Christmas Story - Oregon Way part 2b

Go down

Christmas Story - Oregon Way part 2b

Post by Ranger52899 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:44 pm

2b

With last night’s medication still heavy in his system, Dale rapidly dozed off in the passenger seat and he slept through the morning. The roads were clear, the traffic not too heavy and by lunchtime Flynn crossed the Mississippi and pulled off the road into the car lot of a small and elderly diner, old and far enough out of the way that only a few cars shared the lot and it would be quiet inside. Dale stirred when Flynn stroked his face, Flynn saw him blink under the dark glasses as he oriented. Whatever it was like to come to in a strange place with no way to see, he didn’t let it show. Flynn took the glasses gently from him.

“Hey. How are you doing?”

“Ok.” Dale instinctively ran a hand over his eyes. “Where are we?”

Flynn covered his hand to stop him rubbing. “Just outside La Crosse, at a diner. We’ll get some lunch and take a break. Any headache?”

“No, nothing.” Dale felt for the seatbelt release. Flynn popped it for him.

“Stay there, I’ll come get you.”

“I can find my way out of a car.” 

Into a car park with no idea of obstacles or what was coming at him from any direction. No, not a chance.

“First time of asking, with a good attitude.” Flynn said very definitely. He saw the minute sigh, but Dale stopped.

“…Yes sir.”

Flynn found their jackets, walked around to open his door and helped him into his coat. They ate sandwiches and chips in the diner which were easy enough for Dale to eat with his fingers, and while it was easy to see he wasn’t hungry, he ate what Flynn insisted on with a sincere effort that made it difficult not to relent about the sandwich or hug him. Flynn took him to the bathroom and helped him navigate there, picking up on the pitying glance of another man as he passed them. He didn’t hold out much hope that Dale missed it.  

In the car, with the seat tipped further back and the heating turned up to take the chill out of the air, Dale rapidly fell asleep again. It was a long, quiet day of grey road and listening to Dale’s soft breathing as he drove, hoping the rest was helping the scrambled signals in his brain. They pulled into Fort Dodge at five pm, and Flynn followed the simple directions Caroline had issued him for the B&B she had booked on their behalf. It turned out to be an elderly and rather beautiful Victorian house, filled with lace and silk patchwork and wrought iron light fittings, and Flynn guided Dale up to the warm room on the first floor, following the round and middle aged landlady who unlocked the door for them.

“Your assistant arranged for me to bring dinner up to you in your room if you wanted,” she said with her eyes on Dale as Flynn helped him take a seat on the bed. He was heavy eyed, pale and looking tired, never a state of mind he handled well, and his shoulders were up around his ears. “She explained you were having a difficult few days.”

“Please don’t put yourself to any trouble. We can go out for something, I could do with the walk.” Dale said courteously.

Nice try, kid.

“You came out of hospital this morning, we’re going nowhere.” Flynn said bluntly. “If you wouldn’t mind sorting us out with something light we can eat here we’d be very grateful.” He added to the landlady. “Anything will do, we’re not fussy.”

“We really don’t need to be such a nuisance.” Dale said even more politely. The woman’s eyes warmed further and she caught Flynn’s eye with a glint of amusement that said she was someone’s mother, she knew that tone well, and no, she wasn’t buying it either.

“It’s no trouble at all. I’ll bring you up a tray in about half an hour. There’s plenty of towels in the bathroom, let me know if you need more pillows or blankets.”

“Thank you.” Flynn waited until she closed the door, then helped Dale out of his coat and dug in the small bag he’d brought in for night wear. Dale grimaced as Flynn helped him out of his sweater.

“I’m fine, I’ve been asleep all day-”

“And we’re in a strange place, and that’s bad enough without not being able to see it or know where you are or where anything is.” Flynn dropped the sweater over the end of the bed and sat down beside him. “So let’s find the words. What’s scaring you the most right now?”

“I am not remotely scared of a boarding house.” Dale said irritably. “I would like a bathroom if there is one here.”

“Be quick.” Flynn guided Dale’s hand to the bed, helping him find his way around the brass bedstead. “It’s a large double bed, and there’s patchwork everywhere, most of it pink, on the bed, on the chair to your left and draped over the chest of drawers. It looks like an explosion in a Victorian drapery. The bathroom door is here, in reach of the bed. Sink ahead of you, bath to your left, toilet to the right.”

“Then I can manage from here.” Dale located the sink and took a firm step away from him. “Thank you.”

“Sweet.” Flynn patted him firmly on the seat of his jeans. “Call if you need me.”

ANZ’s finest shut the door with a firm click that made outwardly very clear that he was a man of independence and fraying patience who was being properly and responsibly calm, and who desired a few moments away from unwanted, quite unnecessary and rather overbearing attention. And that he was definitely not, in no way at all, perish the very thought, cross his heart and hope to die, desperate for comfort or finding this place terrifying, or anything like that.

That was getting sorted out before they did anything else this evening.

Flynn spent several minutes unpacking the few belongings they had brought, turned the bed down and opened the sash window a little to let air into the room. It was icy outside, there would be a hard frost tonight, but it was a habit of home that Dale had learned from him: he needed fresh air to be able to relax and sleep. The patchwork quilt concealed several thick blankets and the mattress was soft. For a tired, overstretched brat in a challenging state of mind it wasn’t ideal, but it could be worse.

Dale found his way out of the bathroom, groping until he found the bedstead. From the dampness of his hair, he’d made vigorous use of the sink in a valiant attempt to wake himself up a little. Flynn helped him out of his jeans and into the t shirt and shorts he slept in.

“Lie down and get comfortable.”

“It really isn’t necessary, I’ve slept all day.”

“If we were at home, you wouldn’t have been out of bed at all.”

Well we’re not at home, are we? We’re days from home. It’s nearly Christmas and we are stuck here, days from home.

Riley would have said it. Dale had a line in leaving those words, hanging unsaid in a tone that icicles dripped off when he was fed up enough. Flynn guided him to lie down, pulling pillows over for him to bank himself against. “There’s your phone. Call home and let them know where we are.”

If they’re what’s heaviest on your mind, kid, let’s go straight there and get this out.

With the detached expression to his face that meant a good deal more than the rising irritation it looked like, Dale stabbed rapidly at the numbers. He didn’t need to see where any of them were, his fingers just knew the patterns. Flynn folded and put aside his clothes, listening to the ring tone and Paul’s voice far away.

“Falls Chance.”

“It’s us.” Dale said shortly.

“You’re feeling that good about it?” There was the creak of a kitchen chair being drawn out. “Are you at Fort Dodge yet?”

“Apparently. We’re residing in a B&B Flynn doesn’t approve of the décor of. I don’t mind it in the slightest but then I can’t see it.”

“And you’re really, really fed up, aren’t you?” Paul’s voice was soft with sympathy. “How are you feeling honey?”

“I may bite the next person who asks me that.”

“I wouldn’t try it.” Flynn advised him. Paul laughed.

“Well I’m in another state so I’ll risk it. Are you tired?”

“I damned well shouldn’t be, I slept all day.”

“So that’s a yes then? Sweetheart, you’re concussed.”

“So people keep telling me.” Dale said acidly.

“And that snotty tone is making you feel better,” Paul agreed. “Ok I see the plan. Go on then honey, do the face and the board room voice, let’s go for it and get it out of your system, I’ll help. Shall we start with ragging on the state and work down, or the B&B décor and work up? I don’t know much about Idaho but I’m sure the gems suck more than they’re supposed to. And just damn the whole potato thing.”

“Not falling for that.” Dale said even more shortly.

Paul’s voice was gentler, softly teasing which usually worked well with him in this knife edge frame of mind. 

“What, getting tricked into cheering up? Or telling me you’re feeling lousy?”

Since that begged the obvious point that anyone resisting help to regulate wanted to stay mad and disconnected, Dale wisely left it alone. Flynn, having arranged the room to avoid anything Dale could possibly stumble over or knock himself on, sat down on the bed beside him, put an arm around his waist and pulled Dale into his lap, wrapping him up, phone and all, which was most of what he needed.

“What are you all doing?”

“I’ve been sorting rooms. Gerry and Ash called, they’re arriving tomorrow-” Paul said it briskly. They weren’t in the habit of tiptoeing around anything with Dale, it never helped, and Flynn caught on at about the same time he felt Dale stiffen and sheer ice enter his tone.

“They weren’t due until Friday. So they’ve had to change their arrangements and leave work early to help out because I’m keeping Flynn out of action when the whole ranch is under snow and we have stock in need of-”

And there we go. People changing plans because of you; being the cause of more work and inconvenience; feeling helpless, feeling a burden; … yep, that was all the rest of his major buttons now pushed. That ended any chance of helping him down off this ledge gently. Well if they were going to get to this sooner or later, sooner was better.

“We’ll call you back.” Flynn said to the phone and turned it off. He tossed it out of reach and rolled Dale briskly over on one hip towards him on his lap, clamping him strongly enough around the shoulders to be sure his head was upright, against his shoulder and there was no risk of jarring him. With the other hand he stripped Dale’s shorts down and Dale yelped and started to squirm at the first few swats he landed accurately and soundly to his bare behind.

“Ok! Flynn ok, I’ll stop!”

He sounded penitent and not at all surprised, which said a lot. That would have been enough for Riley. Dale, when you needed to change his gears, needed pushing hard enough to be able to let go of whatever he was currently chewing on and to focus on you instead, and since he didn’t plan on needing to do this again tonight, Flynn swatted him sharply enough in the right places to ensure that Dale’s squirming got a whole lot more animated and his voice slipped rapidly to wholehearted sincerity.

Flynn – I’m sorry, I’ll stop, I swear I’ll stop, I’m sorry-”

“What do I expect of you?” Flynn demanded, not letting him move. The answer came immediately and with an attitude more or less jumping up and down with a sign saying ‘would you please look how good I am’.

“To work on staying calm.”

“And if you need help?”

“Talk about it. Accept help to calm down and stay connected.”

“So?”

Dale’s hands were clutching his shirt front, his voice was shaky but a whole lot more real and he said it immediately, “I hate that I’m making more work for the others.”

“I know you do.” Flynn said just as bluntly. “Why?”

“We both know why,” Dale broke off, yelping as Flynn swatted him again, soundly, “Flynn! I know. I know where it comes from, I know why. It’s a belief that it isn’t safe to be bloody useless and be causing them a hell of a lot more work.”

“Is it true?”

“No. Because they’ll be fine and I’m not personally responsible for the ranch.” Dale’s forehead pressed hard against his chest, his voice was muffled. “Because we cover for each other, and I know. I know the sky won’t fall if I let them. I know it’s stupid, I just hate doing it. This was not what was supposed to happen. We are not supposed to be pissing around in Iowa when there are things I need to be doing, when it’s messing up everyone else’s plans.”

“Yes.” Flynn agreed quietly. “Your plans too. This is not what you expected. Which means?”

Dale sighed, but his voice was quieter. “I don’t have the control over this and I don’t appreciate it. I don’t want to be here. Which is also ridiculous because it is what it is, and we have to make the best of it. And I need to stay calm and not let this get to me because it doesn’t help. And I could be trying harder. I’m sorry.”

“And it’s frustrating, and disorienting and very alarming when you can’t see what’s going on.” Flynn said quietly in his ear. “It’s a hell of a shock.”

“Actually no, that part’s not…” Dale shrugged, not sure of how to find the words. “It’s temporary, it’s annoying, that’s all. The part really bugging me is the time wasting when there’s things to do. I know that’s ridiculous.”

“No, not at all. I know you want to go home. What are we going to do about it?”

Dale sighed. “I need to stop fixating and go with it.”

“No, you just need to work on staying calm. That was all I asked you to do.” Flynn ran a hand down his back. “I know it’s not easy, I’m here and I’ll give you all the help you need, but it’s going to happen, kid.”

“Because you say so.”

That was never sass with him. Dale was giving himself permission to give in, to give up that burden and let him lead, and Flynn didn’t misunderstand it.

“You’re right. Repeat after me, ‘calm is a choice I’m making to allow my body to heal’.”

Riley would have rolled his eyes, huffed, would have had to show some resistance. Dale simply said it after him. Soberly and sincerely.

“Calm is a choice I’m making to allow my body to heal.”

“Good.” Flynn lifted him over to the bed. “Get under the covers. I want to hear that ten times.”

Dale slid under the covers and turned over into his arms, and Flynn held him closely, hearing him repeat the mantra quietly, ten times in steady succession.

The landlady knocked on the door not long after he was done. She had a large tray on which was set another smaller tray covered with finger sized foods, all dry and neat to eat, and Flynn saw at one glance the thought she’d put behind it for someone with no vision.

“Thank you, how very kind of you. That’s ideal.”

“If you need anything else, let me know.” The landlady took two bottles of juice from under her arm and handed them to him. “Goodnight, sleep well.”

Flynn heeled the door closed behind him and put the tray down on the bed between them, guiding Dale’s hand to it. “This is basically appetisers. Pepper, cucumber and tomatoes here, lettuce here. This is cheese, pepper jack, brie, sharp cheddar here and blue cheese. These are meatballs, and these are beef and horseradish roll slices.”

And light, fresh things that he usually liked and preferred to eat, and a tray large enough that he didn’t need to worry about dropping things. Dale stretched out on his side with Flynn and the two of them picked through the contents of the tray. He ate quite well. The difference to lunchtime was noticeable, and it wasn’t the tension of trying, it was the genuine quiet and ease in his body of having let go. They were nearly done when Flynn’s cell phone rang. Flynn picked it up, glanced at the number and handed it to Dale.

“It’s home. Looks like Paul got tired of waiting.”

Dale lay back, finding the speaker button without effort. “Hey. I’m sorry, we were eating.”

Riley’s voice answered, cheerful and somewhat indignant.

“Flynn didn’t spank you did he? You get a pass, you’re injured. Make sure he knows that.”

“You can try telling him if you like. It didn’t work for me.”

“Flynn!” Riley sounded accusing. “Tea and chocolate! Sympathy! What is wrong with you?”

“I’ve got it covered halfpint.” Flynn lifted the tray down to the floor and leaned back into the pillows beside Dale, pulling Dale over to lay against him. “What did you do today?”

“Dug out the troughs for fun. And then because I nearly froze to death doing that, I got stuck in the attic cleaning out a room.”

“Is the snow any deeper?”

“About two feet now.”

“And how many snowmen do we have?”

“Only one, it’s not great snow for building with. Any improvement on the vision?”

Flynn saw Dale hesitate, torn between wanting to be truthful and not wanting to scare or upset him. He answered for Dale, calmly.

“Not yet. We’re working on it. He slept most of the drive today, and he’s in bed now.”

“And nothing else is wrong?”

“No. No headache, his balance is good, his memory is good. He’s all right halfpint. All ok.”

“Good.” Riley said firmly. “Milk it, Dale. Milk it. Paul wants the phone.”

“Then hide it.” Dale said, “In the snow somewhere.”

Riley laughed. “Next time, maybe?”

“You’re no help.”

“Only because I had him by the back of the jeans.” Paul was laughing too. Somewhere in a kitchen in Wyoming the two of them were wrestling. “I can hear you’re feeling better.”

Dale sighed but his voice was sincere. “I’m sorry about snarling at you earlier. It’s hasn’t been the best day.”

“I bet it hasn’t. I know it’s hard. This is only temporary sweetheart. It will pass.”

“In about four days of road travel.” Dale said heavily. “Which I’m not stressing about, honest. Please would you tell Ash and Gerry thank you for stepping up and helping? I hope their plans weren’t spoiled.”

“Nothing is spoiled hon, stop it.” Paul said very firmly. “Gerry’s always up for any reason to get more days here, and they wanted to help. That’s what we do, we help each other out. So let them help you. Don’t worry about us or anything here, you’re going to be home soon and we have it covered.”

Allowed out of bed for a bath, which Flynn supervised closely from start to finish, they went to bed early. And to Flynn, that meant in bed, lights out, no talking, which annoyingly meant Dale was asleep almost immediately. He stirred at some point during the night, aware of children’s voices. Chattering, too far away to make out the words, but there were several of them. He raised his head for a moment, listening. It faded away as soon as he focused on it.

The sounds of the guesthouse were very different to the ranch. The rumble of the road traffic, the sound of someone’s tv far away on another floor. The rattle of pipes in the walls as the ancient heating system worked. Dale felt for the bed rail, starting to slide himself very gently out of bed not to disturb Flynn. It didn’t work. He felt Flynn reach for the bed side light and snap it on almost the second he moved.

“Need any help?”

Dale blinked, startled. Flynn put a hand out to touch his face.

“It’s ok. Do you know where we are?”

“You’re right. There’s a lot of chintz.”

It took only a second for Flynn to realise what he meant. “You can see it?”

Dale reached for and found Flynn in the blur.

“It’s blurry – very blurry – but yes, I can see outlines. And colour blocks. That’s definitely better.”

Continued tomorrow in part 3
Ranger52899
Ranger52899
Womble in Charge
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Re: Christmas Story - Oregon Way part 2b

Post by loyalpainter88 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:39 pm

What a chapter ! 

I knew the blindness was temporary but getting it confirmed it relieving .... 
Poor Dale so stressed out ... 
I love sarah and her stories ... Its like she helps the 4 year old dale enjoy things children did then .... 
I never read much about American history all that much , the Oregon trail seems very fascinating ! Am excited to read about it know what it means the symbolism connecting the journeys that Flynn and Dale take and people who had taken this journey before ...

Dale definitely seems much better than in MEC .. he is able to vocalise a lot ... I happy for him ( is it weird to think so even if he is a fictional character ??) 

As of now only Gerry and Ash are coming to the ranch ... Wonder if Tom and Jake make it too

Thank you rolf and ranger 
You guys are really the best !! 

By the way am all geared up thinking Flynn is gonna have a hard time ... ... So every chapter i think now i will find the reason ... I know lol ... Its your fault for saying it  before ....lol 

Still love you guys
loyalpainter88
loyalpainter88
Stallion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mackenzietwin on Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:10 pm

I am loving this story!! Thank you so much for sharing it! I’m now ready for the computer graphics to display “Flynn has died from dysentery.” Or some such disease! Oregon Trail was a favorite game growing up. We always tried to see how far we could make it with little food, going fast, and leaving at the wrong time of year!!
Mackenzietwin
Mackenzietwin
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Maaliem on Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:49 pm

I wanted to cheer when Dale could see the room decor ....even if it was chintz. I could picture that B&B. I’ve stayed in B&Bs like that. Thanks for the move forward and the slice of good news. I agree with Riley. Milk it.

Maaliem
Stallion

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:00 pm

Yes, now he’s getting better he should milk it for all he’s worth - but that’s never been a Dale thing, has it? 
Maybe now he can settle down and enjoy the unexpected trip.
I dimly remember a required reading book back in primary school - something about the Oregon Trail with a picture of a young girl and a covered wagon on the cover.
Enjoying this so much. Thank you.
Hayjude
Hayjude
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by Houndnhorse1 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:37 pm

So great that Dale now allows himself to misbehave! Brat like behavior is a true sign that Dale is able to let go that iron control and get some relief from bratting! Yay! Paul must be so pleased.
Houndnhorse1
Houndnhorse1
Honorary Ranch Family Member

Back to top Go down

Post by abouttime2stop on Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:35 pm

Dale could really enjoy this ride with his vision coming back. They are over half way through Iowa an should make Sioux city during the day tomorrow.
abouttime2stop
abouttime2stop
Hike Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonquest1313 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:44 pm

Enjoyed these two chapters very much, poor Dale just so much stress, I figured Flynn would need to straighten him out sooner or later.  I wonder if Sara brought a few friends around and that is what Dale heard.
dragonquest1313
dragonquest1313
Foal

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:47 pm

@loyalpainter88 wrote:
As of now only Gerry and Ash are coming to the ranch ... Wonder if Tom and Jake make it too
Oh, yes, wouldn’t it be great to see them and see if Tom has benefited from helping Ri and Dale with the Levels. Flynn did think in CC that he would extend to Tom a formal invitation to join them for Christmas. It would be great to see Tom healthier and happier - talking about the things they’ve seen in Thailand and elsewhere. Pleeaassee, R and R. (Being greedy with great respect here - I do realize it is Christmas and we already have our present!)
Hayjude
Hayjude
A What

Back to top Go down

Post by loyalpainter88 on Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:14 am

@Hayjude wrote:
@loyalpainter88 wrote:
Oh, yes, wouldn’t it be great to see them and see if Tom has benefited from helping Ri and Dale with the Levels. Flynn did think in CC that he would extend to Tom a formal invitation to join them for Christmas. It would be great to see Tom healthier and happier - talking about the things they’ve seen in Thailand and elsewhere. Pleeaassee, R and R. (Being greedy with great respect here - I do realize it is Christmas and we already have our present!)

Thats what i thought too !!!
loyalpainter88
loyalpainter88
Stallion

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeDee on Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:52 am

Ranger and Rolf, 

I love being able to come home (or be home, like I was yesterday) and have a story pop into my box.  Thank you again for sharing this story.  It's so wonderful to have something to read on this ever growing story.  

I can really relate to Dale's frustration, he is a very hands on, 'must fix it' type person and he can't fix this.  He still, after all this time, feels he must contribute and share his part of the load and again, he can't.  He hates being a burden, likely due to his experiences as a very young child, and right now he must rely on others to take care of him.  His whole world is shaken and there's nothing he can do about it.  This is one experience that will force him to rely on those that love him and take his share of that love without giving in return - and yet if he thinks about it THAT is the most precious gift he can give them.  His trust.  

As you two well know, Jasper is a favorite of mine and that conversation between them was very special.  He has a calmness about him when he speaks that none of the others have.  He doesn't tell you so much as make you think about 'whatever' is happening and he always has a purpose rooted in his beliefs of healing (and Dale is very connected to that).  

Poor Riley, I know they aren't leaving him out of any of these conversations, but this must be real hell for him to know Dale can't see and is about to travel and he doesn't like it.  Paul has some medical knowledge, Jasper likely knows more about what is affecting Dale than he is sharing (he knows about grounding and stressing and how that can affect someone as sensitive as Dale) and Flynn is there and has the confidence of both his own knowledge and the direct contact with the medical staff, but Riley is left with trusting that it's 'ok' and he's not so sure about that.  I did love that he teased Dale about his actions with the medical staff and of course that brings back the comment of Paul's not to make any staff cry.  So as brief as that part was, it still brought a huge smile while reading it.  

So moving on to chapter 2b... 

First, love it's from Flynn's pov.  That's always a treat!

This, however, got me back into Dale 'sympathy' mode:  

ANZ’s finest shut the door with a firm click that made outwardly very clear that he was a man of independence and fraying patience who was being properly and responsibly calm, and who desired a few moments away from unwanted, quite unnecessary and rather overbearing attention. And that he was definitely not, in no way at all, perish the very thought, cross his heart and hope to die, desperate for comfort or finding this place terrifying, or anything like that.

May I just say 'poor Dale'.  I already see what's coming.  Run, Forrest, Run!  I can honestly say that everyone else's calmeness would drive me CRAZY.  I'd be sniping as much as Dale, in fact, I think I thought of better lines than you two came up with.  I love these men dearly, but when you need to have a mood, someone should just let you have it!  

Ok, done, sorry.  

Ok, maybe not just yet - again, I do get Dale.  No one wants to be the burden.  He's feeling heavily as a burden and I get this!  Run, Forrest, run!

Too late.  Yep, saw THAT coming.  

You know, I love that Dale will always be Dale and that these things will always bother him and the at the same time I hate that no matter what, it won't change for him.  This will always be a problem.  Dale learned early that to be a burden creates a dislike in the people who should love you, and no matter what these men do for him, that will always be his thinking.  Fortunately, they have a solution for that, but it's rather sad that he can't know that 'down time' happens and it's 'ok'.  

Last bit, I promise:  

Love this:  

That’s what we do, we help each other out. So let them help you. Don’t worry about us or anything here, you’re going to be home soon and we have it covered.”

You make life with these men so wonderful - I wish real life were so nice!

Dee
DeeDee
DeeDee
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by JL on Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:18 am

@Mackenzietwin wrote:I am loving this story!! Thank you so much for sharing it!  I’m now ready for the computer graphics to display “Flynn has died from dysentery.” Or some such disease!  Oregon Trail was a favorite game growing up.  We always tried to see how far we could make it with little food, going fast, and leaving at the wrong time of year!!
ROFL!  I've been having flashes of that computer game as I've read this too!
JL-
JL
JL

https://storiesbyjl.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Houndnhorse1 on Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:25 am

Lol, Dee! I enjoyed your comments.
Houndnhorse1
Houndnhorse1

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeDee on Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:56 am

Thank you Julie - it's never good to read and comment at the same time.  Your best and worst thoughts come out.  I suspect you understand that!  lol!

Dee
DeeDee
DeeDee
Yak Whomper

Back to top Go down

Post by Denicemarcell on Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:31 am

I am beginning to suspect Sarah is there to remind Dale speed is relative. He is frustrated by the slowness of their car journey, she and her travel companions moved only as fast as oxen walked. 4 days travel would have been a miracle to them.
Denicemarcell
Denicemarcell
Three Trader's Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Nonni on Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:57 am

@Denicemarcell wrote:I am beginning to suspect Sarah is there to remind Dale speed is relative. He is frustrated by the slowness of their car journey, she and her travel companions moved only as fast as oxen walked. 4 days travel would have been a miracle to them.

Wow, yes! Talk about slowing down!!

Nonni
Hike Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon4real on Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:39 am

I am LOVING this! I was going to log in and reread now but then remembered that we’re getting a new part today! So I just wanna remind @ranger52899 that it is new day now bounce
5:30 AM still counts as a new day and obviously the main priority is to give us more story 
Jon4real
Jon4real
Eagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayjude on Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:09 am

We’ll sing Ranger that song

.......Morning has broken
Like the first morning....

etc, etc....
Hayjude
Hayjude