2018 Advent Calendar - December 1st

Go down

2018 Advent Calendar - December 1st

Post by JL on Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:09 am

I hope everyone has fun!  Crossing my fingers that all the links I post will work!
JL-

DECEMBER 1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*GUESS THE QUOTE - I will be posting a quote each day on the advent calendar.  The trick is YOU have to guess what story it is from, and who said it, thought it, or who it is about.  I will give the answer to this on the following day.  So, here's today's:

Jasper just had a line in materialising on the landing, in the dark, right in your path, and looking at you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* Danish Advent Wreath - Project/Recipe provided by Dizzy

Here is a different idea to hold up the candles from the Advent wreath using a braided loaf of bread.  One good thing about this recipe is that no-one is going to actually eat it.  It’s going to be sitting on your table for a month, so you’re really just going for looks.

For the pastry

•          2 envelopes yeast

•          1 c. milk, brought almost to boiling

•          1/2 c. shortening or butter

•          1/2 c. sugar

•          1 tsp. salt

•          2 beaten eggs

•          4 1/2 c. flour

For the filling

•          2 Tbsp. butter (melted)

•          3/4 c. sugar

•          1 tsp. cinnamon

•          1/4 c. golden raisins, raisins, or craisins

Combine last three ingredients.

For the Glaze

•          1 egg yolk

•          2 Tbsp. milk

Directions

•           Place the milk, shortening, sugar, and salt in a small saucepan.  Heat until the shortening (or butter) is just melted.  Cool to lukewarm and sprinkle in the yeast.  Let sit for about 5 minutes while the yeast gets fizzy, or “proofs” (if you want to get technical).

•           Add the eggs and the flour, mix until dough forms.

•           Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic (for about 8 minutes)

•           Place in a greased bowl, turn once, and cover with saran wrap.  Let rest in a warm place (I often use the oven) until double.

•           Punch the dough down, Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.

•           Divide the dough into three pieces.  Roll each of these pieces into strips about 2 inches in diameter.  Brush the pieces with the melted butter and roll in the filling.  Braid the strips together, working from the middle out toward each end. Turn the ends together to form a wreath 12 inches in diameter.  Use a well-greased bundt pan for a tighter-looking wreath or if you don’t have a bundt pan, you can use a cookie sheet as below:

•           Cover and let rise again until double. (about 30-40 min)

•           Brush with the glaze and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Check out other stories Rolf and Ranger have written.  Today's suggestion:  – The Brat and the Bodyguard: http://rolfandranger.blogspot.com/2010/01/brat-and-bodyguard.html
JL
Honorary Ranch Family Member

https://storiesbyjl.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: 2018 Advent Calendar - December 1st

Post by Hayjude on Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:22 am

The quote from Frontier Mall, with Riley thinking of the varied ways he gets told what to do by the other three.
Hayjude
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by Trisha Louise on Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:11 am

What a lovely way to start the season. Thank you, JL. This is a wonderful contribution. And thank you for the recipe, Dizzy. 

Somewhere in the FCR universe Bear is absolutely delighted and hauling out the lights. 

Trisha
Trisha Louise
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Zicat on Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:32 am

We still got a Quote, and a recipe. Awesome!
Thanks, JL & Dizzy!
Cheers, Cat
Zicat

Back to top Go down

Post by Wmarian on Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:28 pm

Happy December Everyone
Wmarian
Stallion

Back to top Go down

Post by JL on Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:51 pm

An addition to today's calendar.  Trivia questions by Trisha Smile

Questions 1st Dec:

1. James and Niall live in which American city?

2. Bear was doing what work when he met David?

3. Phillip reads what story to Gerry and the family in Cobble Hill?

4. In whose company would you be if you visited the Theatre des Bouffes du Nord on December 5th?
JL

https://storiesbyjl.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mc on Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:14 pm

I don't want to jump in with all the answers...but for number 4, I'd be with dear Darcy and Luath. About to have a canelle and coffee before we go to Notre Dame.

Sigh. I love that story. And I really wish I could visit James and Niall in that wonderful West Coast city.

mc

Back to top Go down

Post by mc on Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:17 pm

Oh, and I LOVED The Brat & the Bodyguard! LOVED!

mc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:43 pm

Hadn’t Bear recently become unemployed when he met David in a bar? The circus had moved to winter quarters and left him behind. I wonder if they tried asking him if he wanted to go with them and keep looking after those elephants.
Hayjude
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon4real on Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:36 pm

I am Danish, and I honestly have no idea what that bread thingy is Shocked
Any pictures?
Jon4real
Eagle

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:16 pm

@jon4real - here in the states, we have pastries called 'Danish' - even though they probably have nothing to do with Denmark.  They're usually a dough with a filling.  Here's a picture.

The delicious recipe makes a wreath by braiding the dough and filling together, then joining the ends together to make a circle - or wreath.
jkfan
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:18 pm

Jasper just had a line in materialising on the landing, in the dark, right in your path, and looking at you

Frontier Mall - Flynn manhandles Riley back to bed, Paul gives a swat, and Jas just looks at Riley until Riley goes back to bed.
jkfan
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:27 pm

@Hayjude wrote:Hadn’t Bear recently become unemployed when he met David in a bar? The circus had moved to winter quarters and left him behind. I wonder if they tried asking him if he wanted to go with them and keep looking after those elephants.
I had to look this up, but you're right, Judy.  It's in The Bear Pit.  Ash says he and Bear don't know why the circus didn't take Bear with them to their winter quarters.
jkfan
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:29 pm

Philip reads A Christmas Carol to the family in Cobble Hill.
jkfan
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by jkfan on Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:49 pm

@jon4real - @Dizzy found this picture but couldn't post it on the forum, so she asked me to.  Here's a picture of a Danish Advent Wreath.
jkfan
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon4real on Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:52 pm

@jkfan wrote:@jon4real - here in the states, we have pastries called 'Danish' - even though they probably have nothing to do with Denmark.  They're usually a dough with a filling.  Here's a picture.

The delicious recipe makes a wreath by braiding the dough and filling together, then joining the ends together to make a circle - or wreath.

Hysterics Hysterics

Here we call those wienerbrød, basically “bread from Vienna”. It was invented in Vienna and later brought to Denmark. Sorry, Austria! 

From Wikipedia:
In DanishNorwegian, and Swedish, the term for Danish pastry is wienerbrød or wienerbröd, meaning "Viennese bread".[10] The same etymology is also the origin of the Finnish viineri. In Vienna, the Danish pastry is called Kopenhagener Plunder, referring to Copenhagen, or Dänischer Plunder
Jon4real
Eagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Zicat on Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:57 pm

Zicat

Back to top Go down

Post by Nonni on Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:31 pm

Here is a different idea to hold up the candles from the Advent wreath using a braided loaf of bread.  One good thing about this recipe is that no-one is going to actually eat it.  It’s going to be sitting on your table for a month, so you’re really just going for looks.

I don't think it will be sitting on the table for a month, as "someone" (not saying who as to avoid incriminating any innocents) will be nibbling on the sly.

Nonni
Three Trader's Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Dizzy on Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:42 pm

@Nonni wrote:

I don't think it will be sitting on the table for a month, as "someone" (not saying who as to avoid incriminating any innocents) will be nibbling on the sly.

I so agree, @Nonni!  I love my carbs.  Breads, donuts, things like that.  I’d be nibbling constantly and have to make another each day!  

Peace to you!!

Dizzy

PS-I’d been getting a horrible “pop-up” claiming I was a “winner”.  It did NOT feeling like winning when I couldn’t post or would be reading on the forum and it’d pop up!  This is the first time I’ve been able to post for a couple days!  Go me!
Dizzy

http://dj-wl.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nonni on Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:46 pm

Oh Dizzy! I've felt so lonely and disconnected the few times I couldn't post!! Sorry that happened to you.
My absence for the past week has simply been due to running in too many directions at once.

Nonni
Three Trader's Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Dizzy on Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:52 pm

@Nonni wrote:Oh Dizzy! I've felt so lonely and disconnected the few times I couldn't post!!   Sorry that happened to you.  
My absence for the past week has simply been due to running in too many directions at once.  
I had wondered where you were, @Nonni!  You were missed.   I’m hoping that things are settling down for you.  But with the holidays, that seems like a pie in the sky hope!

My biggest issue was that someone had asked for a picture of the Advent Wreath and I couldn’t post!  I didn’t want them thinking I was ignoring them!  Thankfully, @jkfan came to my rescue!  

I’m glad to see you back for a bit, Nonni!  

Peace!

Dizzy
Dizzy

http://dj-wl.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nonni on Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:54 pm

Well, I got home late from running our Morris practice on Monday night and there were like 80 notifications and I got completely overwhelmed (but happy that there were so many fun things to read waiting for me!). I just had to put it aside until today when I finally had time to relax a bit and really read through everything (of course by today there were 100's)!

Nonni
Three Trader's Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon4real on Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:58 am

@Nonni wrote:

Not to mention that thing is gonna get furry if it sits on a table for a month  Can\'t See
Jon4real
Eagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum