to be something she is comfortable with and are they going to be comfortable with her?  I think they have gone to the hot springs with Clara so maybe that's not an issue from their end (and maybe she is more like me and would have no issue with it at all!).  The second is a bigger challenge.  I think anyone coming into this situation with little or no knowledge of what they can expect and the insecurities and fears one would have after the attacks made on her, would be shaken and anxious.  However, I think most women also have the added fear of being sexually abused.  Even if she is very used to working with men, she is now in the middle of "nowhere" as far as she knows.  I think Paul might go a long way toward helping ease this fear that most of us women carry everywhere we go.  Also, maybe she needs to know where the phone is and that she can call family/friends and let them know where she is.  A suggestion like that from the men might help her feel safe.  I do wonder why there wasn't a message on the phone for them prior to her arrival. 
Sorry for the long post!  I got carried away.  Thrilled to have this story line and new character

Nonni
Three Trader's Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy Lane on Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:49 am

What a great start to a new story. Thanks Ranger and Rolf!

Ok, I am giving my two cents before reading the comments so I don't get distracted. 

My immediate thoughts of Leila are of strength, bitterness and dissapointment.
She is obviously the head of ( or owns) a large, important  company. She would be thick skinned, driven and highly focused to be in such a position, in an arena that is not hospitable to females. 
( I have so many questions. Did she inherit, step in to help a loved one, make a particularly shrewd business decision? So many possibilities and each one makes her a different person. )
I see a great deal of affection towards Darcy. Why? What ties them together?
leila was willing to accept Darcy's offer of help and she trusted that his solution had possibilites. Yes, she was at the end of her tether,  BUT this will still a leap of faith for her. I do not belive she will be intractable on the ranch, but she has been fighting a bitter battle and will be bringing some of that with her. I think she is just worn.

With all this being said, I really love how you guys turn details I have never considered, into the most amazing story arcs. I LOVED the boys at the horse auction.

Sassy Lane
Sheepdog

Back to top Go down

Post by Nonni on Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:52 am

I never would have considered this, but it seems so right!!

Nonni
Three Trader's Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by quaintblueoak on Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:08 am

I'm desperately and irrationally hoping that Twinkle gets renamed "Pout" haha.

And my computer experience dictates that I speak up and say that just because she wiped the hard drive does NOT mean it's truly wiped - it could still be forensically recoverable.

Is Mason still on the ranch?  Maybe Leila falls in love with him, and Mason mends his errant ways for the love of a beautiful lady, lol.
quaintblueoak
Coyote

Back to top Go down

Post by Trisha Louise on Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:25 am

If Washington Square is set around the time of Cathedral Close I think Mason has moved on from the program.

But 'Twinkle', I'm with Riley on this one, it's a baaad name though I imagine Ivan could compare notes. Wink  I've always loved the names Ranger and Rolf come up with for the horses. 'Hammer' is perfect for a solid boy and if there's a better one for a restless and uncertain horse than 'Tick Tock' then I don't know it. So what's the process for The Naming of the Horses? Do you guys take turns?

Last edited by Trisha Louise on Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Trisha Louise
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy Lane on Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:34 am

@quaintblueoak wrote:... my computer experience dictates that I speak up and say that just because she wiped the hard drive does NOT mean it's truly wiped - it could still be forensically recoverable.

Is Mason still on the ranch?  Maybe Leila falls in love with him, and Mason mends his errant ways for the love of a beautiful lady, lol.

Oh, now that could be interesting on two fronts. 
Firstly,  I am thinking the "board members" may not be hiding their tracks as well as they think they are.  
Secondly maybe Leila did a reasonably thorough wipe, (standard seven times overwrite? Not un-recoverable, just not easy-peasy) only hoping to slow the board and give herself some breathing room. It would be fun to see Dale's talk with Leila regarding this.

Here's a stray thought, Mason is routinely inconsiderate of women especially. He even mentioned once that Dale had to behave the way Mason does, because that is how all the Big Boys operate. Here is a chance for him to see how Dale actually does behave when interacting in this type of environment. Especially if Dale gets ANZ involved and they all come out to the ranch, Dale's particular arena,  to hash it out.  What a Face

Sassy Lane
Sheepdog

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:13 am

I don’t really see why ANZ would need to be involved - Dale’s freelance now and while his first loyalty is to ANZ I think he could quite capably handle this one on his own. Even Leila said if she had the time and space she could dig down and find it herself, so presumably she’s no slouch in that department either. Between both of them they should be able to uncover the bad guys.
Mason’s not still at the ranch at this stage, but what if he came back for a refresher weekend and met the dashing Leila? Would she be impressed with the new, improved Mason who no longer belittles women?
Endless possibilities.
Hayjude
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy Lane on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:01 pm

Oh, I know Mason's not at the ranch anymore, but there are several intriguing ways for him to be brought into the storyline. Maybe he is one of the bastards on the board who mistakeningly thinks he is doing the right or even expedient thing? After all, he "knows" a female can't handle this environment,  right?

As for ANZ, I think there could be a little slight of hand here by Dale. If Dale was Jeremy ' s "White Knight", it stands to reason that there are many darker personalities out there that are stepping up in Dale's absence. 

There are many ways for either ANZ or Mason to be involved in this story. The possibilities are endless. Very Happy

Sassy Lane
Sheepdog

Back to top Go down

Post by Dells on Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:54 pm

Quick, random thought I just had - is Leila going to kind of (emphasis on kind of!) be like Dale’s first client? I know she’s not there as part of their program and she isn’t a client, but in a way, she came to the ranch like all clients do - in an effort to save their career. No, her situation isn’t the same as a client’s would be, but at least to me I think it’s somewhat similar and I think helping her out could be good practice for him whenever he does formally take a client. I could definitely see Dale being a bit of a mentor for her if she asks him for advice?
Dells
Three Trader's Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by quaintblueoak on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:27 pm

Technically Gerry would be Dale's first "client" who wasn't an ANZ project Smile  

What if Mason has to come back to the ranch for a weekend, which we've seen with clients before, because he had a scare with his drinking problem?  I'm trying to quit alcohol myself, and sometimes people slip.

Also as a woman who dresses in mostly men's clothing (I'm female, but don't the clothing on the market for women right now); Leila will probably fit into some of the clothing Paul has on hand for clients - what if she looks really good in the shirts that Dale isn't allowed to wear?  Now that would be funny!!!  I'm somewhere between a US size 6 or 8, women's (I'm 5 foot 8, 130 lbs); and I wear a men's US size 32x32 comfortably.  Maybe Leila will find that what she's wearing is a comfort, comfortable - knowing that strong people have worn them, or that it's the type of clothing that the strong characters on the ranch wear, will be a source of strength for her in this situation.   Personally, I wear a little bit of camouflage and olive drab clothing, because my dad  whom I love and feel safe with served in the USMC, and Col. O'Neil on Stargate is one of my personal heroes.  So there's my argument for the men's clothing for Leila.  As far as boots and shoes go, a second pair of socks should take care of it until someone runs to Jackson, or Leila can mail order something with Paul's help.
quaintblueoak
Coyote

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:51 pm

...or Clara might lend her a pair of boots, until she gets her own...!
Hayjude
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by JL on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:58 pm

I hadn't thought until others suggested it that they might borrow clothes from Clara.  At the moment we don't know where Clara or Leila stand sexually, but I do like the idea of them becoming friends.  It would be nice to for Clara to have a good female friend--she might already, but we haven't been shown that--and maybe Leila could do with a good friend outside of her career world. 
   I'm so excited.  I'm anxious for the next part of this--and thrilled that R&R are letting us be involved--plus I'm excited for more MEC, Quarry Rock, Paget Creek, Boston Harbour....
JL-
JL

Back to top Go down

Post by Dells on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:20 pm

@quaintblueoak wrote:Technically Gerry would be Dale's first "client" who wasn't an ANZ project Smile  
Lol  Very Happy  Good point, but I meant “client” as in someone he mentors, whereas with Gerry, at the time he was just helping him out. I guess maybe it’d be easier to say non-family “client” Wink
Dells
Three Trader's Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Zicat on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:28 pm

I think of it as, Dale would probably be doing the type of job that Philip used to do, helping out those in the corporate field, but I don't ever see him as taking a Client. Even though Paul says, "he is not Philip", he seems to be a lot like Philip in that respect.
Zicat

Back to top Go down

Post by Trisha Louise on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:29 pm

Not saying I have less than dainty feet...but my brother and I have accidentally swapped work boots at the front door and not noticed for days. I couldn't walk in high heels at gun point so am already in awe of Leila but part of me is whispering, "Come over to the comfort side..." 

Then again, I'm sure she could wear some really nice knee high leather riding boots in style. Oh yes.

You know,  maybe Dale could pace his usually very efficient self in finding a solution to Leila's financial issues? No need to rush these things. Ahem.
Trisha Louise
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Denicemarcell on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:36 pm

Could Dale be looking through their books to see if there had been Cleveland Bays on the ranch before and find Gareth?
Denicemarcell
Three Trader's Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Zicat on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:39 pm

I'm comfortable in both jeans and formal wear. I live in jeans and boots during the week, but come Saturday night (if we're going somewhere) out come the dresses and heels.
I just hope Leila won't be too overwhelmed by Ranch life.
Zicat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum