New FCR Story - Washington Square part 1

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Re: New FCR Story - Washington Square part 1

Post by carinucha on Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:33 am

@jefftd wrote:You would question Dale's beverage choice after hearing his accent?

I sometimes wonder if the coffee situation on the ranch isn't as much about coffee being a crutch as it is about caffeine intake.  While tea may have more caffeine in it than coffee, on the ranch it tends to be made by the mug, rather than by the teapot.  Coffee on the other hand tends to get made by the pot, which makes it easier to consume large quantities, which is where, I think, the problem comes in.
You are thinking drip coffee, Jeff. I am thinking espresso and that, my friend, is done by the cup...

carinucha
Silver Bullet Engineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dizzy on Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:40 am

I just thought I’d share this interesting article.

Benefits of coffee

Dizzy

Dizzy
Honorary Ranch Family Member

http://dj-wl.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:43 am

...coffee can also promote World Peace...!

Hayjude
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by jefftd on Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:55 am

@carinucha wrote:
@jefftd wrote:You would question Dale's beverage choice after hearing his accent?

I sometimes wonder if the coffee situation on the ranch isn't as much about coffee being a crutch as it is about caffeine intake.  While tea may have more caffeine in it than coffee, on the ranch it tends to be made by the mug, rather than by the teapot.  Coffee on the other hand tends to get made by the pot, which makes it easier to consume large quantities, which is where, I think, the problem comes in.
You are thinking drip coffee, Jeff. I am thinking espresso and that, my friend, is done by the cup...

Carinucha... coffee means drip (or french press) and espresso means espresso.  Honestly, if someone mentions a coffee drink, like a latte or americano, then I do think espresso, but mentioning coffee in general, and it is drip that comes to mind.  Because of where the ranch is and when the whole coffee drink craze took off, I would also hazard that it was a drip coffee maker that Flynn had banished, because a percolator would have been a bit too old school.  Thank goodness the ranch action takes place before k-cups, because those things are vile (environmentally hideous and a mediocre cup of coffee to boot).

jefftd
Silver Bullet Engineer

http://brizbrizuri.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Zicat on Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:56 am

Just going to throw my "two cents worth" in there. Tea leaves have more caffeine than coffee beans before they are brewed. Prepared, however, tea is diluted quite a bit more than most coffees. Each will vary depending on how strong you like it, though.
I understand also that the caffeine content in tea is extracted during the first ten seconds of brewing.
Zicat

Back to top Go down

Post by Trisha Louise on Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:50 am

Just how does a person mount a horse that tall? I'm looking at some pictures online and I can only imagine a very undignified scramble or climbing a fence first with a good likelihood of splitting my seams. Cleveland Bays are considered a rare and endangered breed according to what I've read. Was trying to find mention if Gareth was intact or not, but even if so are 26 year old horses fertile? Maybe he'd prefer a hot mash instead. Wink

Trisha Louise
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Zicat on Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:57 am

When I was small I had a "Mounting Platform". Fancy name for a fancy Ladder. But I don't think they would have one at the Ranch. I remember Flynn getting up on Bandit when he and Dale were camping (the night Riley got sick), so they probably can get up on a horse without too much effort. I don't remember reading if Gareth was "intact" or not.
Zicat

Back to top Go down

Post by Trisha Louise on Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:02 am

@Zicat wrote:When I was small I had a "Mounting Platform". Fancy name for a fancy Ladder. But I don't think they would have one at the Ranch. I remember Flynn getting up on Bandit when he and Dale were camping (the night Riley got sick), so they probably can get up on a horse without too much effort. I don't remember reading if Gareth was "intact" or not.

Good to know. Thank you. Oh well, I'm sure one of the fellas would be quite happy to give Dale a leg up.
Trisha Louise
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Zicat on Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:08 am

Oh, I want to see that in the Book! Where is that Wish List? Laughing
Zicat

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:49 am

At 26 you’d think Gareth would be more interested in a hot mash than a hot lady...!
And I don’t think Bandit would welcome any competition.
Hayjude
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by jefftd on Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:18 pm

I think the movie Auntie Mame has a scene with Rosalind Russell, a horse, and a mounting platform, and if the isn't a platform, it is several men trying to help her onto her horse.  While I doubt Leila will ever be as accomplished a rider as Auntie Mame (I got stuck!), one never knows.

jefftd
Silver Bullet Engineer

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeDee on Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:09 pm

LOL - Jeff I know exactly what scene you are talking about and it's very funny, however, I think Trisha is talking about Dale getting up on that horse, not Leila.  No one at that ranch would be so irresponsible as to put a guest on an unknown horse.  And besides, this is Dale's horse, I suspect the only other person who might ride it will be Flynn and that will be to gauge his temperament.  

Dee
DeeDee
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeDee on Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:22 pm

While Gareth is not dangerous, this is the scene from Auntie Mame.  Imagine this being Dale (oh and the scene of climbing on the horse is about two minutes in).  

And this line from that scene is better suited to Ivan (lol):  

Fix the animal in the eye with a masterful gaze…
Fix the master in the eye with an animal gaze in the asterful eye…
Fix the aster in the maze with an animal guy!!

DeeDee
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Trisha Louise on Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:32 pm

Lol. Thanks to you both for expanding my film education with such a fun clip. Love the determined yet awkward walk towards the beast in question.

Trisha
Trisha Louise
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeDee on Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:58 pm

lol - yes that awkward walk is because her boots aren't on her feet (the boots they gave her were too small and her feet aren't in the 'foot part').  

Dee

Last edited by DeeDee on Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
DeeDee
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by carinucha on Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:50 pm

Thank you Dee for bringing back so many memories associated with Auntie Mame. I am a big fan of both the film and the books. Highly recommended for those of us who love their characters exuberant, larger than life and with hearts of gold...And the social critique of the mores of the time (some of which alas still prevail) is quite acerbic and snarky.

carinucha
Silver Bullet Engineer

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:23 pm

Auntie Mame - loved both the book and the movie.

I have a friend who's ridden all her life, and she uses a mounting platform when mounting  a draft horse.  In Paget Creek, both Philip and Flynn get on the fence to mount the Clysdales.
jkfan
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by Denicemarcell on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:34 pm

@jefftd
I brew my tea by the pot with loose tea leaves usually. I add cream and sugar when the brewed tea is in the mug (teacups are too small).
Denicemarcell
Polar Bear Wrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by jefftd on Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:17 am

Denice, I am sure there are a lot of folks who do brew tea by the pot, but in FCR you really only hear about mugs being set out and tea bags.  I have two french press carafes, and I use one of them strictly for tea (herbal or green), but when I think of making tea, I generally think of making it by the cup, and the perception is that way because growing up, if tea was being made, it was always by the cup (by the jar as sun tea to be iced later on really doesn't count).

jefftd
Silver Bullet Engineer

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:31 am

Well, I make tea by the half gallon in a way that would make Paul shudder.  Hottest water from tap in a half gallon glass pitcher.  Add two family size Luzianne tea bags, and let sit over night.  My version of 'sun tea' at a time when the sun is in short supply here in Maine.
jkfan
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by jefftd on Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:48 am

Considering how common iced tea is in this country, I am surprised it isn't kept around the ranch during the summer.  I am not sure if Jasper was force fed Sweet Tea in Virginia growing up, but he is the only one living at the ranch who might actually like that vile concoction, so that variation is hopefully not something we will hear about at the ranch.  (Thank goodness Bear doesn't say enough to ask for that.)

jefftd
Silver Bullet Engineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Zicat on Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:49 am

I don't mind how my Tea is made, pot, cup, by the gallon, leaves, tea bag, doesn't matter.
As long as it's strong, with a dash of milk Smile
Zicat

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:01 am

Actually, Paul does make iced tea in the summer.  And I completely agree about southern sweet tea.  I'm not one to shy away from anything sweet, but when I was in South Carolina,.sweet tea was way too sweet for me.  I couldn't believe that one of my co-workers would actually add MORE sugar to his.  I usually asked for half and half in a restaurant.

At least it was brewed tea - not instant.  When I got back to Maine, I thought I'd miss being able to order decent iced tea in a restaurant.  Imagine my delight when I discovered that sometime in the 9 years I'd been away, restaurants had started offering brewed iced tea year round.
jkfan
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by Trisha Louise on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:16 am

“They’ll take care of you when you get there.” The man guided her to her feet as the computer screen flashed up the message. Files deleted.

“Why? Why should they?”

“Because they’re good friends of mine and the accountant one in particular – this is what he does.” The man gave her a faint and rather mischievous smile. “He lives for bringing down the bad guys. He’ll love this.”

Trisha Louise
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeDee on Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:03 am

Yes, he is.  I can't wait to see what has happened and how Dale will handle it - and how many people he'll scare this time.

Dee 

PS - Bless you for continuing to try!
DeeDee
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Trisha Louise on Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:07 am

@DeeDee wrote:Yes, he is.  I can't wait to see what has happened and how Dale will handle it - and how many people he'll scare this time.

Dee

I know! Sure, the man can probably fix the problem whilst perched at the kitchen bench in his pjs, but in my mind I'm getting his James Bond suit out of the wardrobe and making some popcorn. 
Trisha Louise
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeDee on Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:15 am

I'll bring beer and chairs!  I imagine this board will have at least some members who will be aware of who Dale Aden is, which when they find out he's on the case ought to make them very afraid.  I'm looking forward to cheering him on.  

Dee
DeeDee
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dells on Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:20 am

@Trisha Louise wrote:
“They’ll take care of you when you get there.” The man guided her to her feet as the computer screen flashed up the message. Files deleted.

“Why? Why should they?”

“Because they’re good friends of mine and the accountant one in particular – this is what he does.” The man gave her a faint and rather mischievous smile. “He lives for bringing down the bad guys. He’ll love this.”

lol! Hysterics
Dells
Three Trader's Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Trisha Louise on Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:58 am

~~~dream sequence ~~~

The sun filters through the conservatory as Olivia flicks idly through Empire magazine, a cup of tea/decaf tea/ice tea/Long Island Iced Tea/coffee/decaf coffee/hot cocoa/chicory/dandelion root/strychnine (reader's choice) in her delicate hand. The statement from the editor catches her eye.

Accusations of financial mismanagement...investigation by Dale Aden cleared...lawsuit-

DALE ADEN!

The cup clatters.
~~~~

Huh. So you all chose the strychnine after all.  Coffee
Trisha Louise
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Zicat on Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:36 am

@Trisha Louise wrote:~~~dream sequence ~~~

The sun filters through the conservatory as Olivia flicks idly through Empire magazine, a cup of tea/decaf tea/ice tea/Long Island Iced Tea/coffee/decaf coffee/hot cocoa/chicory/dandelion root/strychnine (reader's choice) in her delicate hand. The statement from the editor catches her eye.

Accusations of financial mismanagement...investigation by Dale Aden cleared...lawsuit-

DALE ADEN!

The cup clatters.
~~~~

Huh. So you all chose the strychnine after all.  Coffee
ROTFL 
Yes, I did choose the strychnine! Hysterics
Zicat

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:00 am

Oh, the fatal stuff - definitely! Good one, Trish. fishy
Hayjude
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:04 am

@DeeDee wrote:I'll bring beer and chairs!  I imagine this board will have at least some members who will be aware of who Dale Aden is, which when they find out he's on the case ought to make them very afraid.  I'm looking forward to cheering him on.  

Dee

Yes.... that very thing is what I wanted a nice big juicy chapter on - Dale Aden scaring the pants off bigwig executives without even breaking a sweat....!! Go, Dale!
Hayjude
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by Zicat on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:29 am

Na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, Batman Dale!
Zicat

Back to top Go down

Post by jefftd on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:33 am

@Hayjude wrote:
@DeeDee wrote:I'll bring beer and chairs!  I imagine this board will have at least some members who will be aware of who Dale Aden is, which when they find out he's on the case ought to make them very afraid.  I'm looking forward to cheering him on.  

Dee

Yes.... that very thing is what I wanted a nice big juicy chapter on - Dale Aden scaring the pants off bigwig executives without even breaking a sweat....!! Go, Dale!

We all know that once Caroline issues a statement on Dale's behalf the board will begin to shudder.  Let's face it, they are sexist and think a women can be thrown over easily, which is something anyone not willing to fight can have happen to them.  What they didn't expect was her to fight and to have weapons in her arsenal that would implicate them in wrong-doing.  Let's hear it for the mystery man who happens to know Dale and happens to have those private airstrip co-ordinates.

jefftd
Silver Bullet Engineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:36 am

Na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, Batmystery Man!
Hayjude
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by Zicat on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:37 am

I want to know who the mystery man is too, and also see Dale make the Empire Execs shake in their shoes.
Zicat

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:40 am

Seems to be a popular choice - I hope Rolf and Ranger are listening, in between typing their little fingers off!
Hayjude
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by Zicat on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:42 am

We should also put Trisha's story on the Wish List. Maybe not the strychnine part, but she could maybe faint, spill coffee, tea etc. on her beautiful white dress? Then again, I think most of us would vote for the strychnine. Smile
Zicat

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:06 am

Now, if Leila and Olivia are related in some way...sisters? Cousins?....then the news of Dale helping would get back to Olivia...? Hmmm...No - I think I’ll leave it up to The Brilliant Ones!!
Hayjude
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by jefftd on Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:44 am

On a serious note, do you really want me to add poisoning Olivia to the list?  I can, but it doesn't fit with the tone of anything else R&R have written for the ranch.  Perhaps it is something for the more general list?

I think I may also be in the minority who really wishes Olivia no physical harm but would love to see her reaction when she realizes what a wonderful man Dale has become, and who her husband knows, because she was too wrapped up in the past to enjoy the present (his growing up), and all the gifts (not physical) that Dale could have bestowed if she had actually cared about him.

jefftd
Silver Bullet Engineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Trisha Louise on Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:47 am

No Jeff. I have no desire to poison anyone in real life or fiction. It was a joke.
Trisha Louise
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by jefftd on Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:50 am

I thought it might be, but when it comes to Dale, folks go for the jugular in protecting him, so I wanted to make sure.

jefftd
Silver Bullet Engineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:38 pm

Arsenic would be more suitable for the job, too! Or a mixture of arsenic, strychnine and cyanide like the gals used in their elderberry wine in Arsenic and Old Lace!
Hayjude
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:12 pm

@jefftd wrote:
I think I may also be in the minority who really wishes Olivia no physical harm but would love to see her reaction when she realizes what a wonderful man Dale has become, and who her husband knows, because she was too wrapped up in the past to enjoy the present (his growing up), and all the gifts (not physical) that Dale could have bestowed if she had actually cared about him.
I don't think you're in the minority, Jeff.  None of Dale's husbands wish her any physical harm except, maybe, dumping her in a horse trough.

I really liked Trish's idea of having Olivia find out indirectly (like in a news or magazine article) the kind of man her son has become - especially if it turns out he helped someone she knows.
jkfan
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by Trisha Louise on Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:50 pm

We need to find out in coming installments exactly what Empire is. Is it a magazine, fashion label, a different business venture associated with fashion industry, or something else entirely? Looking forward to the conversation once Leila is settled at the table.

Glad you liked my silliness. Smile
Trisha Louise
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:09 pm

Ooooh, I can’t wait, I can’t wait, I can’t wait....please hurry up, Rolf and Ranger (please, please)
Hayjude
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by mc on Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:17 am

I've finally arisen from my flu bed and here is this fantastic gift! Very late to the comments, which are all so fantastic that I shouldn't add anything.

Having been a female executive (TMI?) myself, I'm so fascinated by what you've started here, and I'm trying to consider it from the character's POV, rather than what could be my own. I think that first and foremost, Leila will be relieved to have gotten out of her predicament without anyone realizing where she is. I can also already see how each member of the Ranch––including the horses!––is going to have an important role to play for her, and her for them.

This is going to be rather new for Dale in the sense that his forensic accounting skills will be put to good use for a project that has nothing to do with ANZ, which I doubt has ever happened (well, he's done some work for Gerry and the Mountain Eagles, but that's nothing compared to this).

She clearly trusts Darcy enough to fly there without any more detail than we've seen and I can already see how much at ease they are all going to put her. I'm thinking she'll get one of the rooms on the middle floor; I can't see them putting her in the attic. 

I don't see her having to shift rocks or anything; she's not the typical CEO rescue. But of course she'll get involved in Ranch activities and chores. And also of course, the four will have to corral Dale as far as how he'll pace himself with this project.

I think it's going to be great for them to have a woman on the Ranch, and though I had some thoughts about who the first one might be, you've blown my piddling imagination out of the water with this incredibly promising and exciting new chapter. 

(And does the Washington Square refer to Washington Square Park?)

So so so utterly fantastic. Thank you!

mc

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:40 am

@mc - I'm so glad you're feeling better and able to join in the discussion.  This is going to be a very interesting story to follow.  R&R are taking us into uncharted waters, but we couldn't ask for better captains on this journey.
jkfan
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by mc on Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:49 am

@jkfan wrote:@mc - I'm so glad you're feeling better and able to join in the discussion.  This is going to be a very interesting story to follow.  R&R are taking us into uncharted waters, but we couldn't ask for better captains on this journey.
The very best of captains...and what a fantastic crew as well!

I'm still giggling at Darcy being able to say, 'hey, *I* know a forensic accountant!' Heh.

I also can't help but think about how wonderfully Dale and Roger would've gotten along, nerding over accountancy. Adorable.

mc

Back to top Go down

Post by Trisha Louise on Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:03 am

@mc wrote:
@jkfan wrote:@mc - I'm so glad you're feeling better and able to join in the discussion.  This is going to be a very interesting story to follow.  R&R are taking us into uncharted waters, but we couldn't ask for better captains on this journey.
The very best of captains...and what a fantastic crew as well!

I'm still giggling at Darcy being able to say, 'hey, *I* know a forensic accountant!' Heh.

I also can't help but think about how wonderfully Dale and Roger would've gotten along, nerding over accountancy. Adorable.

With Dale discovering just how enjoyable recreational reading is, I like to imagine Roger would have had some recommendations. Can't you imagine Paul's delight given the chance to go book shopping with Roger? They must have had some fun days browsing and talking. As it stands, maybe one of the books Dale has on Paul's bookcase will have Roger's name penned in the front cover. There's something quite moving about reading a book that you know has been in the hands of a loved one.

Glad the flu has relinquished its grip, MC. 

Cheers

Trisha
Trisha Louise
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by mc on Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:17 am

Thanks, dear Trisha. And I completely agree. Same thing with the Christmas baubles that have been handed down from generations of Philip's family. That scene in Keeper's Yard where David tells Paul that those objects have only seen joy and good memories touches me deeply every time I read it, and it must be in the several hundreds now.

mc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:39 am

Speaking of books and good memories - my Dad was away on business when I was about 12 and my gift from him when he got home was a hardcover edition of Moby Dick, with the most incredible colour pictures. I remember him giving it to me and writing a sentimental blurb on the cover page and said that in years to come I could read this and remember. Thanks Dad, now years later I love to read this and remember your voice and love.
Hayjude
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by mc on Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:48 am

Judy, that is such a beautiful story. Thank you so much for sharing it.

It is so strange now: all I can think about now is what it would have been like to go to the Ranch as a young executive. Though this is different isn't it? She isn't Mason, or Jack or Dale. She's running TO the Ranch. Different rules...if any rules at all.

Oh, Philip would have loved this!

mc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum